PDA

View Full Version : Taking 20 in 5th edition

Dmdork
2017-02-03, 09:02 PM
If you have enough time, there are certain checks that are going to succeed. To me, that's the same thing as taking 20 in 3.5 edition. Does anyone see anything wrong with me implementing that into 5.0?

Potato_Priest
2017-02-03, 09:06 PM
If you have enough time, there are certain checks that are going to succeed. To me, that's the same thing as taking 20 in 3.5 edition. Does anyone see anything wrong with me implementing that into 5.0?

Was there a specific rule for that in 3.5?

In 5e, it's generally recognized that if time isn't of the essence and you can try multiple times, you'll succeed, as long as your bonuses are high enough to meet the DC (so the 8 str rogue, if given an hour, still can't break through a foot of steel)

There isn't a specific rule for it, but most people understand it anyway, and it'll save rolling time.

DanyBallon
2017-02-03, 09:16 PM
In essence, taking 20 isn't needed in 5e as you should only make skill checks if there's a chance for faillure. Since taking 20 will grant you a success given enough time, you could say that the check isn't required at all.

It could be useful to players that recently switxh from 3.P to 5e, but still I would recommand againt implementing taking 20 as I believe it tend to keep alive the 3.P mentality where a skill check is needed for everything you try to do.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-03, 10:50 PM
I'm not overly sure take 20 is a thing in 5e. Isn't there a class feature for rogues that lets them take 10 for skills they're proficient in? If take 20 was a thing, they wouldn't make a class feature around it, would they?

Desamir
2017-02-03, 10:53 PM
Take 20 is an explicit rule in 5e, though it's not referred to by name.

Multiple Ability Checks
Sometimes a character fails an ability check and wants to try again. In some cases, a character is free to do so; the only real cost is the time it takes. With enough attempts and enough time, a character should eventually succeed at the task. To speed things up, assume that a character spending ten times the normal amount of time needed to a complete a task automatically succeeds at that task. However, no amount of repeating the check allows a character to turn an impossible task into a successful one.

ad_hoc
2017-02-03, 11:32 PM

There is no need to implement it into 5e.

If a task has no consequence for failure there is no check to take 20 on.

The best thing you can do to help you understand the rules of 5 is to forget the rules of 3.x.

Pex
2017-02-03, 11:36 PM
There is no need to implement it into 5e.

If a task has no consequence for failure there is no check to take 20 on.

The best thing you can do to help you understand the rules of 5 is to forget the rules of 3.x.

It already exists in 5E. It just doesn't use that term.