PDA

View Full Version : 50-wisdom?

PlasticSoldier
2007-07-21, 05:37 PM
I was wondering about people with very epic level mental scores

and i got to thinking if someone with 50 int could tell the future from the circumference of an orange and someone with 50 charisma could deflower the high priestess of chastity what could someone with 50 wisdom do?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-21, 05:40 PM
Be Buddha-esque with their proverbness.

Cyrano
2007-07-21, 05:41 PM
Achieve Common Sense?

Green Bean
2007-07-21, 05:42 PM
Look at someone, and immediately know all of their secrets.

NullAshton
2007-07-21, 05:48 PM
Understand women?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-21, 05:50 PM
Understand women?

That requires at least 100 Wis.

Pauwel
2007-07-21, 05:51 PM
My comment on how hard it is to under stand women has been ninja'ed. Badly.

Ulzgoroth
2007-07-21, 05:52 PM
Be a grandmaster of any non-productive trade before completing an apprenticeship. One rank, and you're one of the finest bookkeepers in the world.:smalltongue:

Yechezkiel
2007-07-21, 05:53 PM
Profession: Baker(Wis)
Make one [scrubbed] good cake (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-azqXygCzO8).

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-21, 05:56 PM
That requires at least 100 Wis.

Don't make me hurt you. :smallamused:

As for the 50 wis thing...hm...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Buddha-esque commentaries.

TheGreatJabu
2007-07-21, 06:01 PM
You are constantly treated as though everyone around you has shot you with the Point-of-View gun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_view_gun)

Heck, I think it's fair enough to say that you are treated as having Detect Thoughts active at all times as an Extraordinary Ability.

Maerok
2007-07-21, 06:20 PM
A 50-Wisdom character becomes self-aware and can see beyond the game.:smallamused:

de-trick
2007-07-21, 06:23 PM
be able to cast level 50 cleric, and druid spells(wonder how powerful would that be)
know what to do all the time

Saint George
2007-07-21, 06:38 PM
With fifty points in wisdom you become a Reader of Invisible Runes.

Bonus points if you get the reference.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 06:40 PM
Discworld! A member of UU's faculty, to be precise.

Valairn
2007-07-21, 07:10 PM
Generally someone with a literally godly wisdom score should be able to sense motives immediately. If you want to bend the rules to show how ridiculously perceptive that person is, you could say the person always knows people's alignments, has a constant detect thoughts arua around him. He can sense a change in a persons mood just by looking at them. His sense are extremely attuned, he should be able to hear what's going on behind a concrete wall, smell what's cooking four blocks away, and be able to see exactly what someone is wearing from extreme distances.

Someone with that ludicrous of a wisdom score is literally completely in tune with his/her surroundings. He probably can even predict earthquakes and storms, be able to intuit the future, and understand the deepest workings of someones mind after spending just 10 minutes with them. He probably is so wise, he understands himself on a level other people can't comprehend.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-21, 07:13 PM
Ya'know, someone told me that with over 150 intelligence, I couldn't understand astrophysics. Because I never learned them.

:smallamused:

PlasticSoldier
2007-07-21, 07:15 PM
Ya'know, someone told me that with over 150 intelligence, I couldn't understand astrophysics. Because I never learned them.

if you were that smart you could write astrophysics textbooks by skygazing.

palindrome
2007-07-21, 07:22 PM
i think a character with a 50 wisdom will realize it's in a game and gains obscene bonuses to everything.

Advance Strat..
2007-07-21, 07:46 PM
you mean become a neo like character, realize he's in a matrix of his own, and start stopping bullets, i mean arrows, in mid air?

Daracaex
2007-07-21, 07:47 PM
Generally someone with a literally godly wisdom score should be able to sense motives immediately. If you want to bend the rules to show how ridiculously perceptive that person is, you could say the person always knows people's alignments, has a constant detect thoughts arua around him. He can sense a change in a persons mood just by looking at them. His sense are extremely attuned, he should be able to hear what's going on behind a concrete wall, smell what's cooking four blocks away, and be able to see exactly what someone is wearing from extreme distances.

Someone with that ludicrous of a wisdom score is literally completely in tune with his/her surroundings. He probably can even predict earthquakes and storms, be able to intuit the future, and understand the deepest workings of someones mind after spending just 10 minutes with them. He probably is so wise, he understands himself on a level other people can't comprehend.

