PDA

View Full Version : Confessions 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

2D8HP
2017-02-03, 08:57 AM
In this thread you can post biggest, darkest secrets. Well it doesn't have to be that dark. It could be the most funniest secrets you ever post in this thread....

old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476222-Confessions&goto=newpost)

Avianmosquito
2017-02-03, 08:59 AM
I confess I kinda knew somebody was actually going to use that title.

2D8HP
2017-02-03, 09:05 AM
Confession: I can't stand the suspense!

I still can't!

Avianmosquito
2017-02-03, 09:16 AM
I confess that sometimes I forget my ex-wife's birthday... And my daughter's. And mine, for that matter.

rooster707
2017-02-03, 10:43 AM
On the 50 page thing, I think it used to be an actual limit that threads had to stop at for technical reasons, but now it's just a rule that you have to stop around 50.

2D8HP
2017-02-03, 10:43 AM
I confess I kinda knew somebody was actually going to use that title.

Confession: I had thought to label it, "Confessions 2: What's the worse that can happen?

Sure why not? What's the worse that can happen?
That is not funny at all
So just fyi, your attitude is deeply offensive
Dude....get off your high horse.
Confession: I decided to finally check out the confessions thread and dropped into the middle of this, immediately hit some stuff that stood on a nerve in stiletto heels, and promptly forgot it was the confessions thread.

But it was time to go to work so I just copied and pasted from your post,

Goodbye thread. (Speeding the end here, aren't I?) Let's see what we get in Confessions 2: Electric Boogaloo.

(Which is why the title has a period at the end).

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-03, 11:09 AM
Yay! New Confession thread, the legacy continues! :smile:

When I was a little boy, On Halloween I scare little kids with my scary costume and I stole their candy. :biggrin:

Strigon
2017-02-03, 11:13 PM
Well, I guess this is the right place.
I'm in a wheelchair. This often gets strange looks/questions from children.

Once, when I was 16, a young boy - probably five or so - asked why I was in a chair. I looked him dead in the eye, and told him "this is what happens when you don't eat your vegetables."

Inevitability
2017-02-04, 04:47 AM

Once, when I was 16, a young boy - probably five or so - asked why I was in a chair. I looked him dead in the eye, and told him "this is what happens when you don't eat your vegetables."

Nice. I've found pictures of scurvy victims a good motivator as well. :smalltongue:

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-04, 10:11 AM
When I was a little boy for Christmas, I was wishing to get every single video game console and every video game exist. But it turns out I get only one video game console and five video games. Oh well it's better than nothing. :smile:

8BitNinja
2017-02-05, 11:55 AM
I think that I might be hated by some people here

lylsyly
2017-02-05, 01:30 PM
Don't worry about the old thread, let it die a natural death.

For my 1st confession in the new thread ...

I hate the Patriots!

Inevitability
2017-02-05, 01:33 PM

It's not me. You're a fine forum-goer, if a bit too Good.

2D8HP
2017-02-05, 02:26 PM

:confused:

Eh...

Wow, I just learned that 2D8HP is more of a mentor than I thought. How high is your WIS score?

...2D8HP and Lettuce have both done a much better job of phrasing points I intended to make.

D-damn, dude. That's intense.

Wow. Those are both mighty moving, and I'd like to see more of each.

You are welcome at my game any time. This is playing right people!

Like 2D8HP expressed, as long as the setting is BADASS!

Holy crap 2d8HP! That's a hell of a novel you wrote. Thanks!

I like the cut of your jib.

I am really, really impressed by your ability to turn everything into a "old D&D was better" statement. Here we have a thread about tolerance for racial fetishes, and somehow you still manage to make your point!

You're like this forums Cato the Elder.

:smile:

2D8HP, you keep shifting (in my mind) from a forty year old man who is pretty normal to a cranky old man who wants everything to be the way it was back before Korea.

It was a dark and dreadful time. It's good that it passed.

You know what?
All I had to do to be upset at this is just read the thread title,
and the creator's first post.

That is not funny at all

So just fyi, your attitude is deeply offensive

Dude....get off your high horse.

Confession: I decided to finally check out the confessions thread and dropped into the middle of this, immediately hit some stuff that stood on a nerve in stiletto heels, and promptly forgot it was the confessions thread.

and you had to roll for stats uphill both ways, through the rain and the snow

In this thread & others 2D8HP has pretty clearly said that he's dismissive of anyone who enjoys different play-styles to his own and considers them to be inferior. So...

Your elvish spelling is horrible, it's spelt B't'm'f'tb'', obviously.

See this? This is confrontational, and it's unnecessary....

....But a post like this? You betray yourself, sir. This kind of post - and it's not the first of its kind by you, in this thread or others...

......You are insulting the people who disagree with you, and it's uncalled for.....
.....But your attitude towards those who disagree is callous and dismissive, and you can do better than that.

Posts like this make me wonder why you bother with this forum. It's obvious you're not interested in 5E as written.

Eh. I like having lots of options. I like having the freedom to choose from a wide variety of possibilities to build a wide array of characters. 5e is already pretty streamlined. If you want to reduce it that much, you might as well make a simple fantasy heartbreaker and be done with it.

:frown:

8BitNinja
2017-02-05, 02:56 PM

Eh...

:smile:

To be fair, that one where I said that I imagined you as a cranky old man was not an insult. It was actually a compliment. I have the deepest respect for my elders.

2D8HP
2017-02-05, 03:23 PM
To be fair, that one where I said that I imagined you as a cranky old man was not an insult. It was actually a compliment. I have the deepest respect for my elders.

I know (the original post made that clear), it was just funnier that way, and it balanced out a compliment.

Also, one of the "compliments" was obviously actually a criticism, but it was funnier for me not to notice the sarcasm.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/stylinonline/big-bang-theory-was-that-sarcasm-baby-tee-9.jpg

Besides:

http://i67.tinypic.com/dnccoo.png

Aedilred
2017-02-06, 11:52 AM
I was hoping this thread would die a death when it hit fifty pages.

8BitNinja
2017-02-06, 04:01 PM
Besides:

[/SIZE]http://i67.tinypic.com/dnccoo.png

I will never forget this

lylsyly
2017-02-06, 06:23 PM
I was hoping this thread would die a death when it hit fifty pages.

Huh ... this is page one ;)

Old thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476222-Confessions/page51) ;)

8BitNinja
2017-02-06, 06:30 PM

Old thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476222-Confessions/page51) ;)

But no one should be replying to it

lylsyly
2017-02-06, 06:36 PM
I left word there too.

I must confess, I really hate the Patriots.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-06, 07:40 PM

You should see what some of the people on this site think of me.

2D8HP
2017-02-06, 08:13 PM
You should see what some of the people on this site think of me.

I think...

METAL!!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Sabs.jpg

8BitNinja
2017-02-06, 08:48 PM
I am working on three different projects in my spare time

Aedilred
2017-02-06, 09:20 PM

You know what I mean.

I just don't think this thread really serves any purpose. Probably only about one in ten posts are actual confessions or responses to them and the rest is just bumf of the sort that would otherwise go in Random Banter, except with a different clique.

In any case I think the inhabitants of the previous thread were well aware that it had hit 50 pages; by replying there to tell them not to reply all it did was bump that thread back up nearer the top of the board, thus making it more likely people would reply to it.

2D8HP
2017-02-06, 10:04 PM
...I just don't think this thread really serves any purpose....

Aedilred, I imagine that your either too virtuous to have much to confess, or too wise to!

Anyway,
Confession: Since the original thread is still going (despite being over 50 pages), I feel ridiculous in making this one.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-06, 10:17 PM
I'm always lonely. I'm single and I don't have nobody to talk to. :frown:

8BitNinja
2017-02-07, 07:49 PM
I'm always lonely. I'm single and I don't have nobody to talk to. :frown:

Yeah, I think that a good aligned drow would have that kind of problem. No one in the underdark wants to talk to you and everyone out of it thinks that you're evil.

But it's okay, I can be your friend.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-07, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I think that a good aligned drow would have that kind of problem. No one in the underdark wants to talk to you and everyone out of it thinks that you're evil.

But it's okay, I can be your friend.Aww..Thanks bestie. :smile:

8BitNinja
2017-02-07, 08:02 PM
Aww..Thanks bestie. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEL2cuUf6M

kyoryu
2017-02-07, 09:54 PM
I constantly feel a bit pervy that my wife is 14 years younger than me.

The fact that she pursued me helps. Kinda.

DiamondBreaker4
2017-02-08, 12:12 AM
I'm still in that waifu/hasubando stage and I'm 23. Help.

lylsyly
2017-02-08, 09:04 AM
I constantly feel a bit pervy that my wife is 14 years younger than me.

The fact that she pursued me helps. Kinda.

Nah ... my 2nd wife was 10 year youngers than I, and pursued the **** out of her. Didn't feel a bit bad about it either.

Although, I must confess, the marriage only lasted 6 years (her family hated me and I hated them right back), it was a GREAT 6 years (for both of us). We still chat with each other now and then.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-02-08, 09:12 AM

To be honest I kind of disliked you, I mean does self-righteous ring a bell to self-proclaimed Lawful good paladin?

I also remember you wanting to close down a LGBT thread out of nowhere in one of your first posts since a support tread "Was offensive to you".

But after you got a snazzy new avatar and made like a thousand posts I kind of learned how to tolerate you as a constant presence in this forums.

Inevitability
2017-02-08, 02:00 PM
I seriously question the necessity of this thread.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-08, 02:32 PM
I seriously question the necessity of this thread.

I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be necessary. You know, friendly banter and all that.

Aedilred
2017-02-08, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be necessary. You know, friendly banter and all that.

"Necessary" might be the wrong word. But we already have a random banter thread, which is what this thread effectively mostly comprises. I think at some point in the previous thread it was actually a place for genuine confessions which kind of served a purpose, but then it got overwhelmed by fake confessions and "confessions" that not only weren't true but weren't actually confessions at all, and would be more suitable in Random Banter, or elsewhere.

