PDA

View Full Version : PF - How to Build a Clockwork Mimic/Doppelganger

unseenmage
2017-02-02, 08:43 AM
Is there a way, via template stacking or spells, to change a Mimic or Doppelganger's type to Construct while retaining their shapechanging abilities and Intelligence? (Or at least their shapechanging?)

At our table we allow the Clockwork or Robot subtypes to be applied to 'any Construct' as though it were a mini template. Which admittedly isn't that much of a stretch as at least one of those subtypes actually has that wording in its text.

Undead Mimic or Doppelganger would work too.

Edit: The Trompe L'oeil and Alter Ego templates fit the bill but both have issues with being uncontrolled.

icefractal
2017-02-02, 04:52 PM
I don't think Trompe L'oeil is uncontrolled, if intentionally created.

Trompe l’oeils can be created to act as guardians and spies, or on occasion, a painting will animate spontaneously. Rarely, a portrait is so lifelike, a nascent spirit is able to inhabit it. Believing itself to be as good as or better than the original, such a trompe l’oeil seeks to eliminate and replace the painting’s subject.
The spontaneously arising ones do whatever they want, but I think if you make one you can control it.

unseenmage
2017-02-02, 05:13 PM
I don't think Trompe L'oeil is uncontrolled, if intentionally created.

The spontaneously arising ones do whatever they want, but I think if you make one you can control it.
That is our interpretation as well.

A Trompe L'oeil of an Alter Ego of a Mimic or Doppelganger looks like my best bet so far.

Would prefer fewer hoops to jump through though.