PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Chaos Mage (Simple)

Deleted
2017-02-04, 10:17 AM
My friend is running a game (level 8) and will allow homebrew. I'm not going to be part of the game but one of the friends that will be wanted a simple chaos mage.

Sorcerous Origin: Chaos Magic

Level 1

Weird Chaos: Starting at first level your magic is chaotic and just plain weird. Whenever you cast a spell, including cantrip, that requires a saving throw, roll a d6 and consult the list below. The spell now requires a different save based on your roll.

1: Str
2: Dex
3: Con
4: Int
5: Wis
6: Cha

The player and DM are encouraged to fluff the spell in a different way based on the saving throw. If burning hands requires an Int save then perhaps it is an illusion spell. If burning hands is a Cha save, perhaps it is an enchantment spell where the sorcerer "burned" the target so bad with insults that the target really felt the flames.

Bonus Proficiencies: Due to needing less time to master your spells, because let's be honest, you aren't really mastering your chaotic spells anytime soon (or ever)... You have proficiency with simple weapons, medium armor, and shields.

Level 6
Force of Chaos
Whenever you change the saving throw of a spell or cantrip and deal damage, you deal additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

=====
Note: My groups, as with most groups, don't go past level 10-ish so I'm not too worried about the level 14 or 18 feature. Plus the game this is for won't be hitting higher levels soo... I probs won't be making more of this unless someone will be playing it.

Ziegander
2017-02-04, 10:37 AM
I like it. Maybe for players that like a little extra chaos, you could gain an inspiration point whenever a foe succeeds on its saving throw against your spell and you can expend it when you cast a spell in order to invoke a "Chaos Surge" aka roll on the published Wild Magic table?

Deleted
2017-02-04, 11:27 AM
I like it. Maybe for players that like a little extra chaos, you could gain an inspiration point whenever a foe succeeds on its saving throw against your spell and you can expend it when you cast a spell in order to invoke a "Chaos Surge" aka roll on the published Wild Magic table?

I like that idea!

Though, I feel like adding that to what os already here might be too much.

I could see a chaos mage set up like the normal sorcerer but instead of running off DM whim it runs off your idea...

Level 3...

Surge of Chaos

Whenever a creature succeeds on a saving throw against one of your spells, you gain a portion of the chaotic energy that fuels your spells as backlash. You may store this chaotic energy in your body until you take a long rest (relaxation lets it trickle out slowly).

Starting on your next turn you may unleash this chaotic magic so that you may roll on the Wild Magic table.

You may gain this energy once per round but not on a round that you roll on the Wild mage table.

Cantrips are not powerful enough to give you chaotic energy backlash.

You may use this feature a number of times per long rest equal to your Charisma modifier.

Shield of Chaos: You may replace your Dexterity modifier with your Charisma modifier whenever you determine your AC.