Even with all this, though, he can't find his stupid keys. Every day he wakes up and smells the roses 10 miles away, then proceeds to make a search check with his abismally low intelligence score, failing 19 times out of 20.

Alleine
2007-07-21, 08:36 PM
Have monk abilities that work?

*hides*

NullAshton
2007-07-21, 08:47 PM
*extension on monk theory*

Become the One, realizing that the life you see is determined by a bunch of rules and takes place in an imaginary reality? And with said knowledge, realize that these rules can be bent by something called 'bribing the DM', and attain ultimate power?

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-21, 08:59 PM
With 50 wisdom, the character realizes he knows nothing. With 100, he realizes there is more nothing he doesn't know. With 150, he is able to resolve that paradox.

Superglucose
2007-07-21, 09:13 PM
A character with 50 wisdom should be able to interpret the actions of all but the most mentally unstable.

Pronounceable
2007-07-21, 11:54 PM
Probably he'd perceive the Old Ones, lose all that Wis and becomes a normal person.

TheOOB
2007-07-22, 12:00 AM
Probably he'd perceive the Old Ones, lose all that Wis and becomes a normal person.

Actually, with a 50 wisdom, you might be able to comprehend the old ones, as represented by your +20 on will saves.

A 50 wisdom person would be super perceptive, what many would consider psychic. They wouldn't necessarily be able to tell the future (thats more of an int thing), but they could understand everything thats going on around them, and be able to write a book on your personality and motives by watching your body language for a few minutes.

PsyBlade
2007-07-22, 12:06 AM
be able to cast level 50 cleric, and druid spells(wonder how powerful would that be)
know what to do all the time

Correction: Level 40 cleric and druid spells. Probably would have multi-classed as a cleric/druid too.

Cybren
2007-07-22, 12:11 AM
A 50-wis character should be someone wholly aware of the rules of the game as a game, and their wisdom should be, to lesser men, indistinguishable from insanity.

kpenguin
2007-07-22, 12:15 AM

That would be because you can't take Knowledge checks untrained. However, if you just took one class on astrophysics, you would have a better check then anyone on Earth.

TheOOB
2007-07-22, 12:17 AM
If it help, Boccob has 50 Int, 29 Wisdom, and Nerull has 35 Int and 40 Wisdom, 50 in a ability score is about at the upper threshold of a greater deity, anything above that and your talking more powerful then the gods type stuff.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-22, 12:22 AM
If you took one class? Hell, if you looked at the inside of your eyelids you would know the mechanics of eternity at INT 150.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-22, 12:26 AM
Alright, so let's see how one would go about acquiring such a score?

Base Wis 18(assuming rolls)
Ability Score Boosts from Age: 3
From Items: 6
From Wish/Miracle: 5
Levels 1-20: 5

Total: 37

What else can we find to bump it up that last 13? Any classes grant Wisdom bonuses for levelling? Any templates grant more than you would lose from Level Adjustment(well, if you can grant even 2 Wis for every 4 levels or part thereof that you would lose, you're coming out ahead).

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 01:29 AM
That would be because you can't take Knowledge checks untrained. However, if you just took one class on astrophysics, you would have a better check then anyone on Earth.

Jack of All Trades. You can now make any skill check untrained as if you had a 1/2 rank in it. Knowledge: Depths of Your Own Sanity checks are right around the bend.

As for Wisdom:
Base 18
Tortle: +2 (Dragon Magizine)
Amulet: +6
Book: +5
Half-Celestial: +4
Ghul: +4
Mummified: +4
Dry Lich: +4
Levels 1-4: +1

ECL 20 character with 51 Wisdom that's completely legitimate. Off-topic: He's also a Lawful Evil Half-Celestial Mummified Dry Lich Ghul, but hey.. Ultimate Wisdom comes at a price, no?

TheOOB
2007-07-22, 01:48 AM
So you are wiser then a god, what now?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 02:07 AM
By a whole point.

Downside? You have 4 hit die.
Upside? You're deathless. Technically.

Alternative: If you want 50 Wisdom even, play a Sunscorch Hobgoblin. You lose a hit-die, but you now have 50 Wisdom.

