PDA

View Full Version : A question about Mythic Paths and how they interact with the story in WoTR.

ngilop
2017-02-04, 06:36 PM
hey guys SO i just got Wrath of The Righteous and did a very quick glance through on the entire adventure path.

I am sort of disappointed on how the AP specific traits are incorporated into the storyline.

I know that part way into the AP that the traits are 'ended' and resolved kinda. But My question is " thats it?" Does your choice of trait have any impact what so ever in the latter parts of the AP or not..?

For example with Child of the Crusades; in part 3 you find a secet cache of equipment your parents left behind. AM i just supposed to think 'yeah thats it no more story integration with the trait?

legomaster00156
2017-02-05, 12:50 PM
Any further integration is not officially sponsored by the AP, but that doesn't mean the GM can't further incorporate them into the story. An Iomedaean with the Touched by Divinity trait, for example, will surely have some questions for an important NPC in the later half of the campaign. :smallwink:

ngilop
2017-02-05, 07:00 PM
I read the third part of the adventure more carefully and In regards to a character i never got to finish the entirety of the path with (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503074-Looking-for-a-Wrath-of-the-Righteous-game-as-a-Home) I am thinking OH CRAPAZOLA, how would the fact of this character even existing interact with the world and golarion as a whole.

I just picked Touched by Divnity becuase it seemed nice, i liked the aspect of picked Aroden as the diety selected to add to the mystery of my character;s story, and i wanted to play a Paladin for once in my life.. almost did too, then the DM disappeared :(

Kol Korran
2017-02-06, 01:51 PM
I DMed the AP up to nearly the end of the 4th module, though I've read it fully. I've made quite an extensive log (You can check my extended link). A few things in short:
1- The AP has A LOT of problems. I've made a shorter thread about this awhile ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396097-Wrath-of-the-Righteous-What-changes-have-you-made-to-the-adventure-path-Spoilers!&highlight=what+changes+have+you+made+to) (Note: Plenty of Spoilers!)

2. Yeah, the way the story of the campaign traits was handled was... crappy. That's what you get when different writers write different parts, and then one writer gets stuck with "loose ends" by the first writer.

3. I've made an attempt to tie all of the campaign traits resolutions into one story (I've touched upon this in the log, or one of it's side threads). You can check a somewhat summarized version in the link above (In the adventure paths issues segment, point number 6).
4. I suggest to NOT tie campaign traits to specific mythic paths. Let these be separate. Why?

- Since the mythic paths heavily favors specific type of classes, the players are pigen-holed into a specific trait (Due to wanting to mash the path with their class), and to a specific story element, which they may not like. (The rogues WILL choose Chance encounter. The divine caster WILL choose divinely touched. The arcane caster WILL choose the orphan trait). This forces a story upon the characters not of their choosing!
- The benefit gained from the traits is such an unneeded overkill, due to the class and mythic path specialization, that it's almost never (if at all!) used! (I'm talking on the upgraded traits). One of or characters, due to some strange cicrumstances, got to pick a trait NOT linked to her class, and I let her. She played a sorcerers, who chose the trait (NOT the path) that was originally linked to the guardian path. She was the only one who actually benefited from it.
- If you separate path from trait, you get far, far more interesting characters.

But... My real suggestion?
Don't use the campaign traits at all! In other APs the campaign traits were mostly use to tie the group together at first, and to help tie them somewhat to the story, and perhaps give them some nice little perks. These traits? Fail on all 3 parts. (They may attempt to do so, but fail... quite miserably). Just let the players weave their own cool stories, they will definitely be more interesting than the stuff they put in the AP... If you really want them to have traits, let them have regular traits. Trust me- with mythic options, most likely the special traits will be just added book keeping...

At least my opinion...