PDA

View Full Version : Missing Spells for 5th Edition from 3.5

Thrasher92
2017-02-02, 09:16 PM
As I've been playing 5th edition I've noticed that a lot of my favorite spells are missing and I don't know why they were removed. The only reason I can think of is that they weren't added because to add all the spells from 3.5 they would have to convert over a 1000 spells.

Has anyone started to try to convert their favorite spells to 5th edition?

My favorite spells that are missing include:
Cone of Fire
Command
Grease
Explosive Runes

and several others.

MrStabby
2017-02-02, 09:21 PM
As I've been playing 5th edition I've noticed that a lot of my favorite spells are missing and I don't know why they were removed. The only reason I can think of is that they weren't added because to add all the spells from 3.5 they would have to convert over a 1000 spells.

Has anyone started to try to convert their favorite spells to 5th edition?

My favorite spells that are missing include:
Cone of Fire
Command
Grease
Explosive Runes

and several others.

Command PHB p223
Grease PHB p246
Explosive runes, see glyph of warding PHB p 245

Thrasher92
2017-02-02, 09:32 PM
Whoops I was using my app and still had it set on Sorcerer. What about Cone of Fire? That seems like an obvious one for them to add.

Rysto
2017-02-02, 09:37 PM
Isn't that just Burning Hands?

Slayn82
2017-02-02, 09:39 PM
Shrink Objects. I miss that spell.

Flashy
2017-02-02, 10:06 PM
Uh, am I the only one who has never heard of Cone of Fire? Is it just Cone of Cold with a different damage type or...?

Erose
2017-02-02, 10:20 PM
Steeldance, Many Jaws, Earth Maul (2nd ed.), Combust, Launch Item (For slinging Tanglefoot bags)

Thrasher92
2017-02-02, 10:27 PM
Oh, Another one I miss is Acid Fog. I remember having lots of fun with that one.

Sigreid
2017-02-02, 10:34 PM
Glasssteel and Iron Wood.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-02-02, 10:45 PM
battering ram, touch of fatigue, whirling blade.

also: I wish they added metamagic explosive spell and spell shaping

Lawful Good
2017-02-02, 10:57 PM
Share Pain
Masochism
:smalltongue:

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/omniscificer-rational-solution-to-pun.html?m=1

And Manipulate Form, of course.

mephnick
2017-02-02, 11:28 PM
I miss glitterdust :(

solidork
2017-02-02, 11:30 PM
I am sad that I can only take one person with Dimension Door.

King539
2017-02-03, 12:02 AM
Launch Item (For slinging Tanglefoot bags)

Catapult from EE.

DracoKnight
2017-02-03, 12:06 AM
Steeldance

Glasssteel

whirling blade

Can someone elaborate on these? They sound really freaking awesome!

wilhelmdubdub
2017-02-03, 12:11 AM

whirling blade: bard, sorcerer, wizard 2nd

As you cast this spell, you hurl a single slashing weapon at your foes, magically striking at all enemies along a line (60ft.) to the extent of the spell's range. You make a normal melee attack, just as if you attacked with the weapon in melee, against each foe in the weapon's path, but you can choose to substitute your Intelligence or Charisma modifier (as appropriate for your spellcasting class) for your Strength modifier on the weapon's attack rolls and damage rolls.

Thrasher92
2017-02-03, 12:12 AM

Glasssteel - This spell gives a glass or crystal object the strength and durability of steel (hardness 10 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness). The Glassteel also becomes roughly the same weight as an item made of regular steel, within a few ounces. The spell can transmute up to 5lb of glass or crystal per caster level.

Steeldance - You cause two daggers in your possession to grow to the size and shape of longswords, which then attack creatures you specify. The blades have AC 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), hardness 10, and 5 hit points. They fly at speed 30 feet (good maneuverability), deal 1d8 points of slashing damage, and score a threat of a critical on a natural 19 or 20. They are otherwise treated as Medium-size animated objects (as if animated by an animate objects spell). You can cast spells such as magic weapon on the daggers before or after the steeldance spell takes effect.

