PDA

View Full Version : Bard Assassin Build - Please Help

Nataris
2017-02-03, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a new DnD player and am trying to figure out how to best make a Bard Assassin.

The character backstory, in short, is that he is a traveling Halfling that is very boisterous and jovial on the outside while being a deadly killer in the shadows.

I would like to be able to do the traditional Bard stuff with option of maybe sneak attacking too. Being confident at magic, bow and sneak attack style melee.

Can anyone help me? I don't need a full min/max or anything. Just something that isn't gimped that fits the above description. I'm not even sure where to begin. Thanks all.

Specter
2017-02-03, 11:30 AM
Not optimized, but it could work.

Use your spells to buff yourself (Enhance Ability, Longstrider, etc.) and to get around town (Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, etc.).

Go Assassin 3/Lore Bard X. With your first Magical Secrets, grab Pass Without Trace and another damaging spell for weapons (like Blinding Smite or Hex).

Smite + Sneak Attack + Surprise = uber damage when you need it.

Pass Without Trace + Expertise in Stealth = never being found.

JellyPooga
2017-02-03, 11:44 AM
I'd just stick with straight Lore Bard.

There are very few builds that don't really benefit from 1-5 levels of Rogue, but Bards are one of them.
Expertise? You've got it.
Skill diversity? You've got it.
Extra damage? Spells do it better...but only if you maintain your "caster level", which Rogue will detract from.

Compare a Lore Bard 6 to a Lore Bard 3/Assassin 3...the latter deals +2d6 damage per hit, sure, but the latter has it's choice of any two 3rd level spells in the game; Fireball? Too overt for an assassin, perhaps. Meld into Stone? Very sneaky. Gaseous Form? Who needs lockpicks? Fly? Haste? Dispel Magic? Nondetection?

As Specter says, you can even pick up Smite spells for single target burst damage, which is all an assassin (in theory) needs...

Nataris
2017-02-03, 11:49 AM
Hmmm. Thanks for the thoughts thus far.

Seems like Lore could work but would I benefit maybe from a lvl or 2 in fighter perhaps? Action Surge, second wind and fighting style seems like it could compliment what the lore bard is missing. Which is a bit more umph in melee or archery.

Thoughts?

JellyPooga
2017-02-03, 12:11 PM

Seems like Lore could work but would I benefit maybe from a lvl or 2 in fighter perhaps? Action Surge, second wind and fighting style seems like it could compliment what the lore bard is missing. Which is a bit more umph in melee or archery.

Thoughts?

It depends on what you're looking for. The Bard doesn't really shine as a solo character until later levels. He's much more of a team player out-of-the-box. Adding a little solo-power with Fighter or Rogue is nice in the short term, but really doesn't add much in the long term and can even detract from the Bards real strengths; it's versatility and "team spirit".

So the first two questions are; what level are you starting and what level do you expect to play until?

The third question is; what do you want out of Bard? Just because your character is "jovial", doesn't mean they have to be a Bard! A Way of Shadows Monk can be just as jovial as any Bard, but makes for a much more deadly killer-in-the-dark compared to the Bard who is better at being a cheerleader-in-the-dark, so to speak.

Specter
2017-02-03, 12:19 PM

Thoughts?

That's too much.

Bard/Fighter, Bard/Rogue and even full Arcane Trickster could work, but 3 classes is too much delay in progression.

gfishfunk
2017-02-03, 12:31 PM
Different prospective:

Go straight rogue with a Performer background, and take the Trickster progression. IF you want some magical bardness, take the Magic Initiate feat at lvl 4, or grab a level or two of bard after 4 of rogue.

You can get a lot of the bard flavor using the Performer background.

Nataris
2017-02-03, 01:11 PM
That's too much.

Bard/Fighter, Bard/Rogue and even full Arcane Trickster could work, but 3 classes is too much delay in progression.

Sorry for not being clesr, I meant fighter instead of rogue. So it would be bard with a fighter dip.

Specter
2017-02-03, 01:23 PM
Sorry for not being clesr, I meant fighter instead of rogue. So it would be bard with a fighter dip.

Well, sure. Fighter 5/Lore Bard X or Fighter 2/Valor Bard X are all good. It's just that when I think of "Assassin", I think of surprise damage, and for that rogue is better than fighter. If you can get ahold of Lightning Arrow and Action Surge, your attack routine with a bow can go far.

NecroDancer
2017-02-03, 02:26 PM
Check out the college of whispers

Lawful Good
2017-02-04, 12:24 AM
Check out the college of whispers

I would reccomend this. It seems it was tailored for your character.

On the flip side, you could go for the whole "unsubtle assassin" thing and kill people with lutes.

retaliation08
2017-02-04, 01:02 AM
Different prospective:

Go straight rogue with a Performer background, and take the Trickster progression. IF you want some magical bardness, take the Magic Initiate feat at lvl 4, or grab a level or two of bard after 4 of rogue.

You can get a lot of the bard flavor using the Performer background.

I second this opinion. You could start with the magic initiate feat (would need to be variant human) your character could easily play himself off as a Bard for a couple levels until you start getting spells as an Arcane Trickster. If you are really set on the single target damage, this is the way i would go if your character story permits it. Being a bard/performer is easily fluffed if all you really want is sneak attack.

Christian
2017-02-04, 09:36 AM
I would reccomend this. It seems it was tailored for your character.

On the flip side, you could go for the whole "unsubtle assassin" thing and kill people with lutes.

Actually, that's not necessarily ...

Dang. Why are there no garrote rules in 5E? That would be awesome.

"Ready to play your next set, Blango?"

"Hold on, I broke my E string right before the intermission, and I haven't replaced it yet."

[From the balcony]"AAAAAHHH! Someone's killed Lord Fancypants!"

"What? How?!"

"Strangled from behind with a thin cord, it seems."

"Oh, dear. I suppose the rest of my concert will have to be canceled, then. Well, my condolences, I'm off!"

Citan
2017-02-08, 02:30 AM
Hello everyone. I'm a new DnD player and am trying to figure out how to best make a Bard Assassin.

The character backstory, in short, is that he is a traveling Halfling that is very boisterous and jovial on the outside while being a deadly killer in the shadows.

I would like to be able to do the traditional Bard stuff with option of maybe sneak attacking too. Being confident at magic, bow and sneak attack style melee.

Can anyone help me? I don't need a full min/max or anything. Just something that isn't gimped that fits the above description. I'm not even sure where to begin. Thanks all.

I'm not aware of College of Whispers, so my advice would be only on your multiclass suggestion.
But it could work very well.
You have two ways to go at it.

1. Bard with a "Assassin background"
Rogue 3-5, Bard 15-17.
This one would just be a Bard that happens to be extra good at surprising people (and extra good defensively if up to Uncanny Dodge).
You could go either Valor Bard with a shield and Shield Master, or Lore Bard.

2. Assassin Gish
Assassin 13 / Bard 7.
You get almost all interesting features from the Assassin archetype, a great bunch of skill/defensive features as well.
I'd complete with Lore Bard so you can pick up 2 extra spells, but Valor Bard for Extra Attack is also a good choice.
To complement your Rogue skills, take Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Comprehend Languages, Sleep, Enhance Ability, Invisibility, Silence, Detect Magic, Dispel Magic, Warding Wind, Greater Invisibility and Polymorph.
Use Magic Secrets on Fly, Haste, Mirror Image, weapon cantrips, Command, or Bless.

You will end as a VERY potent character, able to virtually infiltrate any place and replay anyone in your campaign.
Should be fun. :)