PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help building a Hussar Warlord

Blackhawk748
2017-02-03, 05:00 PM
Hello, im applying to a game on the forums here and id like some help building my character as i don't have the most experience with PF. My plan is to make a Hussar Warlord focusing on Piercing Thunder and Solar Wind from horseback using a bow and a lance, and my character will be a Beastblood Tiefling.

Build restrictions:
Starting at 1st level
1st party Paizo material only as well as: PoW, PoW:E, and Ultimate Psionics
25 PB
Max HP at first and all levels
2 Traits
Max starting gold for your class

Heres my build so far:

Beastblood Tiefling Hussar Warlord
Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con:14
Int:13
Wis:10
Cha:16

Skills: Acrobatics, Diplomacy, Perception, Ride, Survival

Feats
1st Mounted Archery or Point Blank Shot, Mounted Combat(b)

Tuvarkz
2017-02-03, 05:52 PM
-Is your DM allowing Tiefling Pass for Human to qualify for Human Racial FCBs? The Hussar trading all bonus feats away, having 3 more feats would be fantastic
-Don't use Mounted Archery, you won't really ever need your mount to double move or run in most scenarios while attacking from range. Take Point-Blank shot and Precise Shot at 3
-If your DM allows it, use the Shissah Horse from the Qadira player companion, it's overall a better variant.
-You'll want a discipline that can work with both ranged and melee attacks as third discipline-strongly reccomend Elemental Flux for fire damage synergy, and to qualify for Elemental Focus.
-Traits: Fate's Favored, Unorthodox Method
-Take the Pinhole Gambit at the start to compensate for accuracy loss
Feat suggestions
W/o Human FCB
1-Point-Blank Shot
3-Precise Shot
Warleader-Depends on team comp
5-Rapid Shot
7-Advanced Study
9-Elemental Focus (Fire) (This lets you deal with immunities and resistances)
11-Quick Draw
13-Hone Weapon (Get a full set of durable arrows, this will basically allow you each day to choose between having a damage bonus on melee or one on ranged)
15-Mixed Combat
17-Advanced Study
19-
Take the Training weapon enhancement on your longbow for Manyshot. If you're planning on pumping everything onto Dex, take Polearm Dancing on your spear.

With Human FCB
1-Point-Blank Shot
3-Precise Shot
Warleader-Depends on team comp
5-Rapid Shot
6-Quick Draw
7-Advanced Study
9-Elemental Focus (Fire)
11-Mixed Combat
12-Deadly Aim
13-Hone Weapon
15-Power Attack
17-Advanced Study
18-
19-
Take Improved Critical on your longbow via Training.

Wartex1
2017-02-03, 06:11 PM
Okay, Hussar automatically gives you Mounted Combat, but when using a Lance, you really want feats like Spirited Charge (changes mounted charge w/ lance from x2 multiplier to x3 multiplier), Ride-By Attack (attack in the middle of the charge instead of at the end), and depending on how your GM rules mounted combat with your mount also having feats (even with FAQ/errata, it's a mess), you can give it Improved Overrun and Charge Through, though the latter requires you to level your Horse's Intelligence or use one of the Animal Companion Archetypes that allows your mount to take it without leveling intelligence.

You might also want stuff like Wheeling Charge, but it becomes unnecessary when using the Deadly Thunder Lancer's Stance, as that allows you to chain Spring Attack, a charge maneuver, and allows you to turn while charging an infinite amount of times.

Tuvarkz
2017-02-04, 04:43 AM
Okay, Hussar automatically gives you Mounted Combat, but when using a Lance, you really want feats like Spirited Charge (changes mounted charge w/ lance from x2 multiplier to x3 multiplier), Ride-By Attack (attack in the middle of the charge instead of at the end), and depending on how your GM rules mounted combat with your mount also having feats (even with FAQ/errata, it's a mess), you can give it Improved Overrun and Charge Through, though the latter requires you to level your Horse's Intelligence or use one of the Animal Companion Archetypes that allows your mount to take it without leveling intelligence.

You might also want stuff like Wheeling Charge, but it becomes unnecessary when using the Deadly Thunder Lancer's Stance, as that allows you to chain Spring Attack, a charge maneuver, and allows you to turn while charging an infinite amount of times.

Spirited Charge damage doesn't stack with neither strikes nor boosts, making it useless on an initiator, particularly since there's Descending Sunset Strike which does x4.
EDIT: Although then, that does bring up-Martial Charge should take priority over Mixed Combat.

Wartex1
2017-02-04, 09:50 AM
I know Spirited Charge doesn't multiply maneuver bonus damage on a charge, but does it not still affect the base damage? While it's not much, it's an extra d8 plus other flat modifiers.

Tuvarkz
2017-02-04, 10:33 AM
I know Spirited Charge doesn't multiply maneuver bonus damage on a charge, but does it not still affect the base damage? While it's not much, it's an extra d8 plus other flat modifiers.

Nope, doesn't affect the base damage.

Wartex1
2017-02-04, 11:29 AM
How come? Is it due to some sort of errata? The fact that the wording in the feats doesn't match the wording in the rules? Is it the clause in the Hussar pseudo-archetype thing that says that charge maneuvers while mounted make your mount charge as well, which doesn't qualify as a mounted charge?

I'm also asking because I was planning on making a charge-focused Ambu-Lancer Medic, and that drastically affects my feat progression.

Tuvarkz
2017-02-04, 11:59 AM
How come? Is it due to some sort of errata? The fact that the wording in the feats doesn't match the wording in the rules? Is it the clause in the Hussar pseudo-archetype thing that says that charge maneuvers while mounted make your mount charge as well, which doesn't qualify as a mounted charge?

I'm also asking because I was planning on making a charge-focused Ambu-Lancer Medic, and that drastically affects my feat progression.

From the Path of War Expanded pdf, page 91

Maneuvers and Mounted Combat
When a character initiates a martial strike or boost during a mounted charge attack, the initiation of the maneuver overrides any damage bonuses that would be gained while performing this action (such as by the Spirited Charge feat or while wielding a lance), and the initiator deals damage as if they were not charging (the effects of the strike or boost are applied to the attack as normal). If a mounted character initiates a strike that includes a charge attack, their mount forgoes its normal actions this round and takes a full-round action to move up to twice its speed in a straight line, taking the normal penalty to its AC for charging. Martial counters and stances are unaffected by being mounted, and a character can gain their effects as normal.

Wartex1
2017-02-04, 12:51 PM
That also affects the default Lance bonus, doesn't it?

Ah well, it's one more feat for me and another stance I don't have to take.