Whirling Blade - You hurl a weapon held at the time of casting, and it magically attacks all enemies along a line to the extent of the spell's range. You make a normal melee attack, just as if you were attacking with the weapon in melee, against each foe in the weapon's path, but you can choose to substitute your Intelligence modifier or your Charisma modifier (as appropriate for your spellcasting class) for your Strength modifier on the weapon's attack rolls and damage rolls. Even if your base attack bonus would normally give you multiple attacks, a whirling blade gets only one attack (at your best attack bonus) against each target. The weapon deals damage just as if you had swung it in melee, including any bonuses you might have from ability scores or feats.

DracoKnight
2017-02-03, 12:31 AM
Those all sound awesome! I know want to port them to 5e :smallbiggrin:

Âmesang
2017-02-03, 12:46 AM
Uh, am I the only one who has never heard of Cone of Fire? Is it just Cone of Cold with a different damage type or...?
There was a "cone of fire" in a 2nd Edition issue of DRAGON Magazine, but it was called Keraptis' flamecone; one of a number of spells I've attempted to port over.

I still need to work on my homebrew spell, Quintessa's dweomer drain, draining magic items to grant "virtual material components" instead of "virtual experience points" (for the purpose of casting spells only). Since XP to GP conversion isn't as an exact science as it was in 3rd Edition or Pathfinder, however (1 XP = 5 GP), and with the focus being less on cost and more on rarity, I'm thinking I'd have to add some sort of table to the spell; in essence, if you successfully drained a magic item with the spell you'd gain "X" amount of "virtual material components" if the item was common, "Y" amount if it was uncommon, "Z" amount if it was rare, &c (thus making it easier to cast spells that have an expensive material cost… but still costly since you'd be giving up a magic item to do so).

With that said, an attempt at some spell ports:
KERAPTIS' FLAMECONE
5th-level evocation
Casting Time 1 action
Range Self (60-foot cone)
Components V, S, M (a pinch of pure sulphur and a spark or flame)
Duration Instantaneous
DESCRIPTIONThis spell duplicates the 5th-level spell cone of cold, save that it inflicts fire damage and a creature killed by this spell becomes an ashen statue until it crumbles.

— DRAGON Magazine #241 November 1997, p.79

RUNEFINGER
Illusion cantrip
Casting Time 1 action
Range 0 feet
Components V, S, M (a pinch of powdered glowworm, a live firefly, or a bit of phosphorescent fungus)
Duration 8 hours
DESCRIPTIONThis spell causes one of the caster's fingers to appear to flicker with a blue-white flame (no actual heat or flame is produced). At will, the caster can cause patterns traced in the air or on a surface by the finger to glow, remaining in place for the spell duration either (chosen during casting) moving with breezes or the movement of an object its traced upon, or remaining stationary despite changing conditions around it.
https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifThese glowing patterns can't be active magical runes, sigils, symbols, or glyphs, but they can have the appearance of genuine magic, either as instructions to another spellcaster (to cast or use a particular spell, perhaps, or to draw a symbol exactly like this one), or as a ruse to fool intruders. This spell is often used to draw directing arrows or spell out clear (or misleading) inscriptions. Its magic enables the caster to cause the lines made by certain finger movements to glow and other traceries not to, so clear and concise symbols can be created, not an endless squiggly line that "builds up" into one symbol after another.

