PDA

View Full Version : Variant variant human

Innocent_bystan
2017-02-02, 12:41 PM
Good evening

I was brainstorming with my DM about a way to make humans special, without giving a feat. We also tried to find a way to illustrate that humans are racially inferior, but are quick to adapt to new situations.

Darkness will be a major theme in the campaign, so the loss of darkvision will hurt a lot.

Here is what we came up with: humans can use point buy (27) instead of the Standard Array, they do not get any racial stat modifiers or abilities, but they always get a free "virtual level." To clarify: they start the game at level 2, and are always 1 level ahead on the XP curve.

What do you think? Too powerful? Not powerful enough?

Mikey P
2017-02-02, 12:55 PM
You're proposing giving up quite a few apples for a really really big orange.

I mean this orange starts out big... But it's relative bigness enbiggins every level...

I mean... whoa, big orange!

Specter
2017-02-02, 01:11 PM
You can make the standard human decent by giving them two skills and one tool of their choice, while keeping the +1 to all stats. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-02, 01:19 PM
they do not get any racial stat modifiers or abilities, but they always get a free "virtual level." To clarify: they start the game at level 2, and are always 1 level ahead on the XP curve.
Bat**** insane, instantly wildly overpowered, do not use under any circumstances. No racial ability or collection of racial abilities currently in the game is worth an extra class level.

If you want to emphasize "quick adaptation," how about allowing faster downtime training of new tools/skills? Or maybe a free tool/skill proficiency they can change out during a long rest?

solidork
2017-02-02, 01:19 PM
What if being Human removed the prerequisites for multiclassing? Do most people even enforce those restrictions?

I also agree that a free level is not a good idea.

Arkhios
2017-02-02, 01:30 PM
You're proposing giving up quite a few apples for a really really big orange.

I mean this orange starts out big... But it's relative bigness enbiggins every level...

I mean... whoa, big orange!

I'm intrigued. Why orange? Does it also have a blond toupe?

Monavic
2017-02-02, 01:31 PM
I feel like the normal variant human fits what you are asking for already. You could let then retrain a feat or skill every level if you want them more adaptable.