So I think there is a strong argument to be made that in substance, if not in title, this is a duplicate thread, and we have rules against that. And that otherwise it's consistently off-topic, and there are rules against that too. A mod actually remarked upon this towards the end of the last thread, but it didn't really change much about its nature.

I think the real reason this thread persists is, as I alluded to previously, because it's where certain posters come for random banter (rather than the random banter thread) - Bartmanhomer, 8BitNinja, 2d8HP and others I would recognise by avatar but can't remember off the top of my head. What purpose is therefore served by maintaining this as a separate thread rather than folding it into RB - I don't know.

But anyway, a confession: I still check this thread every time the green tick appears on the friendly banter main page, even though I am near-certain that nothing posted in here since the last time will be of any value :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 03:29 PM
To be honest I kind of disliked you, I mean does self-righteous ring a bell to self-proclaimed Lawful good paladin?

I also remember you wanting to close down a LGBT thread out of nowhere in one of your first posts since a support tread "Was offensive to you".

But after you got a snazzy new avatar and made like a thousand posts I kind of learned how to tolerate you as a constant presence in this forums.

I don't remember saying that. But if I did, It would've have to been a while ago. Remember that back when I made that, I was a very different person when it came to the expression of opinion. I do not believe that any thread should be shut down, regardless of anyone's feelings, including mine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, past me was a little... let's just say "spicy"

That's another confession, when I started out here, I was kind of arrogant and didn't exactly know when, where, or how to express something.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 03:47 PM
"Necessary" might be the wrong word. But we already have a random banter thread, which is what this thread effectively mostly comprises. I think at some point in the previous thread it was actually a place for genuine confessions which kind of served a purpose, but then it got overwhelmed by fake confessions and "confessions" that not only weren't true but weren't actually confessions at all, and would be more suitable in Random Banter, or elsewhere.

So I think there is a strong argument to be made that in substance, if not in title, this is a duplicate thread, and we have rules against that. And that otherwise it's consistently off-topic, and there are rules against that too. A mod actually remarked upon this towards the end of the last thread, but it didn't really change much about its nature.

I think the real reason this thread persists is, as I alluded to previously, because it's where certain posters come for random banter (rather than the random banter thread) - Bartmanhomer, 8BitNinja, 2d8HP and others I would recognise by avatar but can't remember off the top of my head. What purpose is therefore served by maintaining this as a separate thread rather than folding it into RB - I don't know.

But anyway, a confession: I still check this thread every time the green tick appears on the friendly banter main page, even though I am near-certain that nothing posted in here since the last time will be of any value :smalltongue:

It's was my thread that started it. I was the one who started the confession. But I guess the Confession thread just went over the top.

Dallas-Dakota
2017-02-08, 03:59 PM
I'm going to drop out of college because I don't have any work ethic and as soon as I can't handle something I get scared and back out.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-02-08, 05:12 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is, past me was a little... let's just say "spicy"

I know that's why i said I USED to dislike you, but I'm over that now since you seem to have learned(dispite still having some mysoginistic ideas.)

kyoryu
2017-02-08, 05:33 PM
Although, I must confess, the marriage only lasted 6 years (her family hated me and I hated them right back), it was a GREAT 6 years (for both of us). We still chat with each other now and then.

Strangely, her family seems to love me.

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 06:49 PM
I know that's why i said I USED to dislike you, but I'm over that now since you seem to have learned(dispite still having some mysoginistic ideas.)

Hey, I said in my sig that I was Lawful Good, not Lawful Perfect :smalltongue:

But yeah, after that one thread I made, I can see why someone would think that.

I just want to also say that I apologize for that too. While I hold certain opinions about certain activists out there, and some may be controversial, I, in fact, do not hate women.

I hope this isn't sounding like a "politician's promise" and an actual apology.

Boy do I have a lot of skeletons in my closet, and these skeletons are more like revenants.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 06:55 PM
When I was a teenager I work at the New York Aquarium, I scare the visitors with Horseshoe Crabs. Mostly the little kids. :biggrin:

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 07:02 PM
When I was a teenager I work at the New York Aquarium, I scare the visitors with Horseshoe Crabs. Mostly the little kids. :biggrin:

Why would anyone be scared of a horseshoe crab? They look awesome

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 07:17 PM

The reason why some people are afraid of horseshoe crabs because they think that horseshoe crabs are dangerous and poisonous. Which they aren't dangerous and poisonous at all. Horseshoe crabs are completely harmless. Think about it if horseshoe crabs were dangerous and poisonous and the aquarium allowed visitor to touch them well it obviously going to hurt the visitors and have the aquarium shut down for good. Also everybody who works at the aquarium would definately be arrested and go to prison. Let me assure you that the aquarium doesn't allowed visitor to touch dangerous and poisonous marine animals. We allow the visitors to touch harmless marine animals such as a horseshoe crab. I hope that explain everything the misconceptions of horseshoe crabs. :smile:

kyoryu
2017-02-08, 07:23 PM
I hope that explain everything the misconceptions of horseshoe crabs. :smile:

It certainly explains why they're used to shoe horses! Thanks!

S@tanicoaldo
2017-02-08, 07:26 PM

Awesome? That thing look like a F Xenomorph larvae!!!

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 07:27 PM
Awesome? That thing look like a F Xenomorph larvae!!!

And that's not cool?

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 07:31 PM
It certainly explains why they're used to shoe horses! Thanks!

You're thinking of horseshoe. Although the horseshoe crab body does shaped like a horseshoe. :smile:

8BitNinja
2017-02-08, 07:37 PM
I wish that I could meet everyone I have had long conversations with, both good and bad, in real life.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-08, 07:44 PM
I wish that I could meet everyone I have had long conversations with, both good and bad, in real life.

I think you may have mention back in the old Confession thread.

Confession: I stuttered a lot.

2D8HP
2017-02-10, 07:43 AM
Confession:
I must be spending a lot of time at the Playground, because I just awoke from a dream where I was reading and writing posts to this Forum!

8BitNinja
2017-02-10, 07:21 PM
Confession:
I must be spending a lot of time at the Playground, because I just awoke from a dream where I was reading and writing posts to this Forum!

I had a dream like that once

But I never woke up

Delicious Taffy
2017-02-10, 08:17 PM
I often get the feeling that people see me as an uneducated loudmouth, but I'm not sure if that's based on fact or my own insecurities stemming from getting a GED instead of a high school diploma.

I also worry I'm not a good partner to my significant other, despite being told otherwise quite frequently.

It upsets me greatly that I haven't picked a career path yet, 6 years after leaving school, but nothing I've considered has actually grabbed my interest when I tried it out.

Aedilred
2017-02-11, 01:31 AM
It upsets me greatly that I haven't picked a career path yet, 6 years after leaving school, but nothing I've considered has actually grabbed my interest when I tried it out.

Don't worry, you've still got several years of aimless drifting to go before you end up in my position :smalltongue: That said, I did pick a career path, it's just that ended up not really working out before it even properly got going, and I've ended up back in career purgatory.

8BitNinja
2017-02-11, 10:58 AM
I often get the feeling that people see me as an uneducated loudmouth, but I'm not sure if that's based on fact or my own insecurities stemming from getting a GED instead of a high school diploma.

I for one do not see you as uneducated.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-12, 03:52 PM
I found a whole lot of something my boss and the police are supposed to be informed of and I am leaving it to the next employee, if anybody does it.

I am very rapidly realizing this day is beyond saving and I don't care.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-12, 11:14 PM

I also worry I'm not a good partner to my significant other, despite being told otherwise quite frequently.

It upsets me greatly that I haven't picked a career path yet, 6 years after leaving school, but nothing I've considered has actually grabbed my interest when I tried it out.You're very intelligent man. I'm sure you'll find a good career in your life. Good luck man. :smile:

Willenium
2017-02-13, 03:27 PM

I like you.

8BitNinja
2017-02-13, 04:28 PM
I have never broken a bone. I'm not sure if it's from being careful or a high CON score

2D8HP
2017-02-13, 09:55 PM
I have broken bones. If you look at an x-ray of my right arm you'll see what looks like sheet metal screws fastening a bar to the bones of my forearm.

My chief dilemma at work is how to appear that I am productive enough to retain, but not cripple myself trying to be productive, so I may still work in the future.

It's a fine line.

I wish I knew of how to earn a living without risking crippling injuries.

My co-workers go to bars and casino"s, I don't, I save most of my earnings, out of the fear that they will end.

kyoryu
2017-02-14, 10:58 AM
I have never broken a bone. I'm not sure if it's from being careful or a high CON score

I could have said this until about three weeks ago :(

8BitNinja
2017-02-14, 07:22 PM
I could have said this until about three weeks ago :(

I'm sorry dude. I can't say that I feel your pain, but I can imagine how much it would hurt. :smallfrown:

kyoryu
2017-02-14, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry dude. I can't say that I feel your pain, but I can imagine how much it would hurt. :smallfrown:

It's less bad than you'd think. I busted a rib playing hockey, getting kind of catapulted on the ice. Adrenaline is your friend.

And I either finished breaking it or rebroke it about a week later, lying on my side. That hurt. But it hasn't been too bad since.

Strigon
2017-02-14, 10:17 PM
I've never actually broken a bone, but I've had a fracture.
Unfortunately, that fracture was my femur, so in terms of pain and recover time it was almost as bad as a real break. Allegedly, at least.

Aside from that, I've never had a hospital trip due to injury.

Lemmy
2017-02-15, 09:13 AM
I never let my nephew or nieces beat me at anything... I don't care if you're family, I'm not losing to a 9 years old in Street Fighter!

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 09:23 AM
I never let my nephew or nieces beat me at anything... I don't care if you're family, I'm not losing to a 9 years old in Street Fighter!

