PDA

View Full Version : How to give a construct a temporary constitution score?

RoboEmperor
2017-02-02, 11:20 PM
I just need a constitution score briefly, out of combat. In combat is fine. Certain feats I want to use out of combat have a constitution requirement.

Thurbane
2017-02-03, 12:00 AM
The only thing can think of is Incarnate Construct, but that's definitely not brief.

There's also Spark of Life, but A) it only works on undead and B) doesn't actually give a Con score, just a semblance of life and reduction of immunities.

What feats in particular? We might be able to find another option.

Crake
2017-02-03, 12:04 AM
polymorph? I double checked and the target for that is willing living creature touched, so that wouldn't work. Metamorphosis should work though, as should alter self. Alter self does say you keep your ability scores, but doesn't really say what happens if turn into a living creature. Presumably your con would default to 10? Polymorph any object would also work.

Zombimode
2017-02-03, 03:48 AM
as should alter self. Alter self does say you keep your ability scores, but doesn't really say what happens if turn into a living creature.

Hm, the only way this would be possible if a (non-living) construct casts alter self to take the form of a warforged (or other living construct)... but I don't see why the "you Keep your own ability scores" line should be ignored by this. You keep your Con - just fine.

unseenmage
2017-02-03, 03:56 AM
Greater Humanoid Essence from Races of Eberron (I think?) turns a target Construct into a Humanoid for the duration. This should/could include granting it a temporary Con score as without such a Humanoid dies rather abruptly.

Zombimode
2017-02-03, 06:31 AM
Greater Humanoid Essence from Races of Eberron (I think?) turns a target Construct into a Humanoid for the duration. This should/could include granting it a temporary Con score as without such a Humanoid dies rather abruptly.

In such instances the former non-ability Defaults to 10.

RoboEmperor
2017-02-03, 08:59 AM
What feats in particular? We might be able to find another option.

Earth Spell. I'm planning a shadowcraft mage who turns himself into a construct. He will also be using Shadow Illusion True Creation to create Shadow Materials to create Shadow Golems and make a living off of that, but unfortunately Earth Spell requires a 13 CON score, so either I have to wait all the way to level 18 (I'm using Wyrm Wizard to get True Creation on my list) and enact my plan briefly end game, or I somehow get a CON score and use Earth Spell to enact my plan at level 16, which is still only briefly end game but it's at least I get to enjoy my character a few weeks longer.

polymorph? I double checked and the target for that is willing living creature touched, so that wouldn't work. Metamorphosis should work though, as should alter self. Alter self does say you keep your ability scores, but doesn't really say what happens if turn into a living creature. Presumably your con would default to 10? Polymorph any object would also work.

Alter Self doesn't work unless there is a construct that has a constitution score. Polymorph Any Object on the other hand, seems to work! And it's a level 8 spell too, just like True Creation. Ok I think this solves my problem :D

PaO myself into some creature with an average CON score of 13 and I should be fine.

Darrin
2017-02-03, 10:16 AM
Outside of the humanoid essence spells, there are a few other spells that temporarily change your type:

Aberration type: aberrate (Book of Vile Darkness)
Animal type: aspect of the wolf (Spell Compendium)
Dragon type: essence of the dragon (Races of the Dragon)
Magical Beast type: aspect of the earth hunter or displacer form (Spell Compendium)
Monstrous Humanoid: wild runner (Spell Compendium)
Outsider type: fiendform, holy/infernal transformation, or visage of the deity (Spell Compendium)

unseenmage
2017-02-03, 12:44 PM
In such instances the former non-ability Defaults to 10.

Last time I asserted as much I couldnt find the rules to quote, failing of my brain's architecture I suspect. I quote things poorly when I can at all.

Any chance you could find it for me so I can log it properly in.my notes?

Zombimode
2017-02-03, 09:07 PM
Last time I asserted as much I couldnt find the rules to quote, failing of my brain's architecture I suspect. I quote things poorly when I can at all.

Any chance you could find it for me so I can log it properly in.my notes?

I was working from memory as well.

The best thing I could find is from "Nonabilities" under "special abilities":

Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0—they lack the ability altogether. The modifier for a nonability is +0. Other effects of nonabilities are detailed below.

So, its not really a score of 10, but a modifier of +0.