PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help selecting Cantrips

Edgerunner
2017-02-04, 02:24 PM
We are playing in the Neverwinter city setting to start and I will be playing an Eldritch Archer which is a slight alteration to the Eldritch Knight. http://richplayingitforward.blogspot.com/2014/11/5th-edition-builds-eldritch-archer.html

When I choose my Cantrips/Spells I need to be aware of what will translate well into the EA's War Caster ability.

If you use your weapon bond on a ranged weapon and that weapon is in your hand, you may spend a bonus action whenever you cast a cantrip to imbue one piece of ammunition with the cantrip's arcane power. As a part of the bonus action you may fire the piece of ammunition at any target or location within the weapon's range. If the spell requires an attack roll, the attack is rolled normally for the ranged weapon using Strength or Dexterity as appropriate, not your spell casting ability.

Obviously I don't need to worry about Spell Attack rolls because the cantrip goes off If I hit the target. I understand that, once reaching lvl 5, that most times I will be better off just using my extra Attack but I also wish to have cantrips that I can cast with a Bow Shot that will set me up to win.

Taking Magic Initiate could be an option @lvl 4 so we can look at those options as well

Any suggestions???

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-04, 02:28 PM
Frostbite and Vicious Mockery are nice debuffs... but both are saving throws. How does that interact with your ability?

Fire Bolt and Eldritch Blast have the biggest damage dice, but no rider effects.

Ray of Frost could be good for kiting.

Thunderclap could provide some minor AoE, but it's also a save.

Edgerunner
2017-02-04, 02:43 PM
Frostbite and Vicious Mockery are nice debuffs... but both are saving throws. How does that interact with your ability?

Fire Bolt and Eldritch Blast have the biggest damage dice, but no rider effects.

Ray of Frost could be good for kiting.

Thunderclap could provide some minor AoE, but it's also a save.

If the spell requires a saving throw, you must make a successful attack roll against either the target creature or the desired point of origin (use a base AC 10 if the target is a point instead of a creature) before forcing the target to make the saving throw.

I was hoping to Not have to deal with saving throws, I was planning on dumping INT, but now I see that it would gimp this particular ability.

CoffeenPizza
2017-02-04, 04:03 PM
Shocking Grasp is my first choice in this situation. Advantage against metal armor clad opponents is big. The ability to remove reactions at range will really allow you to help control the battlefield. As an archer it will also give you a "free" disengage if you get stuck in melee.

Chill touch is one of my favorites. Not many monsters have resistance to necrotic damage, and the ability to prevent healing can be sublime.