PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Max Health and Druid Wild Shape Question

daltonispanda
2017-02-02, 04:28 PM
So I know from Sage that max HP reductions do not carry over from wild shape to true form and vice versa, but what what about when I go back into wild shape?

My DM is interpreting it as the wild shape hp pool is still lowered even though it goes away in the true form.

I interpret it as each "cast" of wild shape has it's own separate pool, so when I expend my second wild shape my current and max health become whatever the beast's is.

So if I was a bear with lowered max hp, could I spend my second wild shape charge to become a "new" bear without the lowered max hp?

RickAllison
2017-02-03, 11:46 AM
It's up to the DM. I could see it go three ways:

1) It is your Wild Shape pool. Tough toenails, all your Wild Shapes have rescued hp. This is what I recommend given the previous ruling of your DM.

2) It is the pool of that particular shape, but you only have one of each. So until your bear gets fixed, your bear form is drained.

3) It is of that particular form, but you could take another one that is similar. I don't recommend this one.

4) The DM backtracks and decides that it makes much more sense for the drain to stick on the main form. Now you always carry around the reduction to max hp, because it is much more fun for the group than letting the Druid just ignore one of the primary difficulties of that type of enemy. And fun > Sage Advice.