PDA

View Full Version : Weapon help

JellyPooga
2007-07-21, 09:42 AM
What weapon is this (http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/2700s/2720_G) guy wielding?

I've been making characters of models I own and I'm a bit stuck as to what weapon I should call his staff-y thing. I have my own opinions on what it could be, but I'd like your opinions unclouded by my own.

Swooper
2007-07-21, 09:50 AM
...Interesting. I'd pass it off as a weird Guisarme or a Ranseur, mechanically. Or possibly homebrew a polearm that has 1d10 slashing damage, no reach, but +2 to Disarm and can make Trip attempts. Polearms tend to have two or three of: Reach, +2 to Disarm, Trip, 1d10 damage (instead of 1d8 like Longspear).

Fhaolan
2007-07-21, 10:02 AM
It looks like an over-exagurated, yet short, fauchard to me. A scythe-like blade. Basically, a shepard's crook out of sharpened steel.

bigbaddragon
2007-07-21, 10:18 AM
In addition to Swooper's reply I would say it can deal piercing or slashing damage. Look carefully to both left and right upper parts of the blade. Left part looks like it could deal piercing damage and the right part looks like it could deal slashing damage, depending on how you use it.

JellyPooga
2007-07-21, 10:20 AM
It looks like an over-exagurated, yet short, fauchard to me. A scythe-like blade. Basically, a shepard's crook out of sharpened steel.

Hmm, perhaps I should have been more specific...I was after a D&D equivalent of what this weapon was...so in that vein, what'd you say?

skywalker
2007-07-21, 10:29 AM
A scythe with reach?

Other than that, a glaive-guisarme. Combining both into an exotic weapon.

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-21, 10:31 AM
Blinkin' blazes! It's a hunda stick! Y'know, from the orcs of the Shadow Marches, from Eberron? The wielder portayed there certainly has the girth of at least a half-orc if not an out and out full-blood while his cloak and other accoutrements seem druidic or at least similar to that worn by rangers and marsh nomads.

Well, at least that's my opinion on the subject...

JellyPooga
2007-07-21, 10:34 AM
Blinkin' blazes! It's a hunda stick! Y'know, from the orcs of the Shadow Marches, from Eberron? The wielder portayed there certainly has the girth of at least a half-orc if not an out and out full-blood while his cloak and other accoutrements seem druidic or at least similar to that worn by rangers and marsh nomads.

Well, at least that's my opinion on the subject...

Dude, he's wearing full plate mail...that's gotta add a few pounds...in fact, in comparison to most of the models in the range, he's a little short and slightly smaller (barring the plate and cloak).

brian c
2007-07-21, 10:41 AM
...Interesting. I'd pass it off as a weird Guisarme or a Ranseur, mechanically. Or possibly homebrew a polearm that has 1d10 slashing damage, no reach, but +2 to Disarm and can make Trip attempts. Polearms tend to have two or three of: Reach, +2 to Disarm, Trip, 1d10 damage (instead of 1d8 like Longspear).

That's four things.

Anyway, mechanically the best D&D weapon for that is probably a Guisarme because it looks like you could trip with it. Other than that, I'd recommend the homebrew trip/disarm polearm. You could give it reach with d6 damage, or no reach and d10 and it should be equally balanced.

Swooper
2007-07-21, 10:51 AM
That's four things. Uhm, I know that. You must have misread, I said that each polearm has a selection of 2-3 from the list. I didn't say anything about how many items were on the list :smallwink:

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 10:55 AM
As a DM I'd probably rule it as a halberd: 1d10 damage (S or P), +2 to trip, no reach.

I know it looks nothing like a real halberd, but this is D&D remember? You know, the game where flailing about with a length of spikey chain (http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/28610.jpg) is a better weapon choice than wielding a sword. :smalltongue:

JellyPooga
2007-07-21, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys! My first impression was to model it as a Scythe...but then I thought that the little prongy bits slightly down the shaft would make it better for Disarming than Tripping and it can clearly do either Piercing or Slashing damage and there wasn't really a weapon that fit the mould perfectly. I'll probably end up calling it either a Ranseur or a Scythe. I might consider brewing up a P/S, 2-H Disarm weapon, but I probably won't bother.

bosssmiley: I thought of ruling it as a halberd, but I couldn't fathom how one would set it vs. a charge...

Fhaolan
2007-07-21, 12:27 PM
Hmm, perhaps I should have been more specific...I was after a D&D equivalent of what this weapon was...so in that vein, what'd you say?

Huh? Is fauchard not on the... *checks SRD* Oh, sorry. I thought fauchard was on the polearm list. Nevermind.

I'd say scythe.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-21, 03:37 PM
Looks to me like a staff with's a fancy, metal head.

TheThan
2007-07-21, 03:48 PM

I agree, its probably magical.

Amiria
2007-07-21, 03:58 PM
Yeah, the head might be just some (religious) symbol. See Crosier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosier).

JackMage666
2007-07-21, 04:02 PM
Fancy staff. I'd stat it just like a Heavy Mace with some extra weight, I think, due to the extra weight.

Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a way to slash or pierce with it.

Neek
2007-07-21, 04:24 PM

I have to second this statement. It is a fauchard: A fauchard is a polearm with a dramatically curved blade, only the concave side of the blade was actually sharp, making it like a scythe. Imagine a hockey stick, but the curved part is a blade that's sharp on the side that faces up. That's what a classical fauchard look like. The picture linked has the shaft arch at a 45 degree angle with the blade running parallel to the ground.

It's not a traditional fauchard, but it's a fauchard nonetheless.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 08:05 PM
bosssmiley: I thought of ruling it as a halberd, but I couldn't fathom how one would set it vs. a charge...

Blunt end in the ground, business end into the other guy is customary I believe. :smallwink:

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-21, 08:08 PM

Yeah. Certainly doesn't look practical.

Fawsto
2007-07-22, 12:50 AM
A nasty mix of Glaive and Scythe? Pehaps a exotic weapon that deals 1d10 dmg with 20/ x4 crit?

Scary, though.