PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of healer

Sigreid
2017-02-04, 02:55 PM
So I have been thinking about healer and I thought back to the EQ 2 shaman and how much I liked it. Out of curiosity, what would you think the impact of a ward versus healing focused healer would be? For example, instead of casting cure wounds when someone is beat up, you cast ward that blocks an equivalent amount of damage, lasting up to say 10 minutes with concentration required.

The obvious pro to me is that it helps much more against spike damage that could drop a party member (this is what I like about it). The obvious con is it's less easy to be sure you're expending the resource at the right time.

As an added bonus, some parties might move a little faster from time to time to avoid wasting the ward.

Regitnui
2017-02-04, 03:07 PM
I like this idea. Perhaps, like the mystic seems to be our flagship psionic with psionic subclasses, we have a shaman class pulling incarnum back in? I always found that system interesting, if a bit dislocated from the established settings.

Edits: Perhaps make the shaman itself a sort of ward/buff class, that casts incarnum-based buffs that absorb damage. Example: the shaman's bless comes with a totem that surrounds the target and absorbs 5 damage before splintering. That might mess with the concentration mechanic, but if sufficient damage dispels the magic, it might be an acceptable trade off for game balance.

Sigreid
2017-02-04, 04:09 PM
I think more in line with your edit. I think it might be worth some more thinking about.