PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes?

Birdwood
2017-02-02, 01:06 PM
Well, thing is
Im a Human Fighter who became a werewolf when our table was playing 3.5; by then, I had talked to the DM and I was using the Werewolf class on my build to avoid LA.

Now, though, we are converting to 5e, and due to huge differences, ported characters will be made anew; which leads me to the question.

WereWOLF characters get their Str changed to 15 if its lower. But, when that happens, and I, say, take Tavern Brawler and put that +1 to my Str, do I actually get a 16 out of that? Or is the 15 all Werewolves gain just an 'overlay' of sorts?

Not questioning balancing issues here; campaign is High Fantasy and a couple of players will have dragon friends/summons

Osrogue
2017-02-02, 03:41 PM
If you become a lycanthrope before you pick up tavern brawler, you get a +1 to strength. If you become a werewolf after you pick up tavern brawler, your strength will be whatever score is higher between 15 and whatever you currently have.

RipTide
2017-02-02, 03:54 PM
If your strength is 10 then you become a werewolf your strength becomes 15. If after that you get tavern brawler and put a point into strength your strength becomes 16.

If your strength is 10 then you get tavern brawler and put a point into strength your strength is 11. If you then become a werewolf your strength becomes 15.

5e is pretty straight forward if it says your strength is 15 then your strength is 15 and any new changes to your strength go to that 15.

Birdwood
2017-02-02, 04:17 PM
Yeah thought as much
I ask because in other forums, people raised this question (with no resolution), so the doubt grew in me too

Thanks a lot :)

Deleted
2017-02-02, 04:22 PM
Yeah thought as much
I ask because in other forums, people raised this question (with no resolution), so the doubt grew in me too

Thanks a lot :)

The real answer is... Ask your DM. For better or worse, a lot of 5e is very "well, here is rule but... Ask your DM". Even taking feats in first place is optional and up to the DM.

It wouldn't be unfair of the DM to allow tavern brawler to "carry over".

I treat feats like I would spells, they apply last. So if you got enlarged and then became a werewolf, you would be an enlarged werewolf.

In the end, the difference between 15 and 16 is so minute that either way won't matter as much (which is the point, the d20 is the main weight of the situation).