PDA

View Full Version : Pimp My Blinkdog

Overlard
2007-07-21, 07:35 AM
I'm taking leadership as a feat, and my cohort will be a blinkdog.

Does anyone know if they can take class levels? They've got the int for it, and I don't see why they couldn't be fighters or rogues or similar classes.

And can you think of good magic items for them? The blinkdog has 5,600gp to start off with.

Citizen Joe
2007-07-21, 08:06 AM
How about an amulet of Natural armour +1 (2000 gp) and a pack of magebred riding dogs trained for defensive fighting (600 gp each I think 6 dogs = 3600 gp)

DraPrime
2007-07-21, 08:55 AM
Pretty much anything with an intelligence score of 3 or higher can take class levels. Your DM might not approve, but if he/she does I recommend taking levels in rogue. A teleporting dog with sneak attack is something I can't resist.

Benejeseret
2007-07-21, 09:08 AM
There is a prc, something along the lines of 'Beast Heart Adept' that lets you make a blink dog your companion (not just cohort). It then gain levels similarly to an animal companion gaining HD, str, con and evasion/devotion etc. Progressing in that prc gives a second companion (two blink dogs!) and special flanking abilities you share with them.

If for levels, rogue would be a good one. So would Scout, charge in and get the extra +1d6 or more skirmish (ie. no need to setup sneak attacks). Charge, dimension door out...repeat, repeat, repeat.

Bene

Armads
2007-07-21, 09:42 AM
Give it monk levels, using the decisive strike variant. Give it sleight of hand too =P

So it can teleport and make a DC 20 sleight of hand check to steal a ring off any BBEGs you might face, or deliver a nasty smack.

palindrome
2007-07-21, 11:48 AM
In savage species there is a Necklace of Natural Weapons that allows you to apply weapon enchantments to natural weapons (+3, flaming, keen, even vorpal depending on how you consider bite damage). The base price for it is 2600 gp, then you add the price for whatever enchantments you layer on.
Sure to turn any monster into a much more effective combatant.
You should also talk to your dm about adapting the typical magic items to use for a dog. Look into purchasing a muzzle that works like a helm of true seeing, bracers fitted for a dog's forelegs, even ear piercings to use as a ring slot.

Keld Denar
2007-07-21, 03:46 PM
Give a monk level to get flurry, then take the sun school tactical feat from Complete Warrior. That gives it an attack at th end of every blink, which is all kinds of cool.

skywalker
2007-07-21, 04:02 PM
I like lussman's idea.

This is also the coolest thread title EVER!

Glyphic
2007-07-21, 04:15 PM
Not sure what sun school tactic is, but I thought you couldn't flurry with natural attacks. Just unarmed strikes and monk weapons.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-21, 11:47 PM
Not sure what sun school tactic is, but I thought you couldn't flurry with natural attacks. Just unarmed strikes and monk weapons.

You can flurry with the "unarmed strike"(in this case, probably a series of headbutts), and then tack on the natural attack(bite) at the end of it.

There is a prc, something along the lines of 'Beast Heart Adept' that lets you make a blink dog your companion (not just cohort). It then gain levels similarly to an animal companion gaining HD, str, con and evasion/devotion etc. Progressing in that prc gives a second companion (two blink dogs!) and special flanking abilities you share with them.

Where might one find said Prestige Class?

Dareon
2007-07-22, 06:33 AM
You can flurry with the "unarmed strike"(in this case, probably a series of headbutts), and then tack on the natural attack(bite) at the end of it.
For some reason, that's a hilarious mental image. *bonk* *bonk* *bonk* *chomp*

Dungeonscape, if memory serves. There's also a preview (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4) on Wizards.com

DraPrime
2007-07-22, 09:05 AM

As dareon said, its' in Dungeonscape. It basically lets you have monster companions instead of animal companions. Very awesome. And ypu can in fact get a blink dog companion at level 1. But, it won't be able to take class levels, so you might as well get the blinkdog as a cohort.

Keld Denar
2007-07-22, 09:12 AM

Even if you can't actually flurry, you have the flurry ability, which is the prereq for sun school. Sun school is in Complete Warrior, in the tactical feats section with combat brute and elusive target, etc.