— DRAGON Magazine #246 April 1998, p.90

SLEROTIN'S FORTITUDE
9th-level abjuration/transmutation
Casting Time 1 action
Range Touch
Components V, M (a diamond of at least 1,000 gp value, one ounce of powdered steel or other strong and hard metal, and a drop of water, which the spell consumes; these components are necessary for every 5 cubic feet to be fortified, but the quantity of components should be modified if lesser amounts of material are to be affected)
Duration Until dispelled
DESCRIPTIONBy means of this spell, the caster can alter the molecular structure of nonmagical, inorganic matter so as to make it impervious to harm from both physical and magical attacks.
https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifThe caster is able to affect a Large or smaller object (contained within a 10-foot cube, or eight connected 5-foot cubes), though the matter in question must be of the same general type. For example, a stone wall could be rendered invulnerable to damage, but not an iron door set into the wall. A second casting would be necessary to include the door. Note that if several doors exist in the same wall, several fortitude spells would be needed. Furthermore, the frame, hinges, locks, etc., are protected only if they are of the same material as the door.
https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifSlerotin's fortitude can be removed only by a full wish. However, more than one fortitude can be cast on a single area so as to make it more difficult to bring down. Thus, a wall that is under the effects of three fortitude spells requires three separate wish spells to return it to a normal wall. No other spell or force can harm such a protected area. Materials subject to this spell are impervious even to spells like disintegrate or earthquake.
https://www.schadenfreudestudios.com/backup/pictures/indent.gifAn area affected by Slerotin's fortitude spell will radiate magic if detected.

— DRAGON Magazine #241 November 1997, p.81

THUNDAERL'S UNIVERSAL TASTER
2nd-level divination/illusion
Casting Time 1 action
Range 30 feet
Components V, S, M (a berry from any poisonous plant and a piece of snakeskin, which the spell consumes)
Duration Concentration, up to 1 minute
DESCRIPTIONThis spell allows the caster (only) to look at foods and see any substance harmful to the caster outlined in luminous purple flames (in the quantities present). The magic penetrates darkness, sauces, and such solid objects such as container lids and layers of meat. If a harmful substance is present, the caster can will the food to emit illusory, hissing black serpents visible to all. This can alert the provider of the food to the caster's awareness of the threat—or give the caster an excuse for destroying the tainted material along with the dangerous snakes!

— Wizard's Spell Compendium: Volume IV, p.936

Foxhound438
2017-02-03, 12:49 AM
Combust

not sure the exact effect you're looking for, but immolation from the EEPC could be similar

Foxhound438
2017-02-03, 12:51 AM
Whirling Blade - You hurl a weapon held at the time of casting, and it magically attacks all enemies along a line to the extent of the spell's range. You make a normal melee attack, just as if you were attacking with the weapon in melee, against each foe in the weapon's path, but you can choose to substitute your Intelligence modifier or your Charisma modifier (as appropriate for your spellcasting class) for your Strength modifier on the weapon's attack rolls and damage rolls. Even if your base attack bonus would normally give you multiple attacks, a whirling blade gets only one attack (at your best attack bonus) against each target. The weapon deals damage just as if you had swung it in melee, including any bonuses you might have from ability scores or feats.

mmm, power attack

Ogre Mage
2017-02-03, 01:34 AM

Ditto. :smallfrown:

Regitnui
2017-02-03, 02:23 AM
Depilate, Come to Me, Create Undying, Repair Damage, Summon Dragonmark...

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-03, 03:26 AM
Ruby Ray of Reversal
Polar Ray
Ray of Stupidity
Prismatic Bow

It might be worth pulling out the 3.5 Spell Compendium to see what can be converted (mostly balancing for level, damage, action cost, and concentration).

Often (Most of the time?) spells were just: fireball...that does another damage type!!

Regitnui
2017-02-03, 03:47 AM
Ruby Ray of Reversal
It might be worth pulling out the 3.5 Spell Compendium to see what can be converted (mostly balancing for level, damage, action cost, and concentration).

Often (Most of the time?) spells were just: fireball...that does another damage type!!