My older brother beat me from Marvel vs. Tatsunko video game. This was his very first time playing. I asked Bro have you play this game before. He said no. I didn't believe him even though he's an expert of fighting video games. :mad:

Lemmy
2017-02-15, 09:47 AM
My older brother beat me from Marvel vs. Tatsunko video game. This was his very first time playing. I asked Bro have you play this game before. He said no. I didn't believe him even though he's an expert of fighting video games. :mad:Games of the same genre often share similar base mechanics and concepts, so he might have been telling the truth. I love fighting games and play a whole bunch of them, so I often beat my less devoted friends in games I barely play (or haven't even played yet) simply because I have a much better grasp of the "universal basics" of fighting games... OTOH, I have a friend who'll beat me 9 out of 10 times in any racing game other than Mario Kart.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 09:53 AM
Games of the same genre often share similar base mechanics and concepts, so he might have been telling the truth. I love fighting games and play a whole bunch of them, so I often beat my less devoted friends in games I barely play (or haven't even played yet) simply because I have a much better grasp of the "universal basics" of fighting games... OTOH, I have a friend who'll beat me 9 out of 10 times in any racing game other than Mario Kart.
Yeah, I guess you're right about that. I just wish my brother was easy to beat. :annoyed:

Avianmosquito
2017-02-15, 04:05 PM
I am an exceptionally angry person. Everything in my life makes me angrier. I have to go out of my way to not blow a gasket because the world sucks and I can see how and why. And I see nothing wrong with that. That's not a confession to me, but I guess that is to most people.

8BitNinja
2017-02-15, 04:16 PM
I have issues

a few of them

Avianmosquito
2017-02-15, 04:20 PM
I have issues

a few of them

Me too! Let's form a support group where we all get drunk and pretend our first-world bull**** matters the slightest bit compared to not being to eat, and being able to eat matters in a universe that wouldn't notice if our entire galaxy blinked out of existence right now. Surely, we'll be much better off.

The Eye
2017-02-15, 06:12 PM
I'm such a loser and so lonely, that I never really played D&D in real life... Since I never had any friends to play with. : /

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 06:14 PM
I'm such a loser and so lonely, that I never really played D&D in real life... Since I never had any friends to play with. : /Aw..I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:

Strigon
2017-02-15, 06:17 PM
I'm tremendously uncomfortable with any service industry, even as a customer, because I'm not sure how they work and I have a crippling fear of inconveniencing people.

I once walked 20 minutes to a Tim Horton's in the winter, realized I had no idea how to even order properly, and walked 20 minutes back without even crossing the threshold. Of course, I apologized to my friend who I was picking up a coffee for when I got back, making this possibly the most Canadian story posted on this forum.

More recently (as in, today) this has also led to a most unfortunate haircut.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 06:21 PM
I have a celebrity crush on Lady Gaga. :redface:

The Eye
2017-02-15, 06:31 PM
I think shaking hands is kind of unhygienic, I prefer to wave my hand but that's rude for some people.

8BitNinja
2017-02-15, 06:49 PM
I like patriotic music

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 06:52 PM
I got a lot of friends, online and offline. :smile:

Avianmosquito
2017-02-15, 06:53 PM
I hate country.

The Eye
2017-02-15, 06:56 PM
I hate Igor Stravinsky music, with exception of "The firebird". '-'

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 06:58 PM
I like all types of music except classical opera music. Those types of music always put me to sleep.

The Eye
2017-02-15, 07:01 PM
I like all types of music except classical opera music. Those types of music always put me to sleep.

Really? Have you heard this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ODfuMMyss

In special at 00:38.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-15, 07:06 PM
Really? Have you heard this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ODfuMMyss

In special at 00:38.No this is my first time hear it. Another confession: I was wrong, Opera rocks! :biggrin:

Aedilred
2017-02-15, 09:06 PM
One of the things worth remembering about opera is that it's not meant to be listened to in isolation: it's an audiovisual medium and you're meant to watch it as well as listen to it. There are often passages of recitative which make very dull listening because your attention is meant to be occupied by what's happening on stage. Listening to an opera in full without having watched it is a bit like listening to a (complete!) film score without ever having seen the film. There are absolutely parts worth listening to for their own sake, but it's rare you get a full one that holds your attention throughout.

Since attending opera live is expensive, I do still listen to it a lot more than I do watch it, and I've come to notice how there are some pretty boring passages even in otherwise great operas by great composers. One of the reasons I like Puccini so much (and in particular the flawed masterpiece that is Turandot) is that he does a good job of "filling" his operas and eliminates most of the dull parts: it suits the way I tend to experience opera.

On the other hand, I must confess, I have a terrible habit of falling asleep at live performances during some of the more delicate arias (usually death scenes towards the end of the opera). Those are generally parts of the performance where there isn't anything much happening on stage, and the part of my brain that's constantly tired takes over and notices that I'm sitting still in a dark, warm room listening to soothing music.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 08:55 AM
I love Phantom In The Opera The Updated Movie. Their music is great. :smile:

Aedilred
2017-02-16, 11:05 AM
I love Phantom In The Opera The Updated Movie. Their music is great. :smile:

Really, Phantom is a musical, rather than an opera, but the distinction is often a fine one. I haven't seen the film; I saw the stage production years ago, though. I tend to find Lloyd-Webber a bit corny, and I have a grudge against Phantom in particular after I realised the main theme was ripped off Echoes. But whatever floats your boat.

2D8HP
2017-02-16, 11:36 AM
When I hear the old punk rock ballads of my youth that have been imprinted on my mind for decades (such as Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJOeMDsnJWI)

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nTO7nXw4StY)), then I have an almost instant emotional response of joy or melancholy. But hearing new punk rock just makes me annoyed or bored.

I know the music is largely the same, the only difference is me which I find worrisome.

Saint Jimmy
2017-02-16, 11:50 AM
It's the same? I haven't really heard any "new" punk at all, other then pop punk that is trying to be marketed as "real" punk. Could you give some examples?

Aedilred
2017-02-16, 11:52 AM
When I hear the old punk rock ballads of my youth that have been imprinted on my mind for decades (such as Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJOeMDsnJWI)

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nTO7nXw4StY)), then I have an almost instant emotional response of joy or melancholy. But hearing new punk rock just makes me annoyed or bored.

I know the music is largely the same, the only difference is me which I find worrisome.

I seem to remember there's some kind of psychological response which causes you to find enjoyment when you recognise familiar music even if you didn't/don't actually like it that much. I've noticed this myself where songs I actively despised when they were current come on the radio and I perk up for a moment before remembering that I never actually liked that song. Presumably the same phenomenon that caused a friend of mine to unthinkingly and unironically declare "CHOOOOON!" on hearing the opening bars of My Heart Will Go On a while back, and thus expose himself to mockery forever.

It might just be that you no longer really like punk rock that much at all, but your brain gives you the endorphin rush resulting from recognition of the songs of your youth; the security of familiarity (and nostalgia?) overriding taste. Newer music doesn't have that recognition factor, so you just go "ugh, I don't like this".

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 12:03 PM
Really, Phantom is a musical, rather than an opera, but the distinction is often a fine one. I haven't seen the film; I saw the stage production years ago, though. I tend to find Lloyd-Webber a bit corny, and I have a grudge against Phantom in particular after I realised the main theme was ripped off Echoes. But whatever floats your boat.
It's really a musical? I always thought it was an opera because of the name. :eek:

Aedilred
2017-02-16, 12:18 PM
It's really a musical? I always thought it was an opera because of the name. :eek:

It's a musical. A musical about an opera, hence the name. Musicals about musicals or operas ("backstage musicals") are pretty common, especially in film, because it provides a readymade excuse for the inclusion of large amounts of musical content while remaining in character.

The difference between operas and musicals is hard to pin down, but musicals tend to include a higher proportion of spoken-word dialogue (and consequently more discrete "songs" which begin and end neatly), more of an emphasis on dancing from the main performers (opera singers generally don't dance) and feature a more popular style of music, as well as more technical aids like artificial amplification (opera singers aren't usually miked up). It's a sliding scale, though, and there is a fairly large grey area, where definition as musical or as opera largely comes down to self-definition, or sometimes even just the nature of performance. See for instance most of the work of Gilbert and Sullivan, or indeed as a contemporary example, Jerry Springer: the Opera.

That said, Phantom, like most of the work of Lloyd-Webber, is a pretty "musical" musical as these things go. Not quite so much as the jukebox musical (like Mamma Mia or We Will Rock You, where the musical is plotted and written entirely around existing songs) but probably just this side of it.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 12:23 PM
It's a musical. A musical about an opera, hence the name. Musicals about musicals or operas ("backstage musicals") are pretty common, especially in film, because it provides a readymade excuse for the inclusion of large amounts of musical content while remaining in character.

The difference between operas and musicals is hard to pin down, but musicals tend to include a higher proportion of spoken-word dialogue (and consequently more discrete "songs" which begin and end neatly), more of an emphasis on dancing from the main performers (opera singers generally don't dance) and feature a more popular style of music, as well as more technical aids like artificial amplification (opera singers aren't usually miked up). It's a sliding scale, though, and there is a fairly large grey area, though, where definition as musical or as opera largely comes down to self-definition, or sometimes even just the nature of performance. See for instance most of the work of Gilbert and Sullivan, or indeed as a contemporary example, Jerry Springer: the Opera.

That said, Phantom, like most of the work of Lloyd-Webber, is a pretty "musical" musical as these things go. Not quite so much as the jukebox musical (like Mamma Mia or We Will Rock You, where the musical is plotted and written entirely around existing songs) but probably just this side of it.Thank you for verifying the difference between opera and a musical. Confession: I troll so many forums and I got banned by so many forums. True story.

Aedilred
2017-02-16, 12:28 PM
Thank you for verifying the difference between opera and a musical. Confession: I troll so many forums and I got banned by so many forums. True story.

