PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Monster Hunter Fighter Subclass

Grayson01
2017-02-02, 04:22 PM
Has anyone tried the Monster Hunter Subclass? Looking into the class for a char. for the Curse of Strahd, I am looking for that Hunter of the Supernatural feel. Going with Aasimar from Volo's and the Revenant Subrace and the Hunted one Background from the Curse of Strahd. Soul Purpose being to hunt down Strahd for some injustice done.

Deleted
2017-02-02, 04:44 PM
Has anyone tried the Monster Hunter Subclass? Looking into the class for a char. for the Curse of Strahd, I am looking for that Hunter of the Supernatural feel. Going with Aasimar from Volo's and the Revenant Subrace and the Hunted one Background from the Curse of Strahd. Soul Purpose being to hunt down Strahd for some injustice done.

The problem with the Fighter's monster hunter subclass is that it is attached to the fighter.

If you are ok with that...

Red: Bad
Black: Okay
Blue: Good
Gold: Fantastic!

Monster Hunter

3rd Level
Bonus Proficiency: Finding enemies and not being surprised (perception/investigation) is priceless.

Combat Superiority: Some basic stuff here BUT being able to use your dice for Saving Throws, mental ones at that, is gold. For the most part it is like having proficiency with the save (average +4.5, 5.5, 6.5) some of the times. This would be gold if it wasn't 4 per short rest... Short rest mechanics aren't bad, but they are very very very variable... Like... You never know if you will have 1 short rest opportunity or 5 in a given adventuring day. Adding to attack, damage, and Perception/Insight is also awesome but your limited use will make you look at the Rogue with envy.

Hunter's Mysticism: Detect Magic ritual and Protection from Good and Evil 1/Long Rest? Pretty stinking awesome. Extra language is extra language. This would be gold, and can be, but chances are the wizard will be doing the detect magic (especially if you don't have 10 minutes) and casters have protection spells... If you are in a group sans casters then this might actually be gold.

7th Level

Monster Slayer: Damage boost is nice, but pure HP damage is something any fighter can do. Or any character. It just seems like they could have done so much more with this subclass than giving you a damage boost here. Being very DM dependent also hurts, to really get some mileage out of this, you need to rely on the DM to be a nice person and throw specific creatures at you.

10th Level

Improved Combat Superiority: Meh. With a subclass so chalk full of fluff, just giving a boost to the superiority dice seem like a waste. Useful but nothing to write home about.

15th Level
Relentless: Meh. This could have been the level 7 feature. To bad other classes, which get this same type of feature, get this way too late and so now they are stuck with this being some sort of high level feature... Totally Meh.

18th level
Improved Combat Superiority: See level 10.

Final Notes: This subclass is awesome at 3rd level. I love it. It might be the best Fighter subclass out there... But it goes down hill from there. Multiclass out before maybe before 7 but definitely before 10, unless you are going for something from the main fighter class. The level 7 feature is useful, but there are better features out there that help you so much more. I would take almost any damage boosting multiclass (Barb 2 for instance) instead of this...

In your case, the level 7 feature will be Blue since your setting is going to work in your favor but it is still a damage boost and that's boring.

I don't like things that just give damage boost, especially on a class that doesn't need damage boosts.

Grayson01
2017-02-02, 05:04 PM
The problem with the Fighter's monster hunter subclass is that it is attached to the fighter.

If you are ok with that...

Red: Bad
Black: Okay
Blue: Good
Gold: Fantastic!

Monster Hunter

3rd Level
Bonus Proficiency: Finding enemies and not being surprised (perception/investigation) is priceless.

Combat Superiority: Some basic stuff here BUT being able to use your dice for Saving Throws, mental ones at that, is gold. For the most part it is like having proficiency with the save (average +4.5, 5.5, 6.5) some of the times. This would be gold if it wasn't 4 per short rest... Short rest mechanics aren't bad, but they are very very very variable... Like... You never know if you will have 1 short rest opportunity or 5 in a given adventuring day. Adding to attack, damage, and Perception/Insight is also awesome but your limited use will make you look at the Rogue with envy.

Hunter's Mysticism: Detect Magic ritual and Protection from Good and Evil 1/Long Rest? Pretty stinking awesome. Extra language is extra language. This would be gold, and can be, but chances are the wizard will be doing the detect magic (especially if you don't have 10 minutes) and casters have protection spells... If you are in a group sans casters then this might actually be gold.

7th Level

Monster Slayer: Damage boost is nice, but pure HP damage is something any fighter can do. Or any character. It just seems like they could have done so much more with this subclass than giving you a damage boost here. Being very DM dependent also hurts, to really get some mileage out of this, you need to rely on the DM to be a nice person and throw specific creatures at you.

10th Level

Improved Combat Superiority: Meh. With a subclass so chalk full of fluff, just giving a boost to the superiority dice seem like a waste. Useful but nothing to write home about.

15th Level
Relentless: Meh. This could have been the level 7 feature. To bad other classes, which get this same type of feature, get this way too late and so now they are stuck with this being some sort of high level feature... Totally Meh.

18th level
Improved Combat Superiority: See level 10.