I was looking at the Book That is Not Safe for Family the other day and found a spell that causes the stunned and prone conditions. Were it not for the unfortunate fluff, it could adapt rather well.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-02-03, 03:49 AM
Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation. In addition to being a cool and flavorful set of spells (fun with quasi-reality!), the spell had a useful niche in trading depth for versatility: at the time of casting, the spell could be anything of a certain subschool, but for it to affect your enemies, they had to make a Will save against the illusion. If they failed, they experienced the spell as if it was real; if they succeeded, they realized the spell was a shadow of the real thing, but being still "quasi-real", it still deals a percentage of whatever effect the real thing would have done. This was obviously weaker than just preparing the real thing, but you can't prepare 20 different "real things" with just one spell slot, and you can't prepare *any* of them from pure shadow stuff.

Inox
2017-02-03, 11:10 AM
This may seem like a quibble, but Endure Elements.

It bugs me how hard it is to be able to deal with weather conditions in 5e. Unless you play a race that's got a resistance or adaptation, the ways to deal with temperature extremes are few (e.g. Fiend Warlock 10, Transmutation Wizard 6).

A Druid basically has no protection from climate. W0t?

MrStabby
2017-02-03, 11:19 AM

It bugs me how hard it is to be able to deal with weather conditions in 5e. Unless you play a race that's got a resistance or adaptation, the ways to deal with temperature extremes are few (e.g. Fiend Warlock 10, Transmutation Wizard 6).

Well some of this can be addressed by wearing clothes.

bokodasu
2017-02-03, 11:20 AM

Man, Glitterdust won so many encounters - between that and Grease, you really didn't need much else. The Disco Barbarian will never be forgotten!

JellyPooga
2017-02-03, 11:33 AM

Psh! How is my Barbarian supposed to display his masculinity to all the world if he has to go around wearing the raiment of puny civilisation? If only there were a 1st level spell with a duration of 24 hours, that I could pick up with Magic Initiate to enable this vision of unbridled manliness...

Hawkstar
2017-02-03, 11:35 AM
I am glad 5e doesn't have these spells.

Morphic tide
2017-02-03, 11:56 AM
whirling blade: bard, sorcerer, wizard 2nd

As you cast this spell, you hurl a single slashing weapon at your foes, magically striking at all enemies along a line (60ft.) to the extent of the spell's range. You make a normal melee attack, just as if you attacked with the weapon in melee, against each foe in the weapon's path, but you can choose to substitute your Intelligence or Charisma modifier (as appropriate for your spellcasting class) for your Strength modifier on the weapon's attack rolls and damage rolls.

...do on-hit effects from spells, item enhancements and class features stack with it? Because... it's disgustingly powerful when mixed with on-hit effects. Like, formation-busting kind of hell, by tearing open a hole.

As for Steeldance, it has similar questions. Do the daggers keep enhancements and applied spells? Because if they do, the spell is much more powerful. Probably not worth risking the destruction of the weapons.

Regitnui
2017-02-03, 12:00 PM

+1 for that.

A druid can be immune to weather in the same way an animal is: they've been out in rain and whatever so much that it doesn't bother them.

Hawkstar
2017-02-03, 12:15 PM

But where's the fun in that?

khadgar567
2017-02-03, 12:15 PM
mind rape and geas these lovely to spells are must for any high ranking / leveled person

thompur
2017-02-03, 01:24 PM
Defenestrating Sphere.

When you cast this spell, you create
a violently swirling sphere of air.
As a move action, you can make the
sphere travel up to 30 feet per round
and strike a creature or object you
indicate as a ranged touch attack. Any
creature struck by the sphere takes 3d6
points of damage from the force of its
winds. In addition, Medium or smaller
creatures must succeed on a Fortitude
save or be knocked prone. Creatures
that fall prone must then succeed on
a second Fortitude save or be swept up
by the sphere and driven 1d8×10 feet
into the air, dropping 1d6 squares from
their original position in a random
direction and taking falling damage
as normal. If a window is within range,
the subject is automatically thrown in
that direction.

If some obstacle prevents the subject
creature from reaching its expelled
height, it takes 1d6 points of damage
for every 10 feet of movement it was
unable to complete, so that a creature
hurled 50 feet up in a room with a 20-
foot ceiling would take 3d6 points of
damage from the impact, then take 2d6
points of damage when it falls back to
the ground.:smallcool:

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-02-03, 01:32 PM
Arcane Mark. I know it's purely a fluffy way to feel like Gandalf at the beginning of the Hobbit, but still. It's such a flavorful ability!

