PDA

View Full Version : List of bonus action spells

Specter
2017-02-03, 11:46 AM
Just did this for my own consultation, and thought the community could benefit from it. Lemme know if anything's missing.

CANTRIPS
Magic Stone
Shillelagh

LEVEL 1
Compelled Duel
Divine Favor
Ensnaring Strike
Expeditious Retreat
Hail of Thorns
Healing Word
Hex
Hunter's Mark
Jump
Sanctuary
Searing Smite
Shield of Faith
Thunderous Smite
Wrathful Smite

LEVEL 2
Branding Smite
Flame Blade
Magic Weapon
Misty Step
Spiritual Weapon

LEVEL 3
Blinding Smite
Lightning Arrow
Mass Healing Word

LEVEL 4
Grasping Vine
Staggering Smite

LEVEL 5
Banishing Smite
Swift Quiver

LEVEL 7
Divine Word

Paeleus
2017-02-03, 11:57 AM
Not sure if you intentionally omitted cantrips, but

Magic Stone
Shillelagh

And I'm not sure that Command is a bonus action spell.

http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/ can do all the leg work for you.

Foxhound438
2017-02-03, 12:12 PM
command and jump are 1 action, everything else looks good.

Funny how many are "smite" spells. Even hail of thorns, ensnaring strike, and lightning arrow follow kind of the same format.

Wondermndjr
2017-02-03, 12:20 PM
Divine Word (7th) and Hex (1st) are bonus actions. AFB but I'm reasonably certain.

DizzyWood
2017-02-03, 12:42 PM
So how do bonus action spells work? Can I attack and cast one? Can I cast a regular spell then a bonus action spell?

The reason I do not know this is we do not allow them. The sorcerer is the only one who can multicast so I was curious!

FunSize
2017-02-03, 12:47 PM
So how do bonus action spells work? Can I attack and cast one? Can I cast a regular spell then a bonus action spell?

The reason I do not know this is we do not allow them. The sorcerer is the only one who can multicast so I was curious!

Stated in the PHB, if you cast a spell as a bonus action, you cannot cast another spell that turn unless it's a Cantrip with a casting time of one action.

Specter
2017-02-03, 01:01 PM
Fixed things.

Why the heck would anyone ban bonus spells? Must be sad being a ranger or a warlock in your group.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-03, 01:34 PM
Why the heck would anyone ban bonus spells? Must be sad being a ranger or a warlock in your group.

That's one table I'd walk away from in a heartbeat. Plenty of other DM's can run 5E without ruining everyone's fun.

DizzyWood
2017-02-03, 01:37 PM
Fixed things.

There are none playing lol. And its not that we banned them per say... I was being abrupt. We just have a really shortened and streamlined form of combat. Since we are all such talkers one persons turn can last 20 min if we don't keep on task. So we all say and action and if we are moving. Im a sorcerer so I can twin pally extra attacks ect!!! Then we all roll DM rolls and tells us what happened.
We just don't get to fancy lol

DizzyWood
2017-02-03, 01:40 PM
That's one table I'd walk away from in a heartbeat. Plenty of other DM's can run 5E without ruining everyone's fun.

It isn't the DM per say... We just have agreed to keep the combat portions on a tight on track schedule. We have been known to over roll play a single attack. Or get into a side convo and forget we are in the middle of saving the world! So combat is really really streamlined... we all have more fun with the social and RP stuff!!!

Zanthy1
2017-02-03, 01:45 PM
Thanks for doing this, it really helps

Dalebert
2017-02-03, 03:30 PM
It isn't the DM per say... We just have agreed to keep the combat portions on a tight on track schedule. We have been known to over roll play a single attack. Or get into a side convo and forget we are in the middle of saving the world! So combat is really really streamlined... we all have more fun with the social and RP stuff!!!

Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm a big fan of keeping a good pace of a game. I don't think bonus action spells are the problem though. Whenever I'm doing that, it's for a reason, like I want to disengage or cast a cantrip. the important thing is I know everything I'm planning to do and I'm ready to do them when my turn comes up. No reason to not allow that unless you're also not allowing rogues to use cunning action and now we're just getting into crazy talk. :)

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-03, 10:08 PM
You forgot Shillelagh (cantrip)
Hex - 1st lvl

I find it interesting that most of the bonus action spells are Paladin or Ranger, allowing them to use the combat ability and still attack.

Also, there are many spells that take an action to cast, but a bonus action to use each turn (i.e. Mordenkainen's Sword, Bigby's Hand, etcetera)

So, depending on the purpose, it might be worth knowing those too. I doubt anyone cares about the bonus action spells available to all classes however, more likely they'd want to know one particular classes choices, same thing with rituals.

Desamir
2017-02-03, 10:50 PM
Jump

Surprisingly, Jump requires an action. I had to look it up again to be sure.

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-04, 12:31 AM
Im a sorcerer so I can twin pally extra attacks ect!!!

...How is that supposed to work?