I hate to say it, but I'm not that surprised.

2D8HP
2017-02-16, 12:31 PM
...Could you give some examples?

Not really. I either don't bother to try to remember band names that I don't enjoy, or in a few cases the bands members are from my long ago social circle and I don't want to rag on their new songs.

In any case "pop" punk pre-existed most of the "real" "hardcore" "underground" punk of the '80's (I was "in the scene" from '83 till nineteen-ninety-whatever), so I'm doubtful that there's been any actual dilution, I'm sure someone is in a garage somewhere is "keeping it real".

.....Newer music doesn't have that recognition factor, so you just go "ugh, I don't like this".

That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Confession: Except for old tapes, I largely listen to the Classical and Jazz stations on the radio while I drive now (I find commercials extremely annoying, and those stations only have "pledge drives" a few times a year).

My younger self would be appalled, I should go kick that snot nosed punk, who does he think he is!

(Oh right....)

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 12:57 PM
I used to be a bottom tier chess player but now I'm a middle tier chess player. :smile:

2D8HP
2017-02-16, 02:45 PM
....See for instance most of the work of Gilbert and Sullivan....

I thought that the works of Gilbert and Sullivan were called "Light Opera"?

Red Fel
2017-02-16, 02:59 PM
I thought that the works of Gilbert and Sullivan were called "Light Opera"?

As did I; I think they're generally recognized as opera, as opposed to musicals. They are, however, somewhat lighter and more accessible than, say, Wagner or Verdi, which puts them closer to "musicals" than some other operas.

And on the other side of the spectrum, you have musicals like Les Miserables, which carry many of the hallmarks of opera (long performance, few if any spoken words, little if any dancing), but still a few tokens of musicals (more discrete songs, probability of being miked); if Gilbert and Sullivan made the "musicals" of "opera," than something like Les Mis is the "opera" of "musicals."

Phantom, however, is a straight-up musical, notwithstanding its setting in the backstage of an opera. Michael Crawford is a treat, but he's no opera singer.

8BitNinja
2017-02-16, 05:50 PM
I used to be a bottom tier chess player but now I'm a middle tier chess player. :smile:

I'm terrible at chess.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 06:41 PM
I'm terrible at chess.

Practice. :smile:

Perch
2017-02-16, 07:32 PM
The day I heard this part of Carmen by Bizet in a kids show, I got obsessed with opera. I couldn’t rest until I had found the song's name and until today I love opera thanks to this one song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_HHRJf0xg

Also a opera is as similar to a musical as RPG is to monopoly. They both use dice just as they both sing and act but that is how superficial the similarities are.

Besides, operas are usually a lot more serious, darker, full of death, violence and sex.

Lemmy
2017-02-16, 07:50 PM
Practice. :smile:
Same goes for fighting games... Just saying... :smallbiggrin:

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 07:52 PM

And you forget one thing, same thing applies to all types of games as well. :smile:

Perch
2017-02-16, 07:55 PM

Lies, a dog smashing all the controller’s bottom would do as good as a guy who spent days practicing. : p

Lemmy
2017-02-16, 08:08 PM
And you forget one thing, same thing applies to all types of games as well. :smile:Except for games of chance, like slot machines. Practice doesn't really help with those...

Lies, a dog smashing all the controller’s bottom would do as good as a guy who spent days practicing. : pNah... That dog needs to at least know how to consistently perform a shoryuken and when to hold the block button.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 08:17 PM
Except for games of chance, like slot machines. Practice doesn't really help with those...

Nah... That dog needs to at least know how to consistently perform a shoryuken and when to hold the block button.Oh yeah. I forgot that chance games doesn't work.

8BitNinja
2017-02-16, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot that chance games doesn't work.

I don't consider chance games, well, games. I think a game's outcome needs to be determined by a measure of the player(s)'s skill(s)

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-16, 10:25 PM
I don't consider chance games, well, games. I think a game's outcome needs to be determined by a measure of the player(s)'s skill(s)
There are some games that doesn't need skill.

Lemmy
2017-02-16, 10:39 PM
I confess that I'm willing to take a lot less **** from my siblings (all older than me) ever since I outgrew all of them by at least 8 inches... :smallbiggrin:

Bicorn
2017-02-17, 08:58 AM
Except for games of chance, like slot machines. Practice doesn't really help with those...

Practice makes you able to realise when to stop... Or not to start at all, really the only way to win with those kinds of games.

Strigon
2017-02-17, 09:41 AM

Where do you draw the line?
Poker, for example, has a great deal of skill involved, yet is primarily based on luck. Is that a game? What about Blackjack, Monopoly, D&D, Go Fish, Candyland, The Game of Life?

Red Fel
2017-02-17, 10:08 AM
Besides, operas are usually a lot more serious, darker, full of death, violence and sex.

Do you consider Miss Saigon a musical or an opera? Because it contains:
War
Prostitution
Death, and plenty of it
Shattered dreams
Dark humor
Emotional trauma
Orphans
Nightmare sequences
Seduction/sex scene
It's also considered a Broadway classic.

Aedilred
2017-02-17, 10:27 AM
Poker, for example, has a great deal of skill involved, yet is primarily based on luck. Is that a game? What about Blackjack, Monopoly, D&D, Go Fish, Candyland, The Game of Life?

A good poker player would say that there is much more skill in poker than luck. Although there is an element of chance in which cards you are dealt, the real object of the game is to deceive the other players as to the nature of your hand. In versions where additional cards are dealt after the initial hand there is also an element of skill in odds calculation: knowing which hands have a good chance of developing into better hands later in the round, and which are lost causes. But a great player can still play on an unsuited 2/7 if it turns out to be absolutely necessary.

Blackjack has a much lower proportion of skill to luck. Roulette is pretty much entirely a game of chance. But these are not really games in their own right. While they can be played without gambling, there is pretty much no point. The excitement and entertainment comes not from the play itself but the prospect of winning money. Playing with matchsticks or chips with no cash-out gets pretty dull pretty quickly.

Snakes and Ladders is entirely a game of chance, as are some other basic boardgames, and have no gambling element (although one could be added). But these tend to be very simple games for young children, really just introducing them to the concept of board games, and aren't going to be played by anyone voluntarily past a certain age.

So while I think 8bitninja's assertion is a little reductive ("game" is a very broad category and does, imo, and certainly in standard definition, encompass purely chance-based games) I do think the implication behind it - that no game worth playing (by anyone with discriminative faculties) is reliant entirely on chance, and if a game isn't worth playing then it barely deserves to be considered a game at all.

Perch
2017-02-17, 11:00 AM
Do you consider Miss Saigon a musical or an opera? Because it contains:
War
Prostitution
Death, and plenty of it
Shattered dreams
Dark humor
Emotional trauma
Orphans
Nightmare sequences
Seduction/sex scene
It's also considered a Broadway classic.

Did I said always? No I don't think so... I said usually. : )

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-17, 11:50 AM
A good poker player would say that there is much more skill in poker than luck. Although there is an element of chance in which cards you are dealt, the real object of the game is to deceive the other players as to the nature of your hand. In versions where additional cards are dealt after the initial hand there is also an element of skill in odds calculation: knowing which hands have a good chance of developing into better hands later in the round, and which are lost causes. But a great player can still play on an unsuited 2/7 if it turns out to be absolutely necessary.

Blackjack has a much lower proportion of skill to luck. Roulette is pretty much entirely a game of chance. But these are not really games in their own right. While they can be played without gambling, there is pretty much no point. The excitement and entertainment comes not from the play itself but the prospect of winning money. Playing with matchsticks or chips with no cash-out gets pretty dull pretty quickly.

Snakes and Ladders is entirely a game of chance, as are some other basic boardgames, and have no gambling element (although one could be added). But these tend to be very simple games for young children, really just introducing them to the concept of board games, and aren't going to be played by anyone voluntarily past a certain age.

So while I think 8bitninja's assertion is a little reductive ("game" is a very broad category and does, imo, and certainly in standard definition, encompass purely chance-based games) I do think the implication behind it - that no game worth playing (by anyone with discriminative faculties) is reliant entirely on chance, and if a game isn't worth playing then it barely deserves to be considered a game at all.And may I add that Poker involves real math: It's depend the number the pot that player either raise or call. Also it's depends on the poker player style. The Loose-Passive, Tight-Passive, Loose-Aggressive and Tight-Aggressive players. The Loose-Passive player will have a difficult time winning. The Tight-Aggressive will have a easy time winning.

Aedilred
2017-02-17, 01:12 PM
Here's a confession for the thread:

I dislike the blue text common on this forum, and instinctively find myself thinking less of people who use it.

8BitNinja
2017-02-17, 06:12 PM

I mean games like slots, where all there is, is luck. D&D, Go Fish, and Monopoly can all have outcomes determined by the player. Candyland on the other hand, is just picking up a card. The player cannot determine anything. Therefore, I do not consider it a game.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-17, 06:16 PM
I mean games like slots, where all there is, is luck. D&D, Go Fish, and Monopoly can all have outcomes determined by the player. Candyland on the other hand, is just picking up a card. The player cannot determine anything. Therefore, I do not consider it a game.It's still a game regardless of its element. Even made up games have its element as well.

8BitNinja
2017-02-18, 11:57 AM
It's still a game regardless of its element. Even made up games have its element as well.

I don't need you to agree with me, nor do I care if you don't. It's just my opinion

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-18, 12:10 PM
I don't need you to agree with me, nor do I care if you don't. It's just my opinion

So does my opinion and everyone else. :annoyed:

Aedilred
2017-02-18, 01:46 PM
I mean games like slots, where all there is, is luck. D&D, Go Fish, and Monopoly can all have outcomes determined by the player. Candyland on the other hand, is just picking up a card. The player cannot determine anything. Therefore, I do not consider it a game.
What is it though, if not a game?

