PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Finding the right monster to stalk my players

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 09:33 AM
Hi all

Running an emergency scenario to revive some fallen characters this week.

The party are going to end up in a spooky castle/house, freeing their comrades and then being pursued (all be it slowly) through the house. Think Amnesia: Dark Decent.

I dont want to just throw a monster at them with no health pool, but at the same time, I want them to realize that fighting it is a BAD IDEA! I want them to hide til it goes away, make progress, then find it again, run, fall into traps, get separated, etc. Fear. Real, palpable fear.

They are level 4, almost level 5. They each have one (some have 2) magic weapons, and most have little magical trinkets like anklets of translocation and chronocharms.

They are a barbarian (with all the stupid single target damage that entails), a druid (who knew druids kinda suck til wildshape... unless you know how to play them very well!), a dragonfire adept with 2 sight invocations, and a dread necro with "fluffy" the summonable owlbear skeli... 6x a day...

My original thought was a vine horror (FF). Been playing some resident evil lately and it just seems right. But its only CR 4, has a tiny health pool, and cant animate vines inside a house. It CAN fit under locked doors though and has a host of DR and immunities. Advancing it makes it large and doesnt add anything. I cant think of a way to slap classes on it either.

Anyone got any ideas?

unseenmage
2017-02-02, 09:38 AM
Slap some Druid levels on the Vine Horror. Lets it cast spells, which immediately ups the threat range and maybe even animate those vines.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 09:41 AM
Thing is, in the house, there isnt much to animate. Theres no plant life. So there goes a decent portion of the spells.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-02, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure which creature to use, but I would apply the pseudonatural template to give it an unnerving alien appearance.

I was thinking a Krenshar, but that is a pretty low CR creature. Perhaps a Pseudonatural Giant Spider which looks straight out of a Geiger movie?

NevinPL
2017-02-02, 09:50 AM
Ghost Phantom Fungus ?

IcarusWulfe
2017-02-02, 09:55 AM
Astral Stalker mayhaps, I remember when a powergaming Ranger in my group once managed to get one sent after him and by extension the rest of the party, it was certainly a terrifying experience.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 11:08 AM
Thats beginning to give me some ideas, though I have a couple of problems.

I want this thing to be slowed down by locked doors, but ultimately able to overcome them if the party dont move on. Thats why I like the Vine Horror's ability to slip through 1" gaps. I guess I could use some sort of ooze to do similar things but...

Astral Stalkers just dont seem... right. They are way too clever for me to justify using one. Its not going to go into a room where everyone is hiding in cupboards and then just leave. It would go through the cupboards.

The Ghost fungus. Arguably that has even more problems. Its incorporeal for one. And invisible foes arnt an issue for this party thanks to our dragonfire adept. So either they see it, think they can take it and all die, or they run, get trapped, and I have to pull some insane levels of DM Fiat to not kill them all. Because hiding in a wardrobe wont do anything against a ghost...

Slapping Psudonatural on something could work. Its weird and freaky. Maybe throw in some regeneration?

I just dont know. Everything I can come up with is either hilariously over the top, or else is something they will either think they can kill and die to, or can actually kill.

Doctor Despair
2017-02-02, 11:15 AM
Never put anything in front of your players that you aren't prepared to have fight them. Either you put it out there and they run (as if they weren't PC adventurers), they fight it and kill it (not what you want), they fight it and TPK (not what you want), or you force a no-save fear effect and stop them from being PCs.

Personally, if you're dedicated to this strategy... Put the enemy out there, give it some stat damaging ability (level drain, ability drain, ability damage, something). Players are scared of that. Then, have it exude a burst emanation with the same penalty on death -- and have it appear again like 10 rounds later. Have it be a complicated summon being cast by some mage deeper in the house, or a spell engine type thing triggered by them entering. Allow a save for any of the loss, of course, and give it like 20 feet movespeed with a poor spot check so they can hide if they want.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 11:17 AM
Screw it, Im doing it.

*cough*

Through the raging fires of hell, Red Fel, I summon you once...

Through the howling winds of the abyss, Red Fel, I summon you twice!

Through the screeching horrors of the places between, Red Fel, I summon you thrice!!

I call you to stand and answer, and with the immortal words of the Australia Tourist Board, I complete my summons:

WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU?!

Flickerdart
2017-02-02, 11:24 AM
My friend, do I have the monster for you (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040828a).

A group of murderjacks usually seeks out a solitary individual and uses the frightful presence ability to drive the victim deep into the forest where it becomes lost. The murderjacks then spend several days tormenting the poor soul, racing in to cut and slash at him until bleeding lacerations cover the victim's body. Eventually, when the victim collapses from fatigue, the murderjacks approach and cure his wounds, only to repeat the torment anew upon his waking.

A solitary murderjack is CR9, making it a doable but overwhelming challenge if the party decides to square off with it, and can resist its frightful presence. Between its amazing skills, special abilities, and bardic spellcasting, a murderjack can do a whole lot outside of combat encounters, and its DR, SR, and powerful attacks make it a difficult foe to face in a fair fight. As a medium creature, it can go anywhere the PCs go.

NevinPL
2017-02-02, 12:19 PM
Asthmatic (can't rage long or good), Nearsighted (+x to attack, and damage against adjacent targets, -x against farther), Alzheimer (after a while he forgets), Orc (not too bright, so won't be looking where you don't want him), Barbarian (can get through those doors after a while).
Also - Obdurium wardrobes.

TL;DR
I don't think it can be done without using "The (bad) DM prerogative".
Especially since it looks like you're trying very hard, to make it very hard.

Doctor Despair
2017-02-02, 12:21 PM
Murderjacks sound perfect both flavor wise and in effect

ShurikVch
2017-02-02, 01:04 PM
Spectral Hunter - mute, ugly Monstrous Humanoid who able to turn incorporeal and/or invisible at-will - and force invisibility on other creatures (in which case victim will be able to see Spectral Hunter); 3 HD (13 hp); AC 13 (2 natural +1 Dex); Spear or 2 claws or bite; Saves 0/6/6; Abilities 23/13/8/18/17/10
Normally it's only CR 3, thus give it some HDs (or class levels)
Source: Call of Cthulhu d20

curious-puzzle
2017-02-02, 01:05 PM
I'd also throw a vote to the Murderjack, especially playing him all Slender-man style.

Another option if you want more of the slow, unstoppable horror would be a Clay Golem. Fluff the appearance however you like, but it can be the slow inexorable advance of doom. If you get in its way, you get beaten and smashed to a pulp (and the cursed wounds adds to the scare factor).

Flickerdart
2017-02-02, 01:14 PM
I'd also throw a vote to the Murderjack, especially playing him all Slender-man style.

Another option if you want more of the slow, unstoppable horror would be a Clay Golem. Fluff the appearance however you like, but it can be the slow inexorable advance of doom. If you get in its way, you get beaten and smashed to a pulp (and the cursed wounds adds to the scare factor).

Half-golem adds the Cursed Wound ability to the recipient of the graft. So you could have a half-golem Murderjack if you really wanted to! Although there would be obvious issues with the murderjack's regular MO of healing the victims, but it's up to the DM whether or not it would want to do so in the first place.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 02:19 PM
Golems! Of course!

Clay looks really good, what with the curse damage as well!

The gravedirt golem and gloom golem look good too (though I may make the HP damage of the Gloom Golem cursed or vile, and pump the HP a little).

Any other good sounding golems?

unseenmage
2017-02-02, 02:26 PM
Golems! Of course!

Clay looks really good, what with the curse damage as well!

The gravedirt golem and gloom golem look good too (though I may make the HP damage of the Gloom Golem cursed or vile, and pump the HP a little).

Any other good sounding golems?

There is a Golem only template in a Dragon mag somewhere that makes the Golem stronger but ties it to the location. Am afb at the moment but I remember it even lets the Golem teleport within the keyed location!

Red Fel
2017-02-02, 02:32 PM
Screw it, Im doing it.

*cough*

Through the raging fires of hell, Red Fel, I summon you once...

Through the howling winds of the abyss, Red Fel, I summon you twice!

Through the screeching horrors of the places between, Red Fel, I summon you thrice!!

I call you to stand and answer, and with the immortal words of the Australia Tourist Board, I complete my summons:

WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU?!

Woo, fancy.

Honestly, I was going to recommend the Murderjack earlier today, until I saw two things. First, the environment - Murderjacks are generally found in shadowy forests, not big buildings. Second, the CR - a Murderjack is pretty powerful for a party like this, and they prefer to hunt in groups, which would be worse. And while the monster you want isn't designed for the party to fight him, they might try, and given his massive SA damage (+7d6, average 24.5) three-hit full attack routine (meaning three times that on top of his normal damage) and ability to move his speed as a free action, he would basically drop anybody in this party more or less immediately, and get away without a scratch.

Also, if he travels in a pack, that's Wis damage.

But yeah, if they were a bit higher level, a Murderjack would be an absolutely perfect monster for this. Maybe nerf it a little and it just shines.

Doctor Despair
2017-02-02, 02:34 PM
It's fine that the Murderjack is stronger. It's flavor text says it likes to knock victims unconscious, heal them, and hunt them again. Seems like it's for sport/play. Maybe in the house they find some buff or debuff to fight back, or a piece of roleplay plot stuff that makes it leave the house alone, or something.

Flickerdart
2017-02-02, 02:40 PM
Woo, fancy.

Honestly, I was going to recommend the Murderjack earlier today, until I saw two things. First, the environment - Murderjacks are generally found in shadowy forests, not big buildings. Second, the CR - a Murderjack is pretty powerful for a party like this, and they prefer to hunt in groups, which would be worse. And while the monster you want isn't designed for the party to fight him, they might try, and given his massive SA damage (+7d6, average 24.5) three-hit full attack routine (meaning three times that on top of his normal damage) and ability to move his speed as a free action, he would basically drop anybody in this party more or less immediately, and get away without a scratch.

Also, if he travels in a pack, that's Wis damage.

But yeah, if they were a bit higher level, a Murderjack would be an absolutely perfect monster for this. Maybe nerf it a little and it just shines.
The DM can easily change the monster's tactics. Yes, focus fire is an issue, but the murderjack can just as easily attack 3 different people, showing that he could kill them all if he wanted to. Yes, by default they live in woodlands, but they don't lose that much by operating elsewhere. In fact, being indoors also explains why it's alone - none of its friends wanted to come!

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 02:46 PM
Maybe a touch of context would help.

Two of their party died last session due to some SUPER BAD ROLLS ON ALL PARTS. And a little bit of accidental misplay on both my and their part. Because it was supposed to be a light hearted one off adventure in a much longer campaign, I am hosting an emergency session to "save" them.

The first part involves the still living party members getting transported to the Morrigan's fortress, in the middle of her death swamp. There they will find the souls of their friends and restore them to life nice and easy like. And then they have to get out. Only the way they came in is shut and now something mean is stalking them.

Party's aim should be escape, not combat. 100% straight "We need to get out or its going to kill us".

Once they are out, the second half is get out of the swamp, random encounters and scary weather, undead, plant creatures, fey, and finally escaping the world.

Rewards are XP, 2 party members brought back for free, and maybe a touchstone or 2.

If they kill the monster, then it becomes a stroll through a deserted mansion, because if its not deserted then the Morrigan is there and they are level 4 and the Morrigan is a god...

Red Fel
2017-02-02, 02:50 PM
Yeah, go with Murderjack. When they get out of the castle and flee the swamp, consider the plural. Done and done.

Flickerdart
2017-02-02, 02:51 PM
It doesn't sound like a golem will work for you, then. My first reaction when encountering a slow-moving, dumb creature would be to kite it until it's dead. At no point should the monster ever get into a stand-up fight with the PCs.

This is why the murderjack is perfect. A quick dash out of the shadows, a single strike, and then it vanishes again. The PCs can't fight back unless they are walking around everywhere with readied actions. The enemy chooses the site of any engagement. No area is safe. If they do not flee at once, it will keep bleeding them, and there's not a lot they can do about it.

DrMotives
2017-02-02, 03:07 PM
Thing is, in the house, there isn't much to animate. There's no plant life. So there goes a decent portion of the spells.

So, how about urban druid instead of regular druid? You get animate rope for all those curtains to bind up the characters, scatterspray makes stuff explode nearby, you can summon swarm, have an animated object companion, and warp wood & hold person all allow for the vine horror to play poltergeist. Crowdwalk & alley fighting both help the thing move and fight in cramped indoor locations, it'll have plenty of buffing spells, and call lightning / storm bolt will give it a ranged electric attack. I'd have it allow the party to think they're fighting an undead with a haunted house. The vine horror can really sell this well with its natural abilities.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 03:11 PM
Can I ask why you both think the golem wont work?

From the sound of it, the golem is far closer to what I am thinking, and is powerful enough that they wont engage, especially if I keep restoring its HP pool every time they escape.

The murderjack dancing in to hurt them and then running away doesnt really inspire fear and drive them through the house like I think you think it will. And I dont really want them too roughed up. They dont really have that level of healing. Or really any healing.

I doubt they will try to kite the golem, simply because they have no ranged weapons (dont ask me why not, theres only so much I can do).

There would be no hiding from the murderjack, no attempt to use traps to stop it (if they find them before they fall prey to them themselves), just endless "Oh, its here again, lets just leg it til the DM gets bored".

Im not saying the murderjack isnt a good idea, but I feel like I must be missing something, because I feel like now you have suggested the Golem, its perfect, while the murderjack just seems out of place and kinda the opposite: A quick, hit and run, lacking in true purpose monster rather than a slow, ponderous guard dog that can be outwitted, but not truly evaded.

Barstro
2017-02-02, 03:28 PM
First, the environment - Murderjacks are generally found in shadowy forests, not big buildings.
Maybe the building has a substantial library.

And while the monster you want isn't designed for the party to fight him, they might try,
That was my first concern. I know my party never met a monster (or god) they thought wasn't meant to be killed.

Is there some horrible taboo preventing the DM from changing things around? Maybe there is a slowly receding curse that greatly boosts the Murderjack's AC and HP, but lowers its Attack/damage. To appease Albions_Angel, maybe it has a broken leg too :)

Red Fel
2017-02-02, 03:37 PM
Maybe the building has a substantial library.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly2f82GtnT1qf9x1a.gif

Back on point, the thing about a golem is, any horror comes from inevitability. You know the thing is coming, you just can't stop it. If that's all you want - a big, stupid guard dog they have to keep running from - a golem is adequate.

With a Murderjack, the horror comes from the fact that it is legitimately terrifying. It is a creature that feeds on their fear, that radiates fear, that comes and goes freely, undetected. Unlike the golem, where they're just running until they can't hear it, the Murderjack can be anywhere, at any time - meaning that at no point should they feel like they're safe. If your goal is genuine horror, a Murderjack is a better choice, given that its ability set guarantees a total lack of safe feeling.

Albions_Angel
2017-02-02, 03:37 PM
The horrible taboo is I dont like homebrewing things.... though actually I am getting quite a talent for it! You just add stuff to an existing chassis and then check it against something else to come up with a CR.

Gotcha Red.

Thanks. Ill have a think. I guess I need to decide if I want Alien horror or Resident Evil/Amnesia horror. Do I need to banish you before you can go grab a beer or are you free to go?

Red Fel
2017-02-02, 03:43 PM
Thanks. Ill have a think. I guess I need to decide if I want Alien horror or Resident Evil/Amnesia horror. Do I need to banish you before you can go grab a beer or are you free to go?

No worries.

http://i.imgur.com/hvZTqH3.gif

I come prepared for long threads.

Flickerdart
2017-02-02, 05:24 PM
A murderjack can actually tank hits just as well as a clay golem.

Golem: 90 HP, AC 22, DR 10, infinite SR
Murderjack: 112 HP and can self-heal, AC 21, DR 10, 21 SR

If the PCs attack it, maybe it lets them. It's much scarier to know that you can't harm that which pursues you. Give it Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder, or any long-term debuff feats or spells. Use its skill ranks on Sleight of Hand to steal spell components, backup weapons, and so on. The PCs will quickly realize that the longer they fight this thing, the weaker they get.

And if they're still too dumb to flee, the literal fear aura will force them to retreat anyway.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-03, 08:54 AM
If the PCs attack it, maybe it lets them. It's much scarier to know that you can't harm that which pursues you.

So go the Jason Voorhees route?

Flickerdart
2017-02-03, 09:27 AM
So go the Jason Voorhees route?

I'm not actually familiar with that. But you could do something like this:

PCs open a door, but instead of a doorway, they reveal a shadowy figure - a horrifying, emaciated creature that towers over them, with wicked razor claws and a jagged smile.
Rogue: I stab him in the face! *rolls 15*
DM: The stranger effortlessly dodges your attack.
Fighter: I stab him in the face! *rolls 23* Yes, a high roll! 11 damage.
DM: Your sword collides with the fey creature's skin, but fails to do much more than draw blood - an amber, sap-like substance that oozes from the cut.
Wizard: I cast a spell!
DM: Roll a CL check.
Wizard: I got a 20.
DM: Your spell does bupkis. Now it's the enemy's turn.
The murderjack makes two disarm checks as it seizes the rogue and fighter's blades in its claws, and unceremoniously yanks them from their grasp. Attacking triggers its fear aura.

Players: Oh no, our precious magic items!
DM: Everyone, give me Will saves.
The entire party fails and flees in panic, and now they are down two weapons and a spell slot.

Not only does it have a built-in "run away, don't fight" feature, it can use feats for utility, and also heal between fights without fiat thanks to its bardic spells.

Lormador
2017-02-03, 09:28 AM
I've run Castle Ravenloft enough times to have 2 coppers for this.

There are a lot of things you can do to make the pursuing monster scarier without actually using the pursuing monster directly. Putting off the encounters with it makes sense due to the risk of the players actually being able to deal with it. Once your big bad guy makes a tactical retreat, he loses a lot of his fear. If the encounter actually goes badly for the PCs and it is they who need to retreat, that's a great result for the initial encounter, but the situation is a knife edge between drama and TPK. I'd try to avoid it.

Almost the scariest thing in Castle Ravenloft is the supernatural light suppression. Take all light down 50% and watch 'em squirm.

Have many things that look like monsters but aren't. For instance, statues.

Put creatures or NPCs in the environment that are frightened out of their wits: or that were just killed by the beast.

Keep in mind that anything fear-based is 90% anticipation. Shocking the players with stuff that jumps out of everywhere quickly gets them used to being under seige, and the effect is lost.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-03, 09:40 AM
I'm not actually familiar with that.
Jason Voorhees is the killer from Friday the 13th, the famous hockey mask wearer (though he didn't wear a hockey mask until the 3rd movie but whatever.)

He was big, tough, and generally lumbered slowly towards his prey instead of running. He would take punches, stabs, even being on fire without so much as reacting, much less it slowing him down. Even though he was never seen running, he would always keep reappearing nearby and couldn't be stopped, and even though you could run, you could never actually get away from him. He would keep coming and never stop.

Kol Korran
2017-02-03, 11:07 AM
Hi there! I didn't know about the Murderjack, I'll have to remember it! :smallamused:

However, if you're not yet settled, may I suggest a few more alternatives?

1) A ghost:
Ghosts are excellent for this. The party will find it extremley hard to beat it, and you cna build it in a way to enhance the adventure. Some ideas:
- The ghost can be of a former NPC, either someone they liked (That was altered by death), or someone they didn't like, and who HATES them! (Or... someone they liked yet failed, who know blames them and hate them?) This way ,you can make it personal, which can always add to the adventure! :smallwink:
- The ghost may have quite the arsenal of powers to use against the party just look at possible powers! Corrupting gaze, touch, frightful moan, telekinesis (Throw the library, the stand of knives, and more at them!). The PF ghost page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/ghost) has a few more useful ideas, which can enable it to animate items (Vehemence), corpses (Re invigoration), use spells and fear powers, and more! I'd leave the malevolence ability aside (Not fun most times, and an overkill here).
- Ghosts are often "story creatures", which means you have to solve their mystery in order to beat them (At least fully), which can be great here! The party may learn more about the ghost, it's death, and why it got this cursed existence, and use that to stall it, delay it, confuse it and more, but only for awhile...
- If the party do beat if, it comes back, soon enough...

In one of the adventures I ran with my group, they entered a castle, seeking a McGuffin, and the place was haunted by a ghost of the one who betrayed the castle. It threw parts of the castle at them, animated statues, manifested and attacked on occasion, and lots more! And it talked, challenged, provoked and conversed with the party, the entire time there! It made for a great antagonist and challenge! The party remembers it to this day!

2) Gibbering Mouther:
No, not strictly the MM description, or even the LoM one... I personally think they have a great potential, if tweaked well enough... Think about it! Wouldn't you find a mass of gibbering, maddening, oozing flesh of eyes and mouths horrifying! The mechanics are... somewhat lackluster, and it's CR of 5 a bit too low, but you can easily change that! As part of my "Compendium for the forgotten and maligne monsters (The full project is in my sig), I've made a fairly intriguing and horrific rendition of this fleshy ooze of horror!
Gibbering mouther part 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13411526&postcount=68)
Gibbering mouther part 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13411717&postcount=69)

I still think the Murderjack is awesome, but these may serve as well (Though they might be more complex to run). Good luck to you! :smallwink:

Deophaun
2017-02-03, 11:26 AM
A kobold. It saw them trounce a group of whatever that was threatening its warren and now it thinks they're just so cool. It wants to join them, but it's a kobold and fears it might be murderized. So, it follows them, collecting and keeping their trash as mementos. Once, it got brave and cut a lock of their wizard's hair while they slept. It made a necklace out of it.

Occasionally it leaves bad poetry nailed to dungeon entrances for them.

Barstro
2017-02-03, 02:27 PM
Jason Voorhees is the killer from Friday the 13th,

Actually, he isn't' the killer from Friday the 13th. He's the killer in all the sequels.