Final Notes: This subclass is awesome at 3rd level. I love it. It might be the best Fighter subclass out there... But it goes down hill from there. Multiclass out before maybe before 7 but definitely before 10, unless you are going for something from the main fighter class. The level 7 feature is useful, but there are better features out there that help you so much more. I would take almost any damage boosting multiclass (Barb 2 for instance) instead of this...

In your case, the level 7 feature will be Blue since your setting is going to work in your favor but it is still a damage boost and that's boring.

I don't like things that just give damage boost, especially on a class that doesn't need damage boosts.

Thank you Very Much this was actually Very Helpful.

Deleted
2017-02-02, 05:09 PM
Thank you Very Much this was actually Very Helpful.

You're welcome.

I'm biased against damage only options and classes. If you like just move and attack situations... You will get more mileage out of level 7 than I would.

Yagyujubei
2017-02-02, 05:37 PM
if your DM is allowing non book stuff at all you might take a look at the blood hunter class that Matt Mercer brewed up...its pretty cool and fits well with the CoS setting for sure...a bit on the strong side though imho so a DM might not like it.

Fishyninja
2017-02-02, 05:42 PM
if your DM is allowing non book stuff at all you might take a look at the blood hunter class that Matt Mercer brewed up...its pretty cool and fits well with the CoS setting for sure...a bit on the strong side though imho so a DM might not like it.

Coming across it recently it definately has monster hunter written all over it. I was tempted to MC it with my ranger, but not sure whether it woud be worth it.

Puh Laden
2017-02-02, 05:46 PM
I honestly prefer Vengeance Paladin for a monster hunter. I love the flavor of the Abjure Enemy ability for a monster hunter in particular. The only "problem" is that it comes with potentially preparing more spells than one would maybe want to for the flavor.

Nicrosil
2017-02-02, 06:06 PM
I'm playing one in Storm Kings Thunder! I'm only level 6, so I can't really comment on the higher level stuff. Like others mentioned, it's a bit... Bland? Since all the power in the class comes from the class itself. Hunters Mysticism has helped a couple of times, and the superiority dice are very helpful, especially if your rolling low or need to nova. The utility with the extra skill and getting to add dice to some skill checks is nice, but you're a damage dealer first and foremost. If you're open to multiclassing, I like the idea of taking some levels in revised ranger; it's what I'll be doing in my campaign.

Specter
2017-02-02, 06:16 PM

It's good. I played one. The charm is to use your 'precision dice' to pump up Great Weapon Master and do humongous damage. The extra damage die usually isn't worth it unless you crit, in which case definitely use it. When Monster Slayer comes up, every crit is a commotion on the table.

djreynolds
2017-02-03, 06:36 AM

Excellent choice for CoS, 4,6,8...ASI. Means max strength and a feat using standard array. Con save proficiency means you will have a better concentration check holding up Protection from evil (needed in CoS) than the wizard or cleric or paladin.

You can also add SD to mental saves and perception/lying checks

Game is only going to around 10th level. You can even add in a dip of rogue or war cleric (divine favor) or ranger for favored enemy undead

Alerad
2017-02-03, 10:48 AM
One of my players in CoS plays it, but says it's a little bland. Could be that he's not used to playing the class, and fighters in general. I suggest saving up the superiority dice for saves and precision attacks, the extra damage is usually not worth it. Bonus on perception and insight checks is nice, but it didn't come up.

He picked up War cleric last level, so he's Fighter 7/Cleric 1 now. It plays really nice, Divine favor is good against vampires. Not sure if he's going for more Cleric levels after that.

Deleted
2017-02-03, 02:40 PM
I honestly prefer Vengeance Paladin for a monster hunter. I love the flavor of the Abjure Enemy ability for a monster hunter in particular. The only "problem" is that it comes with potentially preparing more spells than one would maybe want to for the flavor.

Honestly, this really is the better choice. Fluff and mechanics just outpace what the Fighter (monster hunter) gains.

They should have just made this subclass a "witcher" by also giving it access to burning hands and command lol

Actually...

I might do something with this later..

Grayson01
2017-02-18, 12:10 AM
Has anyone looked at the Warlock: Hexblade Patron? I was thinking this could make a good monster hunter and fit the theme of the character well.

Specter
2017-02-18, 02:17 AM
Has anyone looked at the Warlock: Hexblade Patron? I was thinking this could make a good monster hunter and fit the theme of the character well.

Before you request more advice, you should at least respond generically to all those that put time and effort into your concerns. That's the basics of forum culture.

djreynolds
2017-02-18, 03:15 AM
SPOILER AHEAD

Strahd will make you pay for crappy wisdom and con saves, he will cripple your party

protection from evil is huge if you can have it as is the paladin's aura of protection, and devotion and courage... I advise a paladin to stay pure... by 10th level I really wanted to kill Strahd.. badly and I was a life cleric... our DM was ruthless...

That said, the tough thing is the game only goes to 10th, fighter is going to give you 3ASI/feats at 8th level.

Now for fighter, 8th level is fine and then bug out because your are not getting to 11th level.

I like shield master, it covers your dex saves if you are not proficient in them... good feat

Casters should look to buff up party members. Magic users need to select magic weapon for other party members

If you have an archer, be a team mate and give him divine favor or magic weapon, or tell that ranger to grab some war cleric.

In fact war cleric is a good dip for every class early on to obtain divine favor and protection from evil

There are some magic weapons around, so plan to spread them out