Some opinions are wrong and deserve to have this pointed out. Just saying.

8BitNinja
2017-02-18, 10:50 PM
So does my opinion and everyone else. :annoyed:

I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just saying that, in the end, what I say doesn't matter.

Some opinions are wrong and deserve to have this pointed out. Just saying.

If you think I'm wrong, good for you.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-18, 10:54 PM
I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just saying that, in the end, what I say doesn't matter.

If you think I'm wrong, good for you.I never said that you were offending me. You have your opinion and I have my opinion. I think you're being overprotective about people attacking your opinion. Which we're not attacking your opinion by the way. :annoyed:

8BitNinja
2017-02-19, 10:28 PM
I never said that you were offending me. You have your opinion and I have my opinion. I think you're being overprotective about people attacking your opinion. Which we're not attacking your opinion by the way. :annoyed:

I'm sorry about that. On the internet, tone is a hard thing for me to interpret.

Please forgive me

8BitNinja
2017-02-19, 10:30 PM

Real life obviously

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-19, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry about that. On the internet, tone is a hard thing for me to interpret.

Please forgive meDon't worry about it. It's hard for everybody on the internet. :smile:

Avianmosquito
2017-02-20, 10:45 PM
A friend of mine has fallen hook, line and sinker for the Amway pyramid scheme. And I'm not going to bother trying to talk him out of it.

Lemmy
2017-02-20, 11:59 PM
A friend of mine has fallen hook, line and sinker for the Amway pyramid scheme. And I'm not going to bother trying to talk him out of it.
Why not? Isn't that one of those situations where friends are supposed to intervene?

Avianmosquito
2017-02-21, 12:02 AM
Why not? Isn't that one of those situations where friends are supposed to intervene?

Because I know it'll be a waste of time.

Prince Zahn
2017-02-21, 02:10 AM
My confession:

I'm not a violent or angry person, but I just want to punch people who say "obviously" or "google it" when I ask them a question. If I ask you what something is, I want your answer, not the internet's. and, more often than not, what I say is not necessarily obvious at all. I hate the condescension of the word "obviously" but bite my tongue when people say it.

Aedilred
2017-02-21, 10:09 AM
My confession:

I'm not a violent or angry person, but I just want to punch people who say "obviously" or "google it" when I ask them a question. If I ask you what something is, I want your answer, not the internet's. and, more often than not, what I say is not necessarily obvious at all. I hate the condescension of the word "obviously" but bite my tongue when people say it.

I sympathise, although I find my reaction may vary depending on which side of the question I'm on. If I ask a question I hate to be told to google it, for the reason you suggest, unless there's an accompanying explanation as to why googling it would be better.

If I'm the one being asked, though, it is frustrating to be asked questions which could easily be answered with a google search - questions like factual definitions or website addresses which would be the top page in any sensible search. When it's a simple matter of someone opening a new tab and searching for themselves to get the same (or better) answer I would give them, expecting me to give an answer instead is just wasting my time because they're lazy. It applies particularly in situations where multiple successive questions are asked which could all be answered by the same search/source (sometimes of the "what does the I in VIP stand for? Uhuh, and what about the V..." variety). After a few of these from the same person, I'm inclined to go for the "just google it" response, or if I'm feeling particularly snarky, lmgtfy.com. Of course, this applies mostly to online live chat scenarios, not so much to real life.

8BitNinja
2017-02-21, 06:40 PM
I sometimes accidentally use my GitP login for DCSS.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-21, 07:47 PM
I sometimes accidentally use my GitP login for DCSS.

What's DCSS stand for?

8BitNinja
2017-02-21, 08:21 PM
What's DCSS stand for?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It's an online browser based rogue like game. It's pretty fun if you are into rogue likes

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-21, 08:23 PM
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It's an online browser based rogue like game. It's pretty fun if you are into rogue likes

Cool. :smile:

Velaryon
2017-02-22, 02:40 AM
I totally forgot about this thread for several weeks.

And so, I wanted to reply to something from the last thread, because I didn't see it when it was originally posted.

I used to hang out with a friend who's very negative. I thought that person can change but it was a waste of time. So I cut off my friendship with that person. :mad:

I've had this same situation. He was a friend at a very difficult time in my life when I had few friends and needed the ones I had very much, but he was always a very negative person and only got more so as he got older. I tried to change him, I tried to play peacemaker when he drove away some of my other friends, and eventually I was forced to admit that I couldn't make him get along with other people if he really didn't want to, and gave up on him.

Now we're Facebook friends and I mostly ignore him unless he tags me or replies to one of my posts. He lives in a different part of the country now, so I'm spared the need to either put up with real interaction or weasel my way out of it.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-22, 03:03 AM
I've been just a bit STRESSED THE **** OUT lately, because a company I don't do business with is stealing TRIPLE DIGITS from me on a monthly basis, and I don't know if I can FEED MY KID.

So... If I snap at you, or I EXPLODE IN PURE ****ING RAGE OVER THE SLIGHTEST OF SLIGHTS, remember that my rage is actually directed at T-Mobile, because they're ****ING THIEVES who are ROBBING ME BLIND right out of my ****ING BANK ACCOUNT when I haven't done business with them since 2015, no matter HOW MANY TIMES I try to fix it and no matter how many ****ING times I trying to cut them off and I have NO LEGAL RECOURSE because corporations are above the law.

So my confession is I am so salty my blood has turned to brine, I guess. Or was it that I may have been a **** because of it? I don't know anymore. Anybody got an ion cannon they can point at T-Mobile? Tell the press Nod got an engineer in your uplink.

Tiri
2017-02-22, 04:04 AM
I once stole one of the middle dolls out of a Russian doll set owned by my cousin and chucked it out the window.

Now I just have to hope she never finds this site.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-22, 11:22 AM
I totally forgot about this thread for several weeks.

And so, I wanted to reply to something from the last thread, because I didn't see it when it was originally posted.

I've had this same situation. He was a friend at a very difficult time in my life when I had few friends and needed the ones I had very much, but he was always a very negative person and only got more so as he got older. I tried to change him, I tried to play peacemaker when he drove away some of my other friends, and eventually I was forced to admit that I couldn't make him get along with other people if he really didn't want to, and gave up on him.

Now we're Facebook friends and I mostly ignore him unless he tags me or replies to one of my posts. He lives in a different part of the country now, so I'm spared the need to either put up with real interaction or weasel my way out of it.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Anyway to me, it happen a long time ago.

Spanish_Paladin
2017-02-22, 12:34 PM
I am batman...

Prince Zahn
2017-02-22, 02:57 PM
Okay, new confession - I swore off sugary foods and drinks recently, but just last Friday I had a spoonful of this really good cheesecake. and it was amazing. I would have felt much worse if I didn't eat it, but a sin is still a sin. I had to start from scratch. it sounds harsh but I won't lose weight by being lenient with myself.

2D8HP
2017-02-22, 04:03 PM
...but I won't lose weight by being lenient with myself.

I don't know if this advice will help, but most guys I know who are overweight, drive a lot, and sleep only a little, wheras most slim guys walk or bicycle more.

So selling the car and paying more in rent aides in slimming down.

Velaryon
2017-02-22, 04:27 PM
Every time I post in this thread, I worry that I am posting something I've already said before.

8BitNinja
2017-02-22, 05:58 PM
I've never been to the hospital as a patient.

Unless if you count when I was born.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-22, 06:12 PM
I write stories. :smile:

The Eye
2017-02-22, 07:22 PM
My laptop has reached its breaking point, it can't load games, the videos are in slowmotion and now it's loading sites with the speed of molasses. But I just moved to a new apartment and I don't have money to buy a new one, at least not a good one.

The amount of stress and unhappiness this has caused me, made me contemplate how dependent I'm of the internet and that I need to find something else to do with my freetime.

8BitNinja
2017-02-22, 07:48 PM
My laptop has reached its breaking point, it can't load games, the videos are in slowmotion and now it's loading sites with the speed of molasses. But I just moved to a new apartment and I don't have money to buy a new one, at least not a good one.

The amount of stress and unhappiness this has caused me, made me contemplate how dependent I'm of the internet and that I need to find something else to do with my freetime.

I know what it's like to have a toaster with a processor that is a hamster wheel run by a hamster with severe asthma. It's super hard to do anything.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-22, 08:22 PM
I used to play video games but not anymore.

Green Elf
2017-02-22, 10:16 PM
I used to play video games but not anymore.

I still do. (I'm back in the conversation!)

Velaryon
2017-02-23, 12:11 AM

I think mine is getting to that point as well. While doing nothing other than checking my email and listening to music, the song froze up multiple times.

I've uninstalled every extension and toolbar from my browser save two: Ad-Block Plus and FireShot. I've gone through my active processes to see if there's anything I can stop from running when I don't need it. None of it seems to help. About the only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset, and that's mostly because I'm far too lazy, and also I'm not sure if I have whatever discs and info I might need to reinstall key programs and stuff.

Prince Zahn
2017-02-23, 12:46 AM
I don't know if this advice will help, but most guys I know who are overweight, drive a lot, and sleep only a little, wheras most slim guys walk or bicycle more.

So selling the car and paying more in rent aides in slimming down.

I don't own a car.
I have two Achilles heels (yes, one on each foot:smalltongue:) sugar, and a distaste for raw vegetables. Vegetables need to be interesting or I won't want to eat them.

I'm also not confident working in the kitchen, so while I can help out a cook, I don't know how to make my own food from base ingredients.

2D8HP
2017-02-23, 01:08 AM
Every time I post in this thread, I worry that I am posting something I've already said before.

Confession:
I've got independent confirmation that I do repeat myself!

While I partly agree with you (I have noted my disagreement with you about related subjects in the past) I...

Other Confession:
I'm in a dark and melancholy mood.