Âmesang
2017-02-03, 09:20 PM
Actually in typing out my runefinger port I had a glance over at 5th's prestidigitation and it looked like arcane mark was folded into it. Granted it only lasts for 1 hour, can not be invisible, and is no more difficult to dispel than anything else.

I recall its 2nd Edition predecessor, wizard mark, as being an alteration/transmutation spell.

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-03, 10:11 PM

They get Resistance as a cantrip which improves their chances of passing the saving throws required. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than not having it.

Defenestrating Sphere.

When you cast this spell, you create
a violently swirling sphere of air.
As a move action, you can make the
sphere travel up to 30 feet per round
and strike a creature or object you
indicate as a ranged touch attack. Any
creature struck by the sphere takes 3d6
points of damage from the force of its
winds. In addition, Medium or smaller
creatures must succeed on a Fortitude
save or be knocked prone. Creatures
that fall prone must then succeed on
a second Fortitude save or be swept up
by the sphere and driven 1d8×10 feet
into the air, dropping 1d6 squares from
their original position in a random
direction and taking falling damage
as normal. If a window is within range,
the subject is automatically thrown in
that direction.

If some obstacle prevents the subject
creature from reaching its expelled
height, it takes 1d6 points of damage
for every 10 feet of movement it was
unable to complete, so that a creature
hurled 50 feet up in a room with a 20-
foot ceiling would take 3d6 points of
damage from the impact, then take 2d6
points of damage when it falls back to
the ground.

Ok, so probable changes to address for conversion:

1) Move actions don't exist, so this probably would become a bonus action.
2) ranged touch attack no bueno, ranged spell attack now, except given the save this would probably just be a constitution save for 1/2 and no effect.
3) damage type? Probably Bludgeoning, but I'd have to compare to how other wind-based spells are operated, I 'think' it's bludgeoning.
4) damage amount needs to be checked against single target by level, and brought into line with other spells that have a rider. Maybe even remove the damage entirely and leave it at falling damage.

There is also the "problem" that this spell is one part flaming sphere, one part gust of wind one part single target reverse gravity. Probably resolvable, but it would definitely be higher level than the first two spells, possibly the latter. Shooting from the hip, I'd peg this around 7th level+ as written (it cc's a target, damages and moves them...all quite powerful effects in and of their own right).

wilhelmdubdub
2017-02-03, 10:24 PM
...do on-hit effects from spells, item enhancements and class features stack with it? Because... it's disgustingly powerful when mixed with on-hit effects. Like, formation-busting kind of hell, by tearing open a hole.

I think that was intended, I remember as a sorcerer in 3.5 we used to use spell shaping to make it a cone, or radius centered on you. I does say "as if you made the attack in melee", so I am sure martial abilities would apply. Without metamagic you are limited by how many enemies were in a straight line though.

JellyPooga
2017-02-03, 10:51 PM
Shooting from the hip, I'd peg this around 7th level+ as written (it cc's a target, damages and moves them...all quite powerful effects in and of their own right).

I think you're possibly aiming a little high there, cowboy :smallwink:

IIRC the original spell was 5th level and I think that seems about right to me. I mean, as you say, it's "one part flaming sphere, one part gust of wind one part single target reverse gravity", the last of which is 7th level itself, so I don't think it should be that high.

2) ranged touch attack no bueno, ranged spell attack now, except given the save this would probably just be a constitution save for 1/2 and no effect.
3) damage type? Probably Bludgeoning, but I'd have to compare to how other wind-based spells are operated, I 'think' it's bludgeoning.
4) damage amount needs to be checked against single target by level, and brought into line with other spells that have a rider. Maybe even remove the damage entirely and leave it at falling damage.

