PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew magic item (is this broken?)

suplee215
2017-02-04, 07:44 PM
Hello, I am slowly working on my own homebrew (I have never dmed before and only began playing 2 years ago). One of the reasons I want to DM is that I have so many fun ideas (in my opinion anyways) for homebrewed magic items. Vaguely I am probably going to center the universe around a culture that basically worships and build magic items. Not every NPC will be a blacksmith or wizard crafting insane armor but that will probably be who they meet at the higher levels. However, I fear that my ideas might be a little too powerful or not interesting or that basing a homebrew around magic items is just asking for trouble. So I thought I might ask here to see if this item is just too powerful to have in a game or not (expecting this to fully come into play around lvl 12).

Thunder and Lightning (working title): Require attunement (both count as a single attunement). This warhammer and battleaxe are a pair. The two appear lighter and more Celtic or Elvish in design, the handles almost curved in places. They appear to require as much skill as brute strength. Both weapons act as +2 weapons with the finesse property (a single item does not require attunement). While wielded by a single warrior, the increase becomes a +3 to attack and damage rolls and both weapons crit on 1 less than your normal crit range. On a crit, THUNDER deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage and forces the target to make a con saving throw (DC=8+prof+dex or str) or be stunned until the end of your next turn. On a crit, LIGHTNING deals an extra 3d8 lightning damage.

Feel free to respond either to the vague concept of my campaign or to the item I posted (mainly to see if I should tone this down or not). Thanks in advance for any advice.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-04, 08:19 PM
Those are artifact-tier weapons. Hard to say if they are too strong for your game, that very much depend on you. They are very powerful... +3 weapons with extra damage would be great on their own, add finesse, taking only one attunement slot and increased crit range with extra stun, and they are better than any weapon in PHB, but I wouldn't call them broken, basically, all they do is huge damage boost for dex-based dual wielder... not rogue, unless he's a dwarf or gets proficiency in some other way.