And instead of trying to snap out of it and listen to AC/DC and Sham 69, or watch something funny like Broad City, or Tropic Thunder, I feel compelled to listen to a lot of Kurt Weill
("There are some who live in darkness, there are others bathed in light,
You can see the ones who're shining, those in darkness fade from sight."),
and watching The Threepenney Opera, or listening to Sergei Prokofiev, and watching Alexander Nevsky.

I'm just not brightsiding.

It feels unamerican.

Aedilred
2017-02-23, 05:51 AM
Okay, new confession - I swore off sugary foods and drinks recently, but just last Friday I had a spoonful of this really good cheesecake. and it was amazing. I would have felt much worse if I didn't eat it, but a sin is still a sin. I had to start from scratch. it sounds harsh but I won't lose weight by being lenient with myself.

I'm not so sure about that. I think one of the most common reasons that diets (and other programmes of self-improvement) fail is that people try to be too strict with themselves, fail, and give up altogether. Obviously, with some things you have to give them up altogether (like tobacco, say) but in most cases I think it's better to moderate than to eliminate. If you enjoy sugary foods (and who doesn't?) cutting them out of your diet altogether and beating yourself up if you eat them is just going to make you miserable and make you hate your diet. Even if you do complete it and reach your ideal weight, chances are that as soon as you no longer have to lose weight you'll go back to eating all the foods you missed so much and before you know it you'll have put the weight back on again.

So you could try to build small quantities of such foods into your diet, and use them as a reward. Had a good week of eating healthily and avoiding sugar? Go ahead and have a guilt-free slice of delicious cheesecake.

Prince Zahn
2017-02-23, 09:35 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I think one of the most common reasons that diets (and other programmes of self-improvement) fail is that people try to be too strict with themselves, fail, and give up altogether. Obviously, with some things you have to give them up altogether (like tobacco, say) but in most cases I think it's better to moderate than to eliminate. If you enjoy sugary foods (and who doesn't?) cutting them out of your diet altogether and beating yourself up if you eat them is just going to make you miserable and make you hate your diet. Even if you do complete it and reach your ideal weight, chances are that as soon as you no longer have to lose weight you'll go back to eating all the foods you missed so much and before you know it you'll have put the weight back on again.

So you could try to build small quantities of such foods into your diet, and use them as a reward. Had a good week of eating healthily and avoiding sugar? Go ahead and have a guilt-free slice of delicious cheesecake.you might have a fair point. On the other hand I don't crave sugar as much as I would have 2 weeks ago (I would finish a big bottle of Nestea per meal without even thinking twice about it). I get by drinking tea(good quality teas) with a spoonful of honey, some milk (which I know both also contain sugar) and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 1 cup in the afternoon can quell my cravings for a good day I think.

The biggest problem is how blunt it feels when I have sugary treats right in front of my face - chocolates, pastries, 3 really good ice cream parlors within walking distance, the list goes on. - and I know that I must refrain from eating it or risk of of reverting to old habits. My nutritionist reassured me that this feeling goes away with time, but so far it has been pretty difficult to ignore.

kyoryu
2017-02-23, 05:28 PM
I still do. (I'm back in the conversation!)

I make them!

Strigon
2017-02-23, 05:37 PM
I make them!

Me, too! I'm an indie developer!
Well, sort of; I haven't made many games.
Okay, I've made one game. But it was a *really* popular game in its time!

Okay, I remade Pong once when I was learning Python...

8BitNinja
2017-02-23, 07:00 PM
Me, too! I'm an indie developer!
Well, sort of; I haven't made many games.
Okay, I've made one game. But it was a *really* popular game in its time!

Okay, I remade Pong once when I was learning Python...

We have the next Shigeru Miyamoto over here!

Velaryon
2017-02-23, 09:48 PM
Most days, I really envy my cat's life.

8BitNinja
2017-02-23, 10:05 PM
Most days, I really envy my cat's life.

That must be one luxurious life for a cat

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 12:09 AM
I'm sorry that I'm mostly AWOL from my PbP games lately.

It's been a very fatiguing week, and even minimally creative writing just takes more energy than my non-sensical ranting posts.

anjxed
2017-02-24, 06:37 AM
Confession: I have never played a table top DnD game before. Only played 1 game for like a few weeks in the PbP forum. And I have been reading this comic for over 12 years now. I get the jokes though. hehe

Prince Zahn
2017-02-24, 08:29 AM
Most days, I really envy my cat's life.I don't blame you :smalltongue: my cat also sleeps all day, eats when he wants, plays when he wants, and gets to treat everyone like dirt. Our nickname for him is "The Pasha". :smalltongue:

Confession: I have never played a table top DnD game before. Only played 1 game for like a few weeks in the PbP forum. And I have been reading this comic for over 12 years now. I get the jokes though. hehe
Hey, even if you know enough to appreciate gamer talk, get psyched about our geeky merchandise, and laugh at our inside jokes, that's STILL better than most people ever will:smallsmile:

anjxed
2017-02-24, 09:08 AM
Hey, even if you know enough to appreciate gamer talk, get psyched about our geeky merchandise, and laugh at our inside jokes, that's STILL better than most people ever will:smallsmile:
Been playing games since I was small so yea I do get the jokes and such.
Sadly, all I can ever get is get psyched. Can't buy merchandse :( I'll be all like "woah cool, wish I had that"

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 09:47 AM
....Sadly, all I can ever get is get psyched. Can't buy merchandse :( I'll be all like "woah cool, wish I had that"

I do buy a lot of RPG merchandise, and since I really don't have time for tabletop anymore, my purchases don't make much sense.

8BitNinja
2017-02-24, 06:51 PM

I started reading the comics before I got into D&D.

Then I play a lot of TRPG games.

A played a lot because a lot were short lived. Three letters: TPK

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-24, 06:53 PM
I play D&D 3.5 three times in my life. The first two were inactive but the third I'm currently playing is very active.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-24, 07:54 PM
I don't feel like I'm being a good friend right now. My best friend just got into a fight at work, and I'm not going to talk to him in person. I mean, I have my reasons, but it feels wrong to just sit here and text when he may lose his job.

Edit:
And no, I'm not worried he's injured. First off, he would have said something. Second, he referred to the other guy as "Twiggy McEatSomething", so I'm guessing it was a real short fight.

Edit 2:
Yeah, the guy hit him and he broke the guy's leg. So, liability may be kinda nasty on that one, but he's not hurt.

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 08:09 PM
I may not be a good friend. My best friend just got into a fight at work, and I'm not going to talk to him in person. I mean, I have my reasons, but it feels wrong to just sit here and text when he may lose his job.

I most definitely am not a good friend.

Many of my friends died in the 1990's (motorcycling), and with my apprenticeship starting during the last year of the Clinton administration working and family took my time.

I no longer have friends, only co-workers and family.

Colleagues and relatives still die, but not as often as friends.

It's easier on the heart.

Bicorn
2017-02-24, 09:10 PM
This thread took a rather dark turn... I will just wait over there now.

2D8HP
2017-02-24, 09:34 PM
This thread took a rather dark turn... I will just wait over there now.

Sorry about that. The work week does make me somber.

This weekend I hope to start reading a book I just picked up (A Conjuring of Light) which was signed by Victoria Schwab the author, maybe listen to some Jimmy Cliff (except "Many Rivers to Cross" which makes me teary), and catch up in PbP.

If someone wants to send me some bottles of NewCastle Brown Ale, I can more quickly get back to non-sensical happy ranting.

Best wishes to you all!

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-24, 10:09 PM
I lost a friend at my old school that I graduated. He died by falling off a building. It was an accident that all my teachers said and it was in a newspaper. I miss my friend. :frown:

Aedilred
2017-02-24, 10:17 PM
I'm fortunate not to have terminally lost any close friends so far. I have lost one or two less close friends, all young (under 22) to suicide or misadventure, which was bad enough.

A good friend of mine did get into a horrific accident a few years back, his survival of and recovery from which was frankly little short of miraculous, and for a while we thought we'd lost him. But I am thankful that is the worst I've had it (touch wood).

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-25, 12:37 PM
I'm fortunate not to have terminally lost any close friends so far. I have lost one or two less close friends, all young (under 22) to suicide or misadventure, which was bad enough.

A good friend of mine did get into a horrific accident a few years back, his survival of and recovery from which was frankly little short of miraculous, and for a while we thought we'd lost him. But I am thankful that is the worst I've had it (touch wood).

Well this is the confession 2 thread and things like this get to be dark and sad every once and awhile. :frown:

Confession: I'm a great dancer. :smile:

8BitNinja
2017-02-25, 09:10 PM
Well this is the confession 2 thread and things like this get to be dark and sad every once and awhile. :frown:

They say the second one in the trilogy is the darkest

2D8HP
2017-02-25, 09:14 PM
They say the second one in the trilogy is the darkest

The Confessions Strike Back?

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-25, 09:37 PM
The Confessions Strike Back?

And the third one will be the Return Of The Confessions.

8BitNinja
2017-02-25, 10:54 PM
And the third one will be the Return Of The Confessions.

Are we having Ewoks in that one?

Because I heard people hate those.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-25, 10:57 PM
I like you.

Are we having Ewoks in that one?

Because I heard people hate those.Yes and I don't hate Ewoks. I think they're cute.

8BitNinja
2017-02-26, 01:52 AM
Yes and I don't hate Ewoks. I think they're cute.

Then be a rebel, like the Ewoks.

Vote pro-ewok today

2D8HP
2017-02-26, 03:44 AM
Confession:

I hated the Ewoks as well.

In fact while I loved Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back, I didn't like The Return of the Jedi, and thought it was a sorry way to end the series.

8BitNinja
2017-02-26, 12:00 PM
Confession:

In fact while I loved Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back, I didn't like The Return of the Jedi, and thought it was a sorry way to end the series.

I hope we can still be friends after this, but

I liked Return of the Jedi

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-26, 12:04 PM
Confession:

It not the end of the series we still have Episode 7 and the upcoming movie Episods 8 and 9.

