PDA

View Full Version : Items or feats that consume power points?

Augment Tab
2017-02-04, 04:04 PM
I'm currently in a somewhat fast and loose game of 3.5/PF where I'm playing an erudite prestiging into a full-manifesting version of Omegonthesane's Metamind fix, found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?124164-3-5-Attempted-Metamind-Fix-(PEACH)

I'm going to have a lot of bonus power points just lying around a lot of the time, and I was looking for options on things to use them for that wasn't necessarily manifesting powers. I know about the Darklight from Secrets of Sarlona, and deep crystal weapons, and the Psychic weapon enchantment. Are there any other items or feats that the playground is aware of that allow/require one to spend power points in order to activate them?

Any 3.0, 3.5, or Pathfinder book is potentially allowed, as is any Dragon Magazine content. Third-party sources for these are also fine. The DM is even willing to accommodate homebrew, so if anyone's made any homebrew stuff that fits the bill, I can always run it by the boss. Thanks to everyone in advance for any knowledge you can pass on to me.

Lormador
2017-02-04, 08:31 PM
You can use the Psychic Renewal feat to get a martial maneuver back, and you can gain martial maneuvers through items or the Heroics spell (or both). The original ToB maneuver-granting feats and items are fine; the Dreamscarred Press Path of War update to the ToB is even stronger.

You might be able to homebrew a combination of the Aegis class feature that lets them gain the benefit of a shard for 1 minute by spending a power point (this does not consume the shard) and the Synaptic Mask item (that lets you use a shard indefinitely by spending 9k and giving up the face slot).

Perhaps some sort of Pincushion Ioun Stone that you poke a bunch of shards into. Then you dump points into the Stone to get the skill check bonus, either 1 point for the whole shard's bonus or at a 1:1 PP:bonus ratio.

martixy
2017-02-04, 11:10 PM
Well how about the Soul Crystal power? From Magic of Incarnum.

It lets you create crystals that you can imbue with powers that anyone can manifest from subsequently and you can imbue each crystal individually with a power point pool of up to twice your manifester level.

Doing a dozen of those is enough to deplete any manifesters power pool.

If you really have that much power points to burn, turn your entire party into psions!

Augment Tab
2017-02-07, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I probably won't be putting any investment into maneuvers since I'm trying to be Batman, but there is a lockdown crusader in the party that I might be able to help out with this.

I had totally forgotten about Soul Crystal. This will be fun.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-07, 10:43 PM
Well how about the Soul Crystal power? From Magic of Incarnum.

It lets you create crystals that you can imbue with powers that anyone can manifest from subsequently and you can imbue each crystal individually with a power point pool of up to twice your manifester level.

Doing a dozen of those is enough to deplete any manifesters power pool.

If you really have that much power points to burn, turn your entire party into psions!

About the only problem with that power is that it expires.

Perhaps combine with Quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm)?

Make a dollop of Quintessence.
Make a Soul Crystal of a useful power.
Coat Soul Crystal in Quintessence (to stop the duration from ticking away).
Rinse & repeat.Hand out stones to party members.
Uncoat the ones you expect they'll want to use today.
Have fun!