PDA

View Full Version : what the...?

nijineko
2007-07-21, 12:36 PM
hi, i'm nijineko. was just reading the ninja campaign story (quite humorous, btw)(found here (http://www.giantitp.com/camp0001.html)) =D and noticed an unusual name. i was wondering how that character name was derived. anyone know?

nice to meet all of you, as well!

(out of curiosity, why is this section of the website not reachable from other sections-as in no link?)

edit: oh yeah! the character name i was interested in is 'daverick'. might help you all to know. *^^*

ForzaFiori
2007-07-21, 12:52 PM
i bet it was a combination of the names "Dave" and "Rick"

averagejoe
2007-07-21, 12:56 PM
I could have sworn that someone in one of the Bauldur's Gate games was named Daverick. Hmmmmmm...

AslanCross
2007-07-21, 04:46 PM
Not sure about Baldur's Gate (I only played BG2:SoA), but Neverwinter Nights 2 definitely has a Tavorick.

nijineko
2007-07-26, 08:36 PM
i did a quick search and did find someone with that name. interesting! wonder who that is now. ^^

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-27, 02:00 AM
(out of curiosity, why is this section of the website not reachable from other sections-as in no link?)I think the answer to that question is that you're looking at a very old iteration of the website.

Castaras
2007-07-27, 05:16 AM
i bet it was a combination of the names "Dave" and "Rick"

Noooooooo! Really?!

Wow, you learn something new everyday!

[/sarcasm]

Oh yes, and the obligatory CHEDDER! for that dare that I still have...3 posts left to say it in.

Gygaxphobia
2007-07-27, 06:19 AM
That's a pretty poor example of sarcasm, seriously poor. I might excuse it if it was obviously true and required mockery, but it's not necessarily the case at all.

Castaras
2007-07-27, 06:29 AM
That's a pretty poor example of sarcasm, seriously poor. I might excuse it if it was obviously true and required mockery, but it's not necessarily the case at all.

I know.

But it had to be said.

@V Eh. Firefox spellchecker didn't make it show up...Hmm...

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 06:42 AM
Oh yes, and the obligatory CHEDDER! for that dare that I still have...3 posts left to say it in.

You got dared to misspell cheddar in your posts? How wierd!

IkkiTM: Raising the sarcasm quality for all and sundry since 1979.

Lord Herman
2007-07-27, 07:07 AM

That's because 'chedder' does exist. A chedder is someone who cheds.

Charity
2007-07-27, 07:21 AM
That's because 'chedder' does exist. A chedder is someone who cheds.

Are you entertaining shoemakers? (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cobblers)

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 07:30 AM

You youngsters with yer spellcheckers and calculators and such. In my day you had to know how to SPELL yer cheeses, and add up the prices and...grumble grumble

InaVegt
2007-07-27, 07:46 AM
You youngsters with yer spellcheckers and calculators and such. In my day you had to know how to SPELL yer cheeses, and add up the prices and...grumble grumble

In my day you had to make yer own cheese if you wanted one of these so called "Exotic" cheeses, you could only get standard cheese, and even those could only be gotten once a year, at the cheese market.

*grumble* people not from the middle ages *grumble*

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 07:47 AM

yes well i prefer my pounds POST decimal thank you very much Ikki :smallwink:

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:00 AM
In my day you had to make yer own cheese if you wanted one of these so called "Exotic" cheeses, you could only get standard cheese, and even those could only be gotten once a year, at the cheese market.

*grumble* people not from the middle ages *grumble*

Well when I were a lad you had to walk to the cheese market, uphill. Both ways! Took 3 days, and by the time you got there all that was left were some old stinkin' gouda brought over by someone forren. I tells yer, don't know yer born these days...

(I'm sure this is from a sketch somewhere - Mary Whitehouse Experience maybe? Anyone?)

Castaras
2007-07-27, 08:01 AM

I can't help it if I can't spell! It's the mutant space gerbil's fault, I keep telling you! :smalltongue:

I'll remember it for next time, thanks muchly.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:23 AM
I can't help it if I can't spell! It's the mutant space gerbil's fault, I keep telling you! :smalltongue:

Didn't have those in my day either. Damned mutant space gerbils...