1) Bonus Action to move. Agreed.
2) I'd say a Str save is probably more appropriate than Con. Half damage and no rider on successful save sounds right.
3) Bludgeoning damage. Agreed.
4) Let's look at the riders first; Prone condition, target moved for additional damage. Both of these only affect Medium or smaller targets. Potential for scaling affecting larger targets and increasing distance hurled. These riders are situationally amazing, but in and of themselves aren't really that crippling. Let's rip this a new one;
- Falling damage from the "hurling" can easily be subsumed into the base damage of the spell for ease's sake.
- I think we can probably scratch the size limitation.
- Prone is prone. Let's keep it that way
- Move target. Do we really want a random factor here? How about we call it 20ft +10ft per level above (whatever base level it is)? Do we really want a random direction? Just choose (unless there's a window in range).
- Damage: Here's the tricky one. The DMG says a 5th level spell should deal 8d10 damage vs. single target (or any dice combo with roughly 45 average damage). Given that we probably want to tack a 1 minute duration on this too, making it a technical multi-target spell, as well as taking into consideration the riders, we can lose a lot of that. Spit-balling, I'd aim at...6d8 (average: 27) maybe? Add +1d8 per level above 5th? It's a little on the weak side, but I think any homebrew should err on the weak side and it roughly fits the original spells average of 7 or 8d6.

Just my thoughts.

King539
2017-02-03, 11:29 PM
mind rape and geas these lovely to spells are must for any high ranking / leveled person

:smallconfused: Geas exists in 5e.

Hawkstar
2017-02-04, 12:09 AM

Geas is in the game, and Mind Rape is not from 3.5.

Erose
2017-02-04, 12:32 AM
Catapult from EE.

True, however Launch Item was a cantrip. No tanglefoot bags in this edition either. I saw the Artificer's version, they nerfed it hard.

Erose
2017-02-04, 12:36 AM
Earthmaw causes a patch of ground 10 feet in diameter to open and form a gigantic mouth with stalactite teeth. The mouth springs forth on a short serpentine neck, much like a water weird, and attacks once in a direction the caster dictates. Then it retracts into the earth and closes solidly. The site of an earthmaw spell appears as if the ground has been tilled recently.

The mouth can attack one large creature, two man-sized creatures, or four small-sized creatures within 10 feet of its outer edge. It can strike multiple creatures only if they remain clustered within a 10-foot diameter circle adjacent to the maw.

The earthmaw attacks as a monster with Hit Dice equal to the caster's level. Creatures standing on the site of the maw suffer a +3 penalty to Armor Class for purposes of this attack only. Creatures standing next to the maw suffer no AC penalty.

A successful hit inflicts 1d4 points of damage per level of the caster. An unmodified roll of 19 or 20 means the maw has swallowed the victim whole, burying the character 2d4 feet below ground. Victims can be dug out manually, with appropriate spells (such as dig), or with magical items (such as a spade of colossal excavation). A creature trapped underground will suffocate unless freed within a number of rounds equal to one-third its Constitution score.

Earthmaw may be cast on any area of loose or packed earth, sand, or vegetation-covered soil. It may be cast indoors on an earthen surface: for example, on the dirt floor of a barn or basement, but not on the marble floor of a home or temple. It may not be cast on an area containing a tree, any portion of a building, or any type of pavement.

An object present on the site of the maw (such as a campfire or a tent, etc.) counts as a creature of that object's size in attacks.

The material component is a tooth from any predatory creature.

toapat
2017-02-04, 01:22 AM

Geas is a 5th lvl spell in 5th, and Modify Memory is a sedated version of Mindrape

Regitnui
2017-02-04, 02:04 AM
Geas is a 5th lvl spell in 5th, and Modify Memory is a sedated version of Mindrape

Also, mindrape isn't exactly a family-friendly name, honestly.

ThisIsZen
2017-02-04, 03:16 AM
Also, a single action and a failed save resulting in your entire mental landscape being opened up for someone like a lego kit to reassemble as they see fit is a horror show I'm quite glad isn't being brought back.

