PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for advice on a Warlock/Monk character

jate
2017-02-02, 08:29 PM
Hey there! My group is starting a new campaign and, wanting to try something new, I decided to base my character on the theme of "Magic Fists of Fury." My plan is to warlock/monk multiclass, but having never played a warlock before, I'm not sure the best way to go about it. So I'm looking for any tips/suggestions/criticisms from you guys! The only thing I'm not looking for is "Don't play a warlock/monk."

Allowed material: Player's Handbook, Sword Coast, Elemental Evils, Volo's Guide, and Unearthed Arcana. No variant humans allowed.
Side note: I've only read a little of the Unearthed Arcana, so any suggestions of things to look at from that direction are doubly appreciated.

The campaign: No idea. He's neither revealing the setting nor the storyline to us until after we start. I'm also not sure how long it will run, as a group the highest we've been to I think is level 7. I'm prioritizing more what the character will look like at 5 than 20.

I rolled 10, 15, 13, 12, 13, 14 to distribute among my stats. I'd prioritize Cha>Dex>Wis>Con>Str>Int. I'll be starting as a warlock, as there's a monk in my party who can train me.

Race: My frontrunner for race is Tabaxi, largely because the ASI would give me 16 Dex and Cha. I'm trying to stay away from half elf because it's one of my main races to play (thus going against trying something new). But the DM has said this campaign is going to be on "hard-mode," so I do want to make the character as effective as possible within the boundaries of the theme, and if half elf would be that much of a difference to other options, I'll consider it. I'm also thinking about Tiefling and Kenku - which seems like it could be interesting to roleplay. The Yuan-Ti seems cool, but I don't want to risk making things too hard for my party with a monstrous adventurer.

Patron: Definitely Great Old One if I go Kenku, for Awakened Mind. Otherwise, it's between GOO and Archfey - the abilities look pretty nice.

Pact: Pact of the Tome is most appealing to me

Invocations: Once at level three, I'm thinking Agonizing Blast and Book of Ancient Secrets. Not sure what I'd switch out BoAS for from level two, maybe Misty Visions.

Background: My present top choice is Entertainer. Not for mechanic reasons, I'm kinda feeling playing a character that moonlights as a jazz musician. That's part of why I'm liking Tabaxi, I like the idea of a cat calling people cats. Edit: I may save that for another character and all out bard with it.

Spells: Haven't really started here, both because I usually get the character concept down first, and because this is my first warlock. Though, obviously eldritch blast. I'm interested in the Sword Coast cantrips for some close range magic.

Monastic Tradition: Way of the Open Hand seems the way to go. My warlock levels cover spellcasting, and I'm not doing a stealth build.

Thanks for reading!

Specter
2017-02-02, 08:38 PM
Don't underestimate Way of Shadow. Those abilities paired with Devil's Sight can wreak havoc, Darkness especially.

Personally I'd go Variant Human or Half-Elf for the feat and major stats, but that's just me.

jate
2017-02-02, 08:43 PM
Don't underestimate Way of Shadow. Those abilities paired with Devil's Sight can wreak havoc, Darkness especially.

Personally I'd go Variant Human or Half-Elf for the feat and major stats, but that's just me.

Thanks for the reply!

I've seen a lot of people praising the darkness/devil's sight combo, but that seems like it would be a detriment to the rest of the party if they're not also equipped for it.

No variant humans are allowed, but half elf is definitely appealing.

Specter
2017-02-02, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I've seen a lot of people praising the darkness/devil's sight combo, but that seems like it would be a detriment to the rest of the party if they're not also equipped for it.

No worries.

Yeah. It all boils down to the other guys. So Open Palm it is.

Hex is your friend; if possible cast it before combat, it will turn you into a machine gun.

And don't worry too much about Eldritch Blast. Just keep it in your pocket for emergency ranged combat.

Arelai
2017-02-03, 12:49 AM
I would dump CHA and just take magic that doesn't need a good stat to work. Otherwise, without wisdom your AC will be terrible.

For warlock, take the 2 melee attack cantrips and then just augmentation or boosting spells. Hex being the most important. Although it will take your bonus action to use and move it.

Maxilian
2017-02-03, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the reply!

The Darkness / Devil's Sight combo, is not that bad, even for your teanmates, just have in mind when you use it, if your party is in a position that they have disadvantage, using this will give you Adv and will eleminate the disadvantage for your party (they will be attacking a target they can't see, so they get Disadvantage but the target can't see them either, so they also get adv... so they roll normally and attacks to them also roll normally -a good way to deal with monsters that have some way to get adv-)

Note: I also agree with the poster above, dump CHA, that also let you work out with other races that use mainly DEX and WIS

Arelai
2017-02-03, 07:12 PM
The alternative to dumping charisma would be so either sacrifice one of your 2 invocations for the free mage armor-which would be a terrible waste of an invocation.

OR, use dex/cha, but start with a level of draconic sorcerer for the free permanent mage armor. It also gives you 4 cantrips and a couple spells(probably shield and jump for your concept). This way with a max Dex you at least end up with an 18 AC. 23 when you use shield.