While I can't quote it directly, I can "speculate" that it gives you 3 abilities. One of those abilities "might" give you a free attack on an adjacent foe when you end your turn next to them after a dimension door. Normally, dimension door ends the turn of the person or creature that uses it immediately.

The other abilities are ok, but not nearly as cool as that. Take a look for it if you have comp warrior, or just go to your local Barns & Nobles and give it a look.

Overlard
2007-07-23, 05:03 AM
As much as I love the headbutting blinkdog idea, I doubt my DM would let me take monk levels for him. I am thinking about 1 level of fighter (for BAB & a feat), followed by one of wilderness rogue (sneak attack and skill points), then another fighter, after that... who knows? I think ranger would fit thematically, but all the class features are pretty useless for them (they already get track, and they won't be able to use 2WF or archery feats). Maybe scout? Or would that be too cheesey with the dim door at will ability?

The necklace of natural weapons is exactly what I'm after, I think I'll upgrade that to holy when I have the cash. :smallsmile:

The beast heart adept PrC has given me a great idea for a future character, but would take me too far from my current concept.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-23, 06:41 AM
Unfortunately the amulet is a wondrous item, not a weapon so if you cant to have the holy added you've got to talk your DM into it. Given how useful it is to PCs with multiple nat attacks and how ridiculously expensive it is added holy power might well put it miles and miles out of your price range/budget:smallfrown:

Overlard
2007-07-23, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately the amulet is a wondrous item, not a weapon so if you cant to have the holy added you've got to talk your DM into it. Given how useful it is to PCs with multiple nat attacks and how ridiculously expensive it is added holy power might well put it miles and miles out of your price range/budget:smallfrown:
It's not the Amulet Of Mighty Fists, it's the Necklace Of Natural Weapons. It lets your natural weapon(s) be enchanted like a manufactured weapon. The more natural weapons you have, the more expensive it gets. As blinkdogs only have one (a bite), it only costs 600gp + whatever enhancement you want to put on it. So if I wanted my bite to be +1, it would be 600gp for the necklace + 2000gp for the +1 enhancement. Making it holy would be the equivalent of upgrading a +1 weapon to a +3. Not cheap, but ultimately affordable.

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-23, 07:47 AM

There's an excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4) on the Wizard's site, in fact.

Necklace of Natural Weapons is a good idea, I'd agree. You could use the sneak attack fighter variant, if you want BAB and sneak attack.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-23, 07:53 AM
It's not the Amulet Of Mighty Fists, it's the Necklace Of Natural Weapons. It lets your natural weapon(s) be enchanted like a manufactured weapon. The more natural weapons you have, the more expensive it gets. As blinkdogs only have one (a bite), it only costs 600gp + whatever enhancement you want to put on it. So if I wanted my bite to be +1, it would be 600gp for the necklace + 2000gp for the +1 enhancement. Making it holy would be the equivalent of upgrading a +1 weapon to a +3. Not cheap, but ultimately affordable.

Oooooh..... :smallredface: .... thank you, at the moment im using a thayan gladiator/warshaper barbarian werewolf BBEG and now i can add even more ubercombat abilities.... he he he.....

Darrin
2007-07-23, 08:46 AM
As much as I love the headbutting blinkdog idea, I doubt my DM would let me take monk levels for him. I am thinking about 1 level of fighter (for BAB & a feat), followed by one of wilderness rogue (sneak attack and skill points), then another fighter, after that... who knows?

After that, SwordSage. A two-level dip would give you Assassin's Stance (+2d6 Sneak damage), switchable Weapon Focus, +Wis to AC, more skill points, and lots of Setting Sun/Shadow Hand tomfoolery.

Overlard
2007-07-23, 08:54 AM
After that, SwordSage. A two-level dip would give you Assassin's Stance (+2d6 Sneak damage), switchable Weapon Focus, +Wis to AC, more skill points, and lots of Setting Sun/Shadow Hand tomfoolery.
Sadly, TBo9S is his biggest "no"

Dronin
2007-07-23, 10:34 AM
I played a blink dog before
Rouge is excellent because of the blink ability every time you blink unless they can see the ethral plain and the material they are denied DEX. therefore you get a sneak attack every time.