PDA

View Full Version : Oath of vengence Paladin build for 3.5e

Zakier
2017-02-04, 06:35 PM
I've got a player that has only played 5e before, specifically a paladin following the oath of vengence path.

Our game however is going to be in 3.5 and players have access to all wotc material (including online and magazines) with special dispensation upon request for 3rd party published books.

To get the player into 3.5 I think it would be best to do a levelling guide to build within the rules a vengence sworn Paladin.

It's within the rules to make custom classes and prestige classes with dm consent and assistance.

The problem is... as a player, I was a rogue. So mechanically different than a paladin let alone this oath paladin that I'm completely out of my depth.

Could someone help me build the 3.5 equivalent of the vengence oath paladin from 5e?

If possible, cite books that the Feats are located in if you can.

Pleh
2017-02-04, 07:05 PM
Paladin of freedom of freedom or slaughter might put you in the ballpark.

They're paladin variants that could follow a vegeance arc.

Zakier
2017-02-04, 07:40 PM
I figured something like that to start wkth. Easily flavor a paladin to be on a path of vengence that's just Fluff and roleplay. The big thing their after is the mechanics.

Going to be hard to do as the mechanics in 5e are plenty different from 3.5

The_Iron_Lord
2017-02-04, 08:01 PM
A Paladin-Ranger multiclass might work, if your DM permits free multiclassing between the two...I'm sure there's some Paladin ACF somewhere that'll allow a favored enemy type thing, or a Ranger ACF that will allow Holy Smite and similar...I'm sorry I can't help further...

Complete Champion, Complete Divine, PHBII, Complete Warrior, and perhaps Tome of Battle are the most probably useful books for this goal, I think.

Zakier
2017-02-04, 08:08 PM
I am the Dm so I can allow quite a bit. Would probably be best to make a prestige class but I've got no experience there.

Thurbane
2017-02-15, 09:54 PM
How about a Cleric with thematic domains (Fury/Hatred/Pact/Retribution/Spite/Truth/Wrath etc.), and into Prestige Paladin?

Someguy231
2017-02-16, 07:20 PM
I can't believe no one has stated this class yet, but here I go...

From Complete Scoundrel, there is the class known as Gray Guard. This class is basically a Paladin that can do some nasty stuff, and as they progress in level, can get more loose with their code of conduct so long as what they do is for the greater good. This is, in my honest opinion, the closest thing you can get for an Oath of Vengeance Paladin in 3.5. It may not be the most optimizable, but I'm sure you're not looking for that bogus.

Also, it's a prestige class that requires LG, a code of conduct, Lay on Hands, and 8 Knowledge: Religion ranks and 4 Sense Motive Ranks. So fastest thing to do is go at the least 6 lvls into Paladin, then take all ten levels of this.