PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Getting around EXP costs for spells

Gusmo
2017-02-03, 07:48 PM
Is there a list of ways to do this somewhere? True creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm) is specifically what I'm interested in. So far runesmith and dweomerkeeper are looking like my best options.

Shadowquad
2017-02-03, 07:54 PM
You can also bind a creature with Wish as a Spell-like Ability, and make it cast it for you (Efreet are what come to mind first).

Thurbane
2017-02-03, 08:54 PM
...a combo of Wyrm Wizard to get the spell on your list, then Archmage to make it a 2/day SLA.

That still uses XP, damn. Maybe throw Supernatural Transformation feat onto the SLA, if your DM let's it count as "innate". I think that might work. Wizard 14/Wyrm Wizard 2/Archmage 1; get Supernatural Transformation as your 18th level feat.

Âmesang
2017-02-03, 09:13 PM
Speaking of archmage/hierophant, does anyone feel like its gold piece to XP conversion is backwards? For example if a hierophant wanted to turn true resurrection into a spell-like ability, he would have to spend 250,000 XP per casting.

WTF, mate? :smallconfused:

I attempted to homebrew a spell that would allow one to drain the power from a magic item, gaining you "virtual" XP equal to the amount needed to craft the item (320 XP for a +2 weapon, for example) with which you could use to help cast an XP-costing spell only (based on the artificer's Retain Essence class feature).

Otherwise perhaps pull a Pathfinder and replace the XP costs with material components? (Typically 1 XP = 5 gp worth of components.)

ZamielVanWeber
2017-02-03, 09:16 PM
Dweomerkeeper can cast spells supernaturally up a 4/day depending on level.

Shalist
2017-02-03, 09:21 PM
Well, there's phaerimm (web update (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/PGtF_WE_Monster_Update.zip)w/ full entry):

Spells: A phaerimm casts arcane spells as a sorcerer (caster level equals phaerimm’s Hit Dice).

Phaerimm Magic: Phaerimms cast their sorcerer spells as if they were spell-like abilities. Thus, they require no verbal, somatic, or material components.

Phaerimm Characters
A phaerimm’s favored class is sorcerer. Its sorcerer levels stack with its base spellcasting ability for the purpose of determining spells known, spells per day, and other effects dependent on caster level. A phaerimm character likewise uses the sum of its racial spellcasting levels and appropriate class levels to determine the abilities of its familiar, though it cannot acquire a familiar until it takes at least one level in the sorcerer class.While I'm not familiar with polymorph / mind swapping / etc. shenanigans, a 1 RHD hatchling is only +2 LA (and if you only have 1 RHD, it's replaced by your first class level).