View Full Version : Using rope trick inside rope trick

ayvango
2017-02-04, 12:40 AM
What are exact consequences for casting rope trick inside rope trick? Hazardous is not precise for me. Could it be used for early access to planar travels?

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 12:48 AM
What are exact consequences for casting rope trick inside rope trick? Hazardous is not precise for me. Could it be used for early access to planar travels?Exact? The precise effects? Unspecified in RAW, ask your DM.

Not a satisfying answer, I know, but it's a vague statement in the spell. On the one hand, it could be that the vague statement doesn't mean anything... but then you're trying to figure out whether or not the entryway of the second spell counts as a thing to be expelled from the first, and whether or not you're dealing with the stacking magical effects clauses in the magic overview (and if so, which ones). You're unlikely to get a consensus.

ayvango
2017-02-04, 01:11 AM
I had impression that there was a table for hazardous effects for overlapping spells.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 01:13 AM
I had impression that there was a table for hazardous effects for overlapping spells.
For some specific types of spells, sure (Abjurations, for instance, have minor problems if they're right next to each other for long periods of time). For Rope Trick? Not so much in 3.5.

Ruethgar
2017-02-04, 10:22 AM
Technically, nothing happens. Rope Trick never specifies the creation of the space, simply that you enchant a rope to lead to a portal to that space. So casting it again while inside does not create an extradimensional space, merely another portal to one.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 10:52 AM
Technically, nothing happens. Rope Trick never specifies the creation of the space, simply that you enchant a rope to lead to a portal to that space. So casting it again while inside does not create an extradimensional space, merely another portal to one.That interpretation actually produces something of a trap:
You cast Rope Trick #1, and go into Space #1.
You cast Rope Trick #2 from inside Space #1, and go into Space #2.
Rope Trick #1 expires.
Rope Trick #2 expires.
- Where do you end up?

Malimar
2017-02-04, 10:58 AM
There's no RAW answer. I'd probably scatter all the contents across the Astral Plane, like what happens when you put a Bag of Holding inside another Bag of Holding. Or, if travel to the Astral Plane is the PCs' desired outcome, something worse happens instead.

ayvango
2017-02-04, 12:06 PM
Or, if travel to the Astral Plane is the PCs' desired outcome, something worse happens instead.

What a nasty DM!

Malimar
2017-02-04, 12:29 PM
What a nasty DM!

I'm all for PC cleverness, but if the game means for something to be a bad thing to be avoided, it should actually be a bad thing to be avoided. Many cursed items are the same way (I'm looking at you, Dust of Sneezing and Choking).

Not that free travel to the Astral Plane is all that useful except as a get-out-of-a-bad-situation-free card. Once you're on the Astral Plane, there's not much to do but plane shift back or die of starvation/dehydration/boredom.

Ruethgar
2017-02-04, 12:35 PM
That interpretation actually produces something of a trap:
You cast Rope Trick #1, and go into Space #1.
You cast Rope Trick #2 from inside Space #1, and go into Space #2.
Rope Trick #1 expires.
Rope Trick #2 expires.
- Where do you end up?

You end up in the extra dimensional space connected to Rope Trick #1 but there is no exit. You should be able to leave via normal planar travel, but because it isn't on a plane itself, only Wish and Alter Reality could reach you. Very potent defense, but definitely hazardous if you are too low level for planar travel.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 12:36 PM
I'm all for PC cleverness, but if the game means for something to be a bad thing to be avoided, it should actually be a bad thing to be avoided. Many cursed items are the same way (I'm looking at you, Dust of Sneezing and Choking).

Not that free travel to the Astral Plane is all that useful except as a get-out-of-a-bad-situation-free card. Once you're on the Astral Plane, there's not much to do but plane shift back or die of starvation/dehydration/boredom.
It's Timeless. Except for boredom, those things aren't going to kill you as long as you stay. The natives might, though.

You end up in the extra dimensional space connected to Rope Trick #1 but there is no exit. You should be able to leave via normal planar travel, but because it isn't on a plane itself, only Wish and Alter Reality could reach you. Very potent defense, but definitely hazardous if you are too low level for planar travel.
Well, to get out, you just need Dismissal (Cleric-4, Sor/Wiz 5) assuming you don't have Naturalized Denizen or similar.

Malimar
2017-02-04, 12:43 PM
It's Timeless. Except for boredom, those things aren't going to kill you as long as you stay. The natives might, though.

Oh, right, good point.

Kantaki
2017-02-04, 12:44 PM
There's no RAW answer. I'd probably scatter all the contents across the Astral Plane, like what happens when you put a Bag of Holding inside another Bag of Holding. Or, if travel to the Astral Plane is the PCs' desired outcome, something worse happens instead.

Well, if they want to get there using such a risky method you should let them.

Reuniting the party and getting their stuff* back would be a adventure in itself.

*And putting everyone/thing back together if they get scattered enough.:smallamused:

torrasque666
2017-02-04, 03:42 PM

Doesn't the Astral Plane's Timelessness trait also state that when you leave all the time you missed catches up with you?

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 03:46 PM
Doesn't the Astral Plane's Timelessness trait also state that when you leave all the time you missed catches up with you?
Hence my note of "as long as you stay" yes. You'll want to put various measures in place against those drawbacks before leaving. Fortunately, spells you cast there ALSO don't expire....