PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock/Sorcerer

RoutineInsanity
2017-02-03, 03:40 PM
I know this is a fairly common trend, but I'm asking for some help with this build. I primarily play a Warlock (because that's what I have the most fun with) but this imposes a major disadvantage against most of the enemies that our DM throws at us. In our last game (2nd session) it was against 13 Shadows, and 2 of the 7 member party was dead before initiative was rolled....because SOMEHOW two rangers rolling multiple NAT20s on perception checks, and me with Devil Vision (admittedly rolling like total poodoo) couldn't spot these things....we all died of strength drain. But even if I had made it to actual combat, I couldn't have done anything as a 5th level Warlock because of the Attacks of Opportunity I would have suffered when I tried to cast any of my spells (I was surrounded by 6 of them...so 6 free attacks from them).

So after this little kerfuffle, I decided that I needed to branch out, and since I can't stand martial characters (don't know why, just don't have fun with them) I looked at the other spell casters. Now if I can get to Warlock 3/Sorcerer 3, could I use Subtle Magic to avoid the Opportunity Attacks from close range enemies?

Or incase I'm missing something with the Feats, is there one that allows me to cast a spell on someone really close without giving them the free attack?

Rysto
2017-02-03, 03:44 PM
Casting a spell never causes an AoO. Your DM had incorrectly applied a 3.5 rule to 5e.

Armok
2017-02-03, 03:51 PM
This sounds like less of a problem with your class, and more of a problem with your DM. Shadows may only be CR 1/2, but their strength drain is a serious threat that can quickly kill a character if they're ganging up on them. And 13 of them against a full party of level 5s... still sounds a bit overkill, especially if they're using swarm and kill tactics. Granted, a cleric can handle them nice and tidily, but that assumes you have one. Honestly I think the DM went a little overkill.

Also, if you're that concerned with being surrounded, you need to make sure you always have a solid defensive option like misty step, mirror image or protection from evil at hand. If by level 5 you hadn't invested in a single one of those defensive spells... that's kind of on you.

Master O'Laughs
2017-02-03, 03:55 PM
Yeah, Casting a ranged spell attack only incurs disadvantage on the roll if an enemy is within 5' of you. A spell like sacred flame has no disadvantages being cast in melee.

Captain Morgan
2017-02-03, 05:10 PM
Yeah man, sorc isn't what you need here. You just gotta learn those casting rules. And pick up something defensive, and/or an AoE you can release from yourself like Arms of Hadar or Thunderwave.

RSP
2017-02-03, 06:43 PM
All the above posts on AoO and these two clarifications as well:

1) Everyone rolls initiative at the start of combat. There is no "surprise round" in 5e so I'm not sure why anyone was dead before rolling initiative. Double check that your DM is aware how surprise works in this edition.

2) What was the situation when the Shadows were stealthing up to your group? If your group had a light source, then there's shadows so it is possible the Shadows could have crept up on you (and I'm assuming from your post of 2 characters rolling bat 20s that no one was disadvantaged from Dim Lighting). However, if there wasn't a light source and everything is in total darkness, Devils Sight really should have exposed any Shadows sneaking about (though this falls completely under DM adjudication as the rules for hiding explicitly state they are DM fiat), with how the RAI are meant to work. That is: Shadows have no special features that allow them to hide, just a decent mod to Stealth checks, and the rules for hiding state a creature cannot hide if clearly seen. Devils Sight + total darkness = nowhere for the Shadows to hide and therefore would be treated just like a visible humanoid sneaking: no cover = no stealth = "there they are!"

I'd second making sure the DM is aware of the AoO, lighting and hiding rules.