JaxGaret
2007-07-22, 02:14 AM
You can:

Heal the Unhealable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#heal)

Hear the Unhearable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen)

Discern the Undiscernable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#senseMotive)

See the Unseeable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#spot)

Withstand the Unwithstandable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#survival)

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 02:17 AM
Heal the Unhealable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#heal)

Epic. You're only Level 4.

Hear the Unhearable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen)

See above.

Discern the Undiscernable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#senseMotive)

See above.

See the Unseeable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#spot)

See above.

Withstand the Unwithstandable (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#survival)

See above.

Seriously guys. Your skill check is:

1d20+20+9. Taking 20, you have 49. At 20th level and 32 WIS(very reasonable), you have 1d20+11+24 Taking 20, you have 55. High-level means more.

JaxGaret
2007-07-22, 02:26 AM

Seriously guys. Your skill check is:

1d20+20+9. Taking 20, you have 49. At 20th level and 32 WIS(very reasonable), you have 1d20+11+24 Taking 20, you have 55. High-level means more.

What the heck are you talking about? Here is what the OP asked:

I was wondering about people with very epic level mental scores

what could someone with 50 wisdom do?

I answered that question, not anything in between.

namo
2007-07-22, 02:36 AM
Maybe at Wis 50 you should be able to project your mind out of your body ?

See above.
See above.
See above.
See above.

Your version is hardly the only way of getting Wisdom 50 (as I'm sure you're aware).
- Anthropomorphic Bat (SS) gives +6
- Owl's Insight (Druid 5, SC) gives +10 (1h only though)
- Greater Visage of the Deity (Cleric 9, SC) gives +4 (persistable)
- Phrenic (LA +2) +2
- Feral (LA +1) +2

Brainfever
2007-07-22, 05:03 AM
A 50 wisdom person would be super perceptive, what many would consider psychic. They wouldn't necessarily be able to tell the future (thats more of an int thing), but they could understand everything thats going on around them, and be able to write a book on your personality and motives by watching your body language for a few minutes.

Plus, they would always keep their composure and never let any setback have a negative effect on them, could rot in a planar prison for 1000000 years without any mental faculties, overcome the loss of their family and loved ones without shedding a single tear, have near absolute absence of fear and so on. It's ability scores like this that go beyond human reasoning.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-22, 07:39 AM
The problem with increasing via spells is that they're enhancements. (Owl's Wisdom + Greater Visage). Further, your best bet for collecting all the +Wisdom spells would be an Archivist, and even then they'd all be Enhancement bonuses(which don't stack).

Jax: Someone with 50 Wisdom can't do any of those things. Someone with 20 levels(30-40 for the higher things) could.

JackMage666
2007-07-22, 12:08 PM
Go madly insane.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-22, 12:19 PM
150 intelligence relies on ECL 21 and abuse of epic spells.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-22, 01:52 PM
I've played a high level wizard with Int of 46, Demilich with wishes, level bonuses and a headband. It got really annouying because, cool as it was to roll the dice and get LOOOOADS of information fromthe DM, I just couldn't do it justice. The problem with trying to player a character with mental scores through the stratosphere is that you, the player, have no idea what the hell your PC should be doing. Once the guy or girl you're playing gets that rediculous you can't do the planning they'd do automatically, you can't rally play the character.

Superhuman is easy with a players perspective and the knowledge/diplomacy/sense motive rules to use, Godlike uberness leaves you well out of your depth. Can you come up with multiple flawless plans instantly about situations that you have never encountered? cause I can't.

Still it is fun to always have the answer and play the smug little sod, or all knowing Bhudda if thats your cup of tea

Wraithy
2007-07-22, 02:32 PM
to handle this in-game you can just allow the character to metagame (mid session book referencing is too far).
it seems the best thing from a practical point of view, compared to letting them see through walls.

averagejoe
2007-07-22, 02:42 PM
someone with 50 int could tell the future from the circumference of an orange

I'm pretty sure you don't need 50 intelligence to tell the future from the circumfrence of an orange. I doubt my intelligence is that high, but even I can tell the difference. I mean, the circumfrence of an orange is tangible and geometrical, the future is an abstract concept. Where's the confusion? :smallbiggrin: