PDA

View Full Version : Quickly switching items?

Zanos
2017-02-02, 09:43 AM
So I'd like to use a Ring of Anticipation, which lets you roll twice on initiative and take the better result, but once initiative is rolled I'm sort of done with the rings effects. Is there any way to switch out for another ring once initiative is rolled without blowing actions? I can't make custom magic items in this game, so no slotless or combined effects.

IcarusWulfe
2017-02-02, 09:56 AM
I don't know, but a Ring of Arming might do the trick, though it might only work with armor and weapons.

Zanos
2017-02-02, 10:03 AM
I don't know, but a Ring of Arming might do the trick, though it might only work with armor and weapons.
Just weapons and armor, unfortunately. Since I'm trying to swap out a ring slot trying to store the ring of arming in itself would get a little awkward anyway.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-02, 10:08 AM
Buy a ringsword (A&EG 115) or craft a weapon with similar properties. Such an ability should be worth +4,000 gp.

Zanos
2017-02-02, 10:09 AM
Buy a ringsword (A&EG 115) or craft a weapon with similar properties. Such an ability should be worth +4,000 gp.
As I mentioned in the OP I can't make custom magic items, but the ringsword does help, thank you.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-02, 10:20 AM
As I mentioned in the OP I can't make custom magic items, but the ringsword does help, thank you.
Sorry, I missed that part. There should also be a necklace that can hold a ring somewhere, but I can't remember in which book it is.

IcarusWulfe
2017-02-02, 10:23 AM
Isn't there a magic item in the DMG that lets you wear an extra ring, that wouldn't solve the problem directly but could at least allow you to benefit from another ring.

Zanos
2017-02-02, 10:26 AM
Ah yeah, the hand of glory lets you use another ring as well. Forgot about it.

Darrin
2017-02-02, 11:10 AM
Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk) might work here... works the same as a Glove of Storing, but isn't so expensive. I'm not quite sure if wearing a ring is the same as holding it, though.

Hiro Quester
2017-02-02, 11:18 AM
That hand occupies your neck slot, though, which is also a very valuable slot for other items.

Normally I'd see taking off or putting on a ring as a move action. With the quickdraw feat (and some time spent practicing), your DM might rule that taking off a ring is basically the same kind of action as drawing a weapon, and let you swap rings as a move-equivalent action.

Maybe you and your DM could home-brew a skill trick (with quickdraw as a prerequisite) to be able to switch rings as a move action?

This would be even better if your ring of anticipation was on a short string tied to a bracelet, so you can remove it from your finger and just drop it and the string will keep it secure.