Programmed amnesia was bad enough, mindrape was even easier to use and both spells are just genuinely unsettling to contemplate. I don't miss them, nor do I miss every high-level problem being solved with casual mental violation, personally.

Christian
2017-02-04, 09:26 AM
I was looking at the Book That is Not Safe for Family the other day ...

I used to have that book, but after it ate two of my children, I decided I should sell it to Half Price.

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-04, 03:06 PM
I miss all the "mass production spells" like Wall of Iron, because when you aren't murderhoboring in the dungeon you are screwing with the DM's World...

Sans.
2017-02-04, 04:29 PM
Disjunction, to cap the dispel magic line.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-05, 02:43 PM
Ok, so probable changes to address for conversion:

There is also the "problem" that this spell is one part flaming sphere, one part gust of wind one part single target reverse gravity. Probably resolvable, but it would definitely be higher level than the first two spells, possibly the latter. Shooting from the hip, I'd peg this around 7th level+ as written (it cc's a target, damages and moves them...all quite powerful effects in and of their own right).

Behold, the Lesser Defenestrating Sphere: http://thebombzen.github.io/grimoire/spells/dust-devil

Regitnui
2017-02-05, 03:22 PM
Defenestrating Sphere sounds like the sort of spell a female witch cooks up after her husband never does the cleaning up, even when specifically asked.

Xetheral
2017-02-05, 03:45 PM
Nailed to the Sky
Time Duplicate
Moonbow
Armor of Darkness
Righteous Fury
Momento Mori
Heartclutch
Dance of Ruin
Stop Heart
Wrack
Rapture of Rupture
Aspect of the Earth Hunter
Lay of the Land
Rhino's Rush
Combust
Arc of Lightning
Towering Oak
Essence of the Raptor
Entangling Staff
Extract Water Elemental

Inox
2017-02-06, 12:04 AM

Except not really by the rules--check the rules for extreme heat in the DMG. Clothing only makes it worse. The only folks who get a break are listed: "Creatures with resistance or immunity to fire damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures naturally adapted to hot climates".

And as it's written, even a desert land druid isn't adapted to hot climates. I suppose a DM could rule that some particular wild animal into which a druid shifted could automagically make saves, but that's not required RAW.

Bring back Endure Elements.

TripleD
2017-02-06, 12:40 AM
I miss Mighty Wallop and Greater Mighty Wallop.

There's just something hilari-awesome about a Kobold's mace, size unchanged, hitting with the force of a Storm Giant's greatclub. That and, if you enchanted a gauntlet, it was one of the few non-item ways of boosting monk damage.

Nifft
2017-02-06, 12:48 AM

My Barbarian 20 has a significantly high AC when naked, but he's got enough of an ego to dislike the idea of visible shrinkage.

Endure Elements is far preferable to Endure Giggling.

Regitnui
2017-02-06, 01:53 AM
Looking at some of these makes me wonder what the developers were thinking at the time. They have such specific purposes...

ThisIsZen
2017-02-06, 03:29 AM
Looking at some of these makes me wonder what the developers were thinking at the time. They have such specific purposes...

Well, when you're producing splats at the rate 3.5 was, you'll eventually start running low on magical effect ideas.

Kane0
2017-02-06, 04:40 AM
Nailed to the Sky
Dance of Ruin
Wrack
Combust
Arc of Lightning
Extract Water Elemental

Oh my yes. Also Great Thunderclap, a couple of rays/attack roll spells (seeking ray, battering ram, polar ray, etc) and all-in-one buffs like Tensers Transformation.

Regitnui
2017-02-06, 08:51 AM
Well, when you're producing splats at the rate 3.5 was, you'll eventually start running low on magical effect ideas.

If there's a specific spell to turn enemies into rubber ferrets and start bouncing them around the room, I'm surrendering to the insanity.