Charity
2007-07-27, 08:25 AM
(I'm sure this is from a sketch somewhere - Mary Whitehouse Experience maybe? Anyone?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/s/secretpolicemans_7770270.shtml

I'm suprised the cheese reference didn't make that connection for you.

Course when I were a lad our dad would beat us to death every night, then we'd get up work a 25 hour shift, crawl on our bellies over broken glass for 40 mile to get to the cheese shop, for a sniff of the waste bin that the cheese wrappers were thrown in. Then we'd be ridden back home, over broken glass by the cheese shop proprioter so he can help our dad torture us to death every day for a week, only to have to get up three hours before we went to bed to start it all over again... tell that to the kids today and they don't believe you.

Wiki Ikki? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Yorkshiremen_sketch)

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:31 AM
http://www.subway-sg.com/COOKIE.gif

*Hands to Charity*

Charity
2007-07-27, 08:33 AM
Ta muchly

Extra credit (http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm)

Castaras
2007-07-27, 08:35 AM
Didn't have those in my day either. Damned mutant space gerbils...

Lucky. They keep controlling my every posting move...it's unfair, I tell you.

Oh wait...I sense a dare being fufilled...I sense the mutant space gerbils who controlled my posting up to now fading away...

0! Dare done!

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 08:36 AM

the more i think of it the more i'm convinced it was a Monty Python sketch...

but i can't find it on YouTube....

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:39 AM
Chaz found the script a few posts up man. Made me laugh :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 08:39 AM
Gorram it C.

i've been looking for hours for that. manually looking through every page of the internet twice... but in my days the internet was bigger and it used to take ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNGhcdtMbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY&mode=related&search=

Charity
2007-07-27, 08:40 AM
the more i think of it the more i'm convinced it was a Monty Python sketch...

but i can't find it on YouTube....

*Ahem*

Ta muchly

Extra credit (http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm)

Youngsters today and their Utube, don't know their born...

In my day they used to laser the information directly into our retina, melting our eyes into soup, which is all we'd have to eat for a year...

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:42 AM
Gorram it C.

i've been looking for hours for that manually looking through every page of the internet twice but in my days the internet was bigger and it used to take ......

He he, very good.

Castaras
2007-07-27, 08:46 AM
Ye gods!

* Casts dispel old grumpy fogies *

Charity
2007-07-27, 08:46 AM
Arrrggh I'm melting....

Archonic Energy
2007-07-27, 08:51 AM
*waits for mods to beat us back onto topic with a rusty broken bottle*

Ikkitosen
2007-07-27, 08:58 AM
Ye gods!

* Casts dispel old grumpy fogies *

Ring of Counterspells! Hah! Don't worry fogies, I've got you covered (provided she can't cast it, say, twice).

[on topic] Daveric was a part of The Giant's original IRL gaming group [/on topic]

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-27, 08:59 AM
Yeah, this really has turned into random banter.

I've heard Daverick used as a real and fantasy name a number of times, but I have no idea where it's etymology lies, myself. Do we have any etymologists in the playground?

SurlySeraph
2007-07-27, 06:20 PM
Well Saithis, when I was your age, I had to work as an etymologist twenty hours a day, under the floorboards of the local college, and when I couldn't tell the professor the origins of the word his students were asking about fast enough, he'd set the floor on fire as punishment, and make me rebuild it without tools or nails or wood the next day. And I was grateful.

I think "Dave" (Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד" (dvd)" meaning "beloved".) + "Rick" (probably from the the Germanic "ric," meaning "power, rule") is probably it. So, "beloved power?" Sounds a bit megalomaniacal.

nijineko
2007-08-21, 06:41 PM
typically it's translated as 'beloved king', instead of beloved power. depends on which branch of old "english" one climbs up. ^^

so far i've tracked down 4, possibly 5, people who have that name in real life. one's a surfer boy in florida, another is a tai-chi master, one graduated from some college in texas, and one appears to be living like a gypsy-judging from the number of places that one moves to. the fifth isn't firm enough yet to mention.

Cruxador
2007-08-21, 08:38 PM
The Hebrew word for 'beloved' is 'DVD'? thats... worth thinking about, I guess.