PDA

View Full Version : Triple Tier Tournament

emeraldstreak
2017-02-04, 09:09 PM
The Dojo of Stillness

- all walls are made of thick oak
- lighting is daylight-equivalent everywhere
- leaving the premises of the dojo results in disqualification
- you begin at the square marked in blue (N20), the enemy at one in red (M7)

http://i.imgur.com/2bU2VeG.png

J-H
2017-02-04, 09:51 PM
Zephyr

Although nervous, the air goblin prepares himself for the challenge. If he fails but survives, perhaps he will face another foe.

Init [roll0]

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 10:05 AM
All is still and silent. You act first.

J-H
2017-02-05, 12:07 PM
Zephyr

From within his spot in the U-shaped walls, Zephyr slips stealthily forwards, pulling out a bag of caltrops and dumping them on the ground.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Move to M22, lay caltrops in L22.

Stance: Child of Shadow: Move 10', gain concealment (20% miss chance on attack rolls vs. Zephyr, able to Hide)

Counters: Counter Charge (opposed dex checks with Zephyr at +4 to negate charge attacks)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 01:49 PM
Child of Shadow will not let you hide when Hide in Plain Sight would otherwise be required, as clearly stated in the stance's description.

Listen roll during enemy's turn [roll0]

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 01:54 PM
Round 2

Again all is eeriely silent and still. The caltrops glisten on the lacquered wooden floor.

It's Zephyr's turn...

J-H
2017-02-05, 02:29 PM
Zephyr

Zephyr tosses out more caltrops, then silently pads over to the other corner.

Oops, right. Oh well, at least there are walls and corners to hide around.

Caltrops in K22, then move to O22.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Stance: Child of Shadow: Move 10', gain concealment (20% miss chance on attack rolls vs. Zephyr)

Counters: Counter Charge (opposed dex checks with Zephyr at +4 to negate charge attacks)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 03:06 PM
During the enemy's turn, Zephyr listens carefully

[roll0]

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 03:15 PM
Zephyr is certain now! There's an invisible creature somewhere close!

Listen was high enough to alert, but not high enough to pinpoint at +20 DC.

Round 3

Zephyr's turn

J-H
2017-02-05, 03:29 PM
Do I get a rough direction?

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 03:33 PM
Do I get a rough direction?

The check is only slightly higher than the minimum to be alerted at all, but let's say right-ish (and below 30' distance for sure).

J-H
2017-02-05, 03:41 PM
Zephyr
Zephyr moves back into the corner stealthily and prepares to attack.

Move to M20. Readied standard action to charge my opponent if he appears (the walls should keep him in direct line of effect for a charge).
Charge will use Shadow Blade Technique (roll attack twice, 2d20+9; use the higher to-hit roll, or if the lower roll is a total of 20 or higher, I'll use it and gain +1d6 cold damage instead); damage on the charge is 1d4+7

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Stance: Child of Shadow: Move 10', gain concealment (20% miss chance on attack rolls vs. Zephyr)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 04:09 PM
The Air Goblin skulks in wait.

Next, Zephyr overhears an arcane muttering, momentarily followed by a loud bang that hurts his ears. The goblin grips his blade even harder ready to lunge at the assailant - but instead, he feels the hilt fall out of his hand as fingers lose all strength and black spots rapidly grow on the skin.

Zephyr falls to the ground as darkness engulfs him. The last thing he sees is the Invisibility spell dissipating. A dark-clad figure whose face is hidden behind a skull mask appears, one hand extended as it beckons the final wisp of Zephyr's life energy: the Hand of Death.

Zephyr dies to an inflicted negative level. Cause: Fell Drain metamagic on a Sonic Snap cast as 1st level spell prepared under Metamagic School Focus:Evocation.

J-H
2017-02-05, 04:17 PM
Huh, and the description for the guy mentioned arrows.

How does he have access to Invisibility at level 1? A potion is outside WBL, and I cannot think of any LA0 races that have it as a SLA.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 04:28 PM
Huh, and the description for the guy mentioned arrows.

How does he have access to Invisibility at level 1? A potion is outside WBL, and I cannot think of any LA0 races that have it as a SLA.

The arrow guy(girl?) is the third Dagger (who is apparently an annoying stealth sniper)

Invisibility explanation

The Hand of Death cast Invisibility with the aid of the feats Precocious Apprentice and Arcane Mastery.

Now you know of four feats, meaning he is a human or near-human(Azurin, Silverbrow - as we don't use Strongheart Halflings as they are 3.0 content).

PS. While the Dagger builds aren't entirely secret to the optimization community, they are still very good and only those brave enough to face them can ask about their mechanics. The Ultimate Champion is something else: a-never-defeated-build. The only way to learn about him is to face him in battle and decipher whatever you can with Spellcraft, Knowledges, etc.

J-H
2017-02-05, 04:40 PM
Makes sense. At level 1, you can't optimize against everything, and obviously he has a good Spot roll too! I should have popped my smokestick when you said "invisible person" to deny line of sight (for casting) and to help make him visible.

I'd be happy to take on the others and then perhaps try for a rematch if I beat them.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 04:53 PM
Makes sense. At level 1, you can't optimize against everything, and obviously he has a good Spot roll too! I should have popped my smokestick when you said "invisible person" to deny line of sight (for casting) and to help make him visible.

I'd be happy to take on the others and then perhaps try for a rematch if I beat them.

His spot isn't that high. However, he moved (possibly faster than expected) to a square Zephyr had no cover from, and saw the goblin.

At this point a DM could call for a surprise round against you and reroll of Initiative, but it would be all the same. Also, his Initiative is actually very high as he trades Scribe Scroll for a variant with Improved Initiative and has Neverskitter prepared - so LoS+LoE close start arenas also go in his favor most often than not.

Smokestick was a better option, as it would have allowed Zephyr to hide inside.

Fighting the third Dagger may end up really prolonged as both of you try to stay hidden, so we won't do that.

The Brute, however, is all ready to face Zephyr. You have a choice between the dojo and the Alabaster bridge as maps.

J-H
2017-02-05, 05:24 PM
[roll]1d2[/roll
1 dojo
2 bridge

J-H
2017-02-05, 05:30 PM
arrr [roll0]

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 05:35 PM
Dojo it is (you avoid random weather roll per the DMG).

Brute initiative [roll0]

Roll yours and go first if you win.

J-H
2017-02-05, 05:38 PM
Init [roll0]
I go first due to having a higher modifier.

J-H
2017-02-05, 06:00 PM
Zephyr moves to P20 and tosses a set of caltrops into P18.

Not much point in hiding.

Move Silently [roll0]

Move to M22, lay caltrops in L22.

Counters: Counter Charge (opposed dex checks with Zephyr at +4, ie total of +9, to negate charge attacks)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 06:20 PM
First you hear a powerful voice, "A Gibbin'! Out of all da great warriors, dey send a littl' Gibbin' againt me!"

The Brute walks into sight. He wears a rag of a studded leather armor that does little to hide his ripped Water Orc muscles. A heavy piece of dull steel that appears to have seen a hundred