NecroDancer
2017-02-06, 09:14 AM
Time Hop
Animate Dead (the 3.5 version)
Ride the Lighting (from pathfinder)

ThisIsZen
2017-02-06, 06:29 PM
If there's a specific spell to turn enemies into rubber ferrets and start bouncing them around the room, I'm surrendering to the insanity.

Well, if there isn't one, you could build one with the Epic Magic rules. :smallbiggrin:

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-06, 06:30 PM
Shooting from the hip, I'd peg this around 7th level+ as written (it cc's a target, damages and moves them...all quite powerful effects in and of their own right).
I think you're possibly aiming a little high there, cowboy

IIRC the original spell was 5th level and I think that seems about right to me. I mean, as you say, it's "one part flaming sphere, one part gust of wind one part single target reverse gravity", the last of which is 7th level itself, so I don't think it should be that high.

1) Bonus Action to move. Agreed.
2) I'd say a Str save is probably more appropriate than Con. Half damage and no rider on successful save sounds right.
3) Bludgeoning damage. Agreed.
4) Let's look at the riders first; Prone condition, target moved for additional damage. Both of these only affect Medium or smaller targets. Potential for scaling affecting larger targets and increasing distance hurled. These riders are situationally amazing, but in and of themselves aren't really that crippling. Let's rip this a new one;
- Falling damage from the "hurling" can easily be subsumed into the base damage of the spell for ease's sake.
- I think we can probably scratch the size limitation.
- Prone is prone. Let's keep it that way
- Move target. Do we really want a random factor here? How about we call it 20ft +10ft per level above (whatever base level it is)? Do we really want a random direction? Just choose (unless there's a window in range).
- Damage: Here's the tricky one. The DMG says a 5th level spell should deal 8d10 damage vs. single target (or any dice combo with roughly 45 average damage). Given that we probably want to tack a 1 minute duration on this too, making it a technical multi-target spell, as well as taking into consideration the riders, we can lose a lot of that. Spit-balling, I'd aim at...6d8 (average: 27) maybe? Add +1d8 per level above 5th? It's a little on the weak side, but I think any homebrew should err on the weak side and it roughly fits the original spells average of 7 or 8d6.

Just my thoughts.

Well, I suppose the question is: Do we want to try and match the original spell level, or just the original spell effects and then figure out the level based on that?

Flaming Sphere is the 'most similar' spell, and that is only 2d6 damage starting at 2nd level, doesn't cause conditions on the target.

Upping it a damage die would also up it one level, so 3rd level 3d6. But because it's save for none, we don't have to do that based on the DMG rule of save for none giving +25% damage. So just for the damage we're looking at 2nd level for 3d6 save none.

Add +2 levels for being able to gust of wind a target? I guess 5th works. The bigger problem, now that I notice it, is that this is all basically covered by Bigby's Hand. (Forceful hand pushes, grasping and clenched harm).

Hrm, it also does much less damage, probably because of the flexibility of the spell. I'm inclined to knock it all the way down to 3d6 at 5th level with the functionality of being able to throw a target in a chosen direction/specifically out of a window if one is in range. +1d6/level.

Part of the reason being, it appears to me that they really down scale down damage quite a bit for spells that do anything non-damage related.

Weird, it looks like Bigby's is the only 'single target' damage spell at 5th level? That does make it difficult to compare, as typically lower level spells scale badly. I'm beginning to reconsider the whole "let's convert spells".

Maybe just the totally unique ones where they could fill a niche role in a society (like for traveling underwater with ships or something).

Petrocorus
2017-02-06, 10:50 PM
I don't miss a spell in particular, but i miss the instantaneous duration on Wall of Stone and Wall of Iron. I also find ridiculous the duration nerf on Phantom Steed. Especially given that the speed and capabilities of the Steed have been nerfed too, so it's mostly a travel spell now.

I second the point about Endure Elements.

Zorku
2017-02-07, 02:26 PM
What's the local opinion on The (Not Really) Complete Tome of Spells (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qx4NeOkTzTZzhIQW1BdF9NM2c/view)?