2D8HP
2017-02-26, 12:27 PM
I hope we can still be friends after this, but

I liked Return of the Jedi

That's cool.

I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome as much as Road Warrior either (but I may be the only audience member who actually liked Conan the Destroyer).

I think I just have a problem with the third movie in a series (except for Goldfinger which I liked better than both Dr. No, and From Russia with Love).

It not the end of the series we still have Episode 7 and the upcoming movie Episods 8 and 9.

That's a common misconception, but in fact they were no other Star Wars movie's after Jedi, "prequels" were never made, just as there has been no pop music recorded after 1992 (I don't remember any!). A Star Trek series with a Captain Archer called "Enterprise"? Never happened. And WotC 3e, 3.5, and 4e D&D? Urban myths, all of them.

Just so were clear.

:amused:

8BitNinja
2017-02-26, 04:04 PM
(but I may be the only audience member who actually liked Conan the Destroyer).

Ah, I remember that movie. The first problem is that it is a PG CONAN MOVIE.

But I thought the movie was funny, as it reminds me of D&D campaigns that my friends have made.

They aren't that good

Aedilred
2017-02-26, 05:04 PM
That's cool.

I didn't like Beyond Thunderdome as much as Road Warrior either...

I don't think anyone did, did they?

I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three. It's obviously complicated by the way that some trilogies even with disappointing third instalments later turn out fourth entries which, compared to the third entry, can be better (Jurassic World, Fury Road) or worse (Terminator: Salvation, Live Free or Die Hard). But viewing such cases as the first three films only...

It's not a popular view, but I think Back to the Future III is marginally better than II. An argument can be made that ... with a Vengeance is better than Die Harder. And all three Lord of the Rings films are very strong to the point it's almost impossible to pick which is the weakest, though I must admit if pushed, I'd probably say The Return of the King was it - the eleven Oscars and the charge of the Rohirrim notwithstanding. None of those examples are clear-cut, and they're the only ones I could think of among film series that were any good at all.

If I were to cheat, and take the first three Bond films as a trilogy, then I would say they increase in quality, with the third (Goldfinger) being the best of the lot. And in fact I'd say that holds true for the rebooted Bond as well (Skyfall being the standout). But that is cheating, since in neither case were those film series ever really a trilogy.

At the other end of the scale I have heard that Transformers: Dark of the Moon was a marginal improvement over Transformers 2. Considering that Transformers2 was at the time I saw it comfortably the worst Hollywood film I'd ever seen, that is not a high bar to clear. But having never subjected myself to Dark of the Moon I can't know for certain whether it was indeed any better or any worse.

Strigon
2017-02-26, 05:23 PM
That's a common misconception, but in fact they were no other Star Wars movie's after Jedi, "prequels" were never made, just as there has been no pop music recorded after 1992 (I don't remember any!). A Star Trek series with a Captain Archer called "Enterprise"? Never happened. And WotC 3e, 3.5, and 4e D&D? Urban myths, all of them.

Just so were clear.

:amused:

As I recall, there were no Matrix sequels, either. (https://xkcd.com/566/)

Edit:

I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three.

How about the prequels? IMO, the third was the best one, but even if someone disagrees, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't the weakest.

But even if we say they don't exist, there's still the original Indiana Jones trilogy, where I will claim until the day I die the weakest link is Temple of Doom.

8BitNinja
2017-02-26, 07:48 PM
But even if we say they don't exist, there's still the original Indiana Jones trilogy, where I will claim until the day I die the weakest link is Temple of Doom.

What about Kingdom of the C*****l S***l?

Aw crap, the government censored me again.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-26, 07:50 PM

Crystal Skull. I reveal it for you. :wink:

8BitNinja
2017-02-26, 07:59 PM
Crystal Skull. I reveal it for you. :wink:

Oh crap, he said the CS words!

Say hello to the FBI in 3...2...1...

Oh, they didn't co-

http://hdwall.us/military/texts-typography-fbi-censored-background-desktop-hd-wallpaper-795059/

Aw man.

Strigon
2017-02-26, 08:20 PM

the original trilogy

Emphasis mine, as they say :smalltongue:
Of course Crystal Skull is the worst, but then it's hardly a trilogy, is it?

Aedilred
2017-02-26, 09:12 PM
As I recall, there were no Matrix sequels, either. (https://xkcd.com/566/)

Edit:

How about the prequels? IMO, the third was the best one, but even if someone disagrees, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't the weakest.

Indy is another debatable one, yeah. It's been a while since I saw any of them but I think I'd probably favour Temple of Doom over The Last Crusade, but it's a close call.

If treating the prequels as a standalone trilogy, then Revenge of the Sith is definitely the least terrible, yes. In fact I'd make the argument that, especially once you moderate for the terrible dialogue and other weak features common to pretty much all Star Wars films, it actually reaches the heady heights of "ok". Unlike its predecessors. I'm not sure to what extent they really can be considered a standalone trilogy, though; that's a tough question not worth the brainpower it would take to answer.

That's the fourth one, and therefore doesn't count as part of the original trilogy.

Strigon
2017-02-26, 09:45 PM
If treating the prequels as a standalone trilogy, then Revenge of the Sith is definitely the least terrible, yes. In fact I'd make the argument that, especially once you moderate for the terrible dialogue and other weak features common to pretty much all Star Wars films, it actually reaches the heady heights of "ok". Unlike its predecessors.

See, I've been blessed with a truly wondrous gift that allows me to more or less base a movie off how I felt about its greatest moment. So for me, the prequels weren't all that bad. I mean, The Phantom Menace was rough; not even I could let its best scene persuade me into liking that movie. But, if I let go of my natural disdain for them as a Star Wars fan, I can comfortably watch Attack of the Clones and even enjoy Revenge of the Sith!

Unfortunately, letting go of my attachment to the name Star Wars is rough for me. I've been very rough on the new canon any time it differed from Legends, even though that was literally the whole point of switching. I'm too attached to my now non-canon books and games to allow the heresy Disney is spewing forth to go unchallenged.
But that's all I'm going to say about that, because any more would inevitably turn into a tirade.

Delicious Taffy
2017-02-27, 04:04 AM
If someone gets annoyed by or isn't interested in a subject, I tend to not talk about it with anyone else afterward, sort of just assuming they'll react the same way.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-27, 04:40 AM
I am ingaged in Moral Kombat with my idiot friend over Amway. And I suspect my advice may have made him their prey. I really don't know what to do. It's a pyramid scheme, but me telling him to try and start his own business probably led him to their doorstep. I want to tell him, but I feel responsible.

Winter_Wolf
2017-02-27, 09:00 AM
I am ingaged in Moral Kombat with my idiot friend over Amway. And I suspect my advice may have made him their prey. I really don't know what to do. It's a pyramid scheme, but me telling him to try and start his own business probably led him to their doorstep. I want to tell him, but I feel responsible.

I feel like I've told the following, but anyway: when I was overseas, I went into a KFC (they're there) and got my whatever. I happened to sit down not to far from an Amway meeting. "Cultish" would be the closest word I can think of the describe their salesperson meeting. I don't know if they were in recruiting phase or if it was a touch base thing, but between the vibe and the actual things being said, I was intensely glad that my spouse had gotten out of that racket.

Assuming your friend doesn't get out you will most certainly need to make a formal declaration, "do not ever talk to me about Amway. Ever." and then also a choice about whether you will continue or terminate your association with your friend when they keep bringing it up anyway. The hell of it was that in China their products are actually pretty good compared with standard local fare; in the US, not so much.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-27, 03:21 PM
Why are you even friends with him anyway? :annoyed:

8BitNinja
2017-02-27, 06:02 PM
Indy is another debatable one, yeah. It's been a while since I saw any of them but I think I'd probably favour Temple of Doom over The Last Crusade, but it's a close call.

My mom firmly believes that Spielberg should have stopped after Raiders.

2D8HP
2017-02-27, 07:08 PM
My mom firmly believes that Spielberg should have stopped after Raiders.

Should?

Well at least George Lucas did some good Television episodes of

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles)

I thought that some of the Great War episodes were particularly good.

It's too bad that no more Indiana Jones or Star Wars feature films were made, but maybe its for the best, in case they had been made and were disappointing.

8BitNinja
2017-02-27, 07:44 PM
Should?

Well at least George Lucas did some good Television episodes of

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles)

I thought that some of the Great War episodes were particularly good.

It's too bad that no more Indiana Jones or Star Wars feature films were made, but maybe its for the best, in case they had been made and were disappointing.

I didn't know that this existed. I better tell my mom that there is more than just one set of three movies.

2D8HP
2017-02-27, 07:47 PM
I didn't know that this existed. I better tell my mom that there is more than just one set of three movies.

*Fingers in ears*

La-la-la-la, no Indiana movies after Raiders!

8BitNinja
2017-02-27, 08:42 PM
*Fingers in ears*

La-la-la-la, no Indiana movies after Raiders!

What have I done? This is at least the fourth time I started something.

I should start calling these moments, The 8BitNinja Crusades.

Aedilred
2017-02-27, 09:00 PM
I know that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't as good as Raiders, but denying their existence seems extreme even by disappointing-series-instalment-ignoring standards.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-27, 09:16 PM
I know that Temple of Doom and Last Crusade weren't as good as Raiders, but denying their existence seems extreme even by disappointing-series-instalment-ignoring standards.
Confession: I like all Indiana Jones movies. :smile:

8BitNinja
2017-02-27, 10:43 PM

Like I said, it wasn't me who said it, it was my mom.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-28, 09:21 AM
I'm the most smartest member in this forum. :smile:

lylsyly
2017-02-28, 10:37 AM

Doh........ :smallbiggrin:

Aedilred
2017-02-28, 11:13 AM

That's not really a confession so much as a boast.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-28, 11:26 AM

It is? OK how about this confession: I'm arrogant. :biggrin:

8BitNinja
2017-02-28, 06:11 PM
My biggest fear on the internet is that someone will mistake me for a child.

2D8HP
2017-02-28, 06:15 PM
My biggest fear on the internet.... .

My biggest fear on the internet already happened.

I bought a textbook, and afterwards my credit card apparently travelled without me to among other places Dubai and made purchases.

Bartmanhomer
2017-02-28, 06:17 PM
My biggest fear on the internet is that someone will mistake me for a child.

I thought that you're completely immune to fear. :confused:

Avianmosquito
2017-02-28, 06:19 PM
Most of my setting's languages are just real-world languages with a different name, and I haven't made even ONE of the conlangs yet because I'm lazy.

8BitNinja
2017-02-28, 06:34 PM
I thought that you're completely immune to fear. :confused:

Immune to the effects, I still feel caution and have common sense.

Knaight
2017-02-28, 06:35 PM
My confession:

The best part is when the term "obviously" is used in textbooks to do something like gloss over a page of math. No, Quantum Chemistry textbook, that was not actually obvious.

The term I'd use is "lie", although I'd settle for "textbook illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect".

2D8HP
2017-02-28, 06:39 PM
Most of my setting's languages are just real-world languages with a different name, and I haven't made even ONE of the conlangs yet because I'm lazy.

Languages?

¿Quien Es Mas Macho?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xGuW9srwR3I/Trmu8UAIfdI/AAAAAAAAA8A/6CyqFp0CA9g/s280/right.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZhHyQp0f9xA/Trmu7qWEYCI/AAAAAAAAA7w/zs5ZtaUyh2U/s280/answer.jpg

8BitNinja
2017-02-28, 07:29 PM
The best part is when the term "obviously" is used in textbooks to do something like gloss over a page of math. No, Quantum Chemistry textbook, that was not actually obvious.

Yeah, people learning rocket science. How did you not know the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation before you took the class? A kindergartner knows what that is.

Delicious Taffy
2017-03-03, 08:28 AM
Four years ago, I nearly decided against a second date with my current girlfriend when I found out she was religious.

Strigon
2017-03-03, 11:54 AM
I am extremely self-conscious about my taste in music, because it's rubbish.
When I say it's rubbish, though, what I mean is that I don't have any. It seems to be a case of "does it have a tune or melody I can follow? If so, I like it." And I know many "crap" bands that I enjoy listening to.

Which has made me think most of the songs I enjoy listening to are generally disliked, which in turn gets me very confused whenever someone references the song because I can't tell if they're being sarcastic or if it's genuinely a popular song.

8BitNinja
2017-03-03, 06:27 PM
I am extremely self-conscious about my taste in music, because it's rubbish.
When I say it's rubbish, though, what I mean is that I don't have any. It seems to be a case of "does it have a tune or melody I can follow? If so, I like it." And I know many "crap" bands that I enjoy listening to.

Which has made me think most of the songs I enjoy listening to are generally disliked, which in turn gets me very confused whenever someone references the song because I can't tell if they're being sarcastic or if it's genuinely a popular song.

"Good" and "Bad" music are all matters of opinion. If you want to listen to some auto tuned canned music, go ahead. It's a trivial subject matter.

Razade
2017-03-03, 06:32 PM
"Good" and "Bad" music are all matters of opinion. If you want to listen to some auto tuned canned music, go ahead. It's a trivial subject matter.

The vast majority of music going back as far as the 50's is auto-tuned. You don't understand what that term means.

8BitNinja
2017-03-03, 07:15 PM
The vast majority of music going back as far as the 50's is auto-tuned. You don't understand what that term means.

I never claimed to be a musical genius. I was just saying that you can listen to whatever you want to. Also, I was using the term "auto tune" how it is commonly used today. Yes, auto tune existed in the 50s, but no one then used T-Pain level modifications on their music. I have nothing against you if you like that kind of music, it's just a fact.

Spanish_Paladin
2017-03-03, 07:33 PM
I am a Starco shipper :smallredface:

8BitNinja
2017-03-05, 12:04 AM
Confession:

:furious:
If you get me angry, I WILL TOTALLY GET MEDIEVAL ON YOU!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G39Rapv4IOA/VIaBx-rWM6I/AAAAAAAAA5Y/PrUQD58Tuso/s1600/SteveNLuisePerrin.jpg

(No, not really)

Is that you? Wow, you look a lot younger than I imagined :smallbiggrin:

2D8HP
2017-03-05, 04:44 AM
Is that you? Wow, you look a lot younger than I imagined :smallbiggrin:

I will neither confirm or deny (to use the words of my old Union Local's Vice President) the identity of the people in the photo, but I'll tell you this; It was likely taken decades before your birth.

8BitNinja
2017-03-05, 01:48 PM
I will neither confirm or deny (to use the words of my old Union Local's Vice President) the identity of the people in the photo, but I'll tell you this; It was likely taken decades before your birth.

That's a given, they're wearing 13th century clothing :smallbiggrin:

lylsyly
2017-03-05, 02:25 PM
LOL,

I must confess, I just rolled up the best set of Ability Scores ever (and I been doing this since '75). Granted we use 10+1d8 but ...

(the order I rolled them) = 15, 14, 15, 18, 18, 18 ... WOW!!!

When I come to my senses again I'll figure out what I want to do with it ;)

Avianmosquito
2017-03-05, 06:56 PM
I confess I spent most of my last shift on this site. Then again, it was stocking day and we had few customers and less work.

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-06, 12:26 PM
I can be forgetful sometimes.

8BitNinja
2017-03-06, 06:01 PM
I have two arms and two legs

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-06, 06:06 PM
I have two arms and two legs

So does billions of people in this entire planet. :smile:

Velaryon
2017-03-06, 07:48 PM
I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three.

How about the Evil Dead trilogy? I would argue that Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness were both far better than the first film.

Someone else already mentioned Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which I loved as a child, but definitely seems weakest of the first three to my adult self.

Not everyone will agree, but even though Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome really didn't live up to The Road Warrior, I thought it was still better than the original Mad Max.

2D8HP
2017-03-06, 08:27 PM
...I'm trying to think of any exception to the rule that the third instalment in a trilogy is the weakest of the three..

Rocket to Russia was better than both Ramones, and Leave Home.

Oh wait, those are albums not films.

Velaryon
2017-03-07, 02:33 AM

Prince Zahn
2017-03-07, 07:32 AM
I am a Starco shipper :smallredface:

You are in good company, my friend.:smalltongue::smallwink:

Aedilred
2017-03-07, 12:33 PM
Rocket to Russia was better than both Ramones, and Leave Home.

Oh wait, those are albums not films.

Oh yeah it doesn't hold up with albums at all. In fact I think artists successful enough to put out multiple albums often improve across their first three, if anything.

Winter_Wolf
2017-03-07, 01:46 PM

I see what you did there.

My confession:
Yep, I actually spent the time going back to find the first time you said that. In this iteration of the thread.

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-07, 02:29 PM
I don't like change.

Strigon
2017-03-07, 03:00 PM
I don't like change.

Yeah, I'm partial to larger denominations, myself. Except loonies and toonies; they're cool!
Actually, come to think of it, I quite like quarters, too. And dimes. And nickels; they might be a bit bland, but I'm a fan of the beaver. Pennies used to be irritating, but now that they're out of circulation I have a kind of nostalgic respect for them.
I take it back, change is awesome!

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-07, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I'm partial to larger denominations, myself. Except loonies and toonies; they're cool!
Actually, come to think of it, I quite like quarters, too. And dimes. And nickels; they might be a bit bland, but I'm a fan of the beaver. Pennies used to be irritating, but now that they're out of circulation I have a kind of nostalgic respect for them.
I take it back, change is awesome!
I don't mean that type of change. I mean change to move one place to another.

Strigon
2017-03-07, 03:34 PM
I don't mean that type of change. I mean change to move one place to another.

I know what you meant; that's why I used blue text to indicate sarcasm.

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-07, 03:36 PM
I know what you meant; that's why I used blue text to indicate sarcasm.OK good. Another confession: I believe in ghost.

8BitNinja
2017-03-07, 06:36 PM
I know what you meant; that's why I used blue text to indicate sarcasm.

I think that bartman might not know about colored text meaning.

danzibr
2017-03-07, 09:24 PM
I confess that sometimes I forget my ex-wife's birthday... And my daughter's. And mine, for that matter.
My wife and her brother have similar birthdays, May 16th and 21st. My wife said when she was young and people asked her what her birthday was, she'd respond May 16th 21st. The other day I thought hers was the 21st and not the 16th :P

LughSpear
2017-03-08, 01:39 PM
OK good. Another confession: I believe in ghost.

Like... One ghost? One in particular or just the direwolf? :p

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-08, 02:14 PM
Like... One ghost? One in particular or just the direwolf? :p

One in particular. I saw my mother ghost at one point. By the way, This is the sixth anniversary of my mother death this month. :frown:

LughSpear
2017-03-08, 02:24 PM
One in particular. I saw my mother ghost at one point. By the way, This is the sixth anniversary of my mother death this month. :frown:

Wow, sorry to hear that. Have you considered seeking an exorcist?

Confession: People who share too much of their lives make me uncomfortable.

Bartmanhomer
2017-03-08, 03:38 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Have you considered seeking an exorcist?

First off, she's not in possession. Second, she's crossed over. Third, I don't need an exorcist if my mother ghost crossed over.

8BitNinja
2017-03-08, 05:57 PM

I guess it's a better time than ever to tell you that you've come to the wrong place.

Velaryon
2017-03-09, 01:00 AM
I see what you did there.

My confession:
Yep, I actually spent the time going back to find the first time you said that. In this iteration of the thread.

I appreciate the effort. If no one said anything, I would most likely have done it again in a week or so. :smallcool: