PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help creating a new patron

MBControl
2017-02-04, 12:11 PM
I'm setting up a homebrew world, and I need to make a patron.

The PC is a Triton bladelock, that basically is designed as a underwater ranger, that is more heavy on magic than melee. His background saw him guiding and guarding vessels across the oceans of the world. He worships a sky god, that represents the stars, navigation, and omens.

So I've decided what the Patron is, and it's name, though that can be changed. As of now, the Patron is Norward, The Star Ray. A massive sting ray, that can travel the seas and sky. I thought that maybe it's body would reflect the stars, night or day, as a map to guide travelers, or something like that. Probably a neutral good Patron.

So here's my problem. I'm not sure what motivates a Patron. Why is it granting power to my PC, and to what end? I would also like some input on the expanded spell slots, and patron abilities that I could use. I don't need these to be directly made for the PC. I would rather this be a good all around patron option to use again down the road.

Thanks fam,

Millstone85
2017-02-04, 12:47 PM
To me, the entity you are describing is a god at one with the world. It has a divine role without which navigators and astrologers would be lost. Such an entity has little need for bargaining. Rather, it empowers the faithful and the worthy, making them clerics, paladins, druids or rangers.

Not quite "otherworldly patron" material is what I am saying.

Still, you may want to have a look at The Seeker (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf) from Unearthed Arcana.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-04, 12:59 PM
Although I can see the argument for making this entity a god, it has a fair bit of Great Old One flavour, so I can also see it working as a patron. I'll see what I can come up with...

The Star Ray
The Star Ray, known to some as Norward, is a strange creature. An immortal being of spirit and energy, the Star Ray is completely above the petty concerns of mortals, yet neither does it sit alongside the Gods in their celestial halls. Instead, the Star Ray wanders the skies over the world's oceans, a map of stars shining from its back. It's motives are unknown, but many sailors and aquatic cultures have come to view the Star Ray as a benevolent savior that always appears in their time of need.
Of course, the Star Ray cannot be in multiple places at once. For this reason, the Star Ray has been known to choose a few select mortals and place a fragment of its otherworldly power into the minds, such that they can serve as guides to their comrades when their patron is elsewhere.

Expanded Spell List
Your pact with the Star Ray allows you to choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a new spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Star Ray Expanded Spells

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt

2nd
Augury, Moonbeam

3rd
Nondetection, Water Breathing

4th
Locate Creature, Watery Sphere

5th
Control Winds, Planar Binding (I'm not completely happy with Planar Binding here. Open to suggestions!)

Glimmering Visions
At 1st level, you gain the ability dazzle your foes with starry lights. As an action on your turn, choose a creature within 30 feet of you. That creature must make a Wisdom saving throw or be blinded. The creature can use its action to repeat this saving throw, ending the effect on a success. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Steered to Safety
By 6th level, you can beseech your patron to guide your movements in combat, helping you to evade attacks. Once per short rest, you can Disengage as a free action.

Map of the Stars
When you reach 10th level, you gain proficiency with Navigator's Tools. Furthermore, you can never become lost and always know which direction is North.

Pelagic Endurance
Also at 10th level, you gain resistance to cold damage and can drink salt water as if it was fresh water.

Cosmic Storm
At 14th level, your patron teaches you to channel the magic of the stars to destroy your foes. As an action on your turn, you can create three bolts of light, each of which can strike a target you can see within 100 feet. A target must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 10d6 radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

MBControl
2017-02-04, 02:25 PM
Great thoughts.

I will not be able to make him a god due to home brew world and story restrictions, so I would lean towards a great old one for sure.

The seeker has some aspects I might co-opt, though my player is set on pact of the blade, so I wouldn't really be able to utilize the new pact boons.

Some of the ideas I had thought of since I opened this thread, are really close to the ideas you presented me, most of your ideas are probably stronger options, but I'm on the right path.

I had North Star - PRO in navigation/survival checks, or double pro if already proficient. And the never get lost part as well.(Lvl 1)

I had Refracting Mist, that creates a small aura of mist that on a failed save, attackers outside the aura attack at DIS. (Lvl 6). Though I really like the Steered to Safety option.

Nothing at 10 yet

14th - Norward's Sting. A powerful sting attack, utilized with Eldritch Blast, that poisons and paralyzes.

Millstone, I agree this would be more simple to rationalize as a god, but unfortunately I can't. I feel you have a good grasp on the Patron, can you think of a reason an old one would assign these powers to others, based on a non-divine role? How can they benefit, feed, or even entertain it?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-04, 02:44 PM
I had North Star - PRO in navigation/survival checks, or double pro if already proficient. And the never get lost part as well.(Lvl 1)

I'm not really that into warlocks, but I understand that the first level ability can't be an exploration-centric ribbon. It needs to be an ability you can use in combat, but that doesn't do direct damage. That's why I put the navigation stuff at 10, even though it's central to the theme. Also apparently it's not enough power for a subclass ability, which is why I added the cold resistance.

Millstone85
2017-02-04, 03:20 PM
Millstone, I agree this would be more simple to rationalize as a god, but unfortunately I can't. I feel you have a good grasp on the Patron, can you think of a reason an old one would assign these powers to others, based on a non-divine role? How can they benefit, feed, or even entertain it?My idea of a benevolent GOO is that of an entity that must be extremely cautious in its interactions with the world, for the mortal mind and flesh are easily overwhelmed by its mere presence. Thus, it has no true clerics and it mostly communicates in distant cryptic ways, such as secret patterns in the night sky. Exceptionally though, it will single out a mortal as a keystone in the great domino chain of destiny and that mortal will hear its whispers. In the past, such mortals have been remembered as heroes... who eventually succumbed to madness or some other ghastly fate.

I'm not really that into warlocks, but I understand that the first level ability can't be an exploration-centric ribbon. It needs to be an ability you can use in combat, but that doesn't do direct damage.As their first-level patron feature, goolocks gain the ability to speak telepathically to a nearby creature.

Quoxis
2017-02-04, 03:20 PM
I'm not really that into warlocks, but I understand that the first level ability can't be an exploration-centric ribbon. It needs to be an ability you can use in combat, but that doesn't do direct damage. That's why I put the navigation stuff at 10, even though it's central to the theme. Also apparently it's not enough power for a subclass ability, which is why I added the cold resistance.

You made it one of two 10th level features. Why not compromise and make the navigator's tools proficiency a second 1st or 6th level bonus? Thematically it'd fit the 6th, i think.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-04, 03:34 PM
As their first-level patron feature, goolocks gain the ability to speak telepathically to a nearby creature.

I consider that combat-useful. At least until Rary's Telepathic Bond is on the table. And you could probably use it to distract enemies and suchlike.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with my offering. I'll leave it to the OP to decide whether to use any of it.

MBControl
2017-02-04, 04:39 PM
Great help. I'll be using your advice, and others yet to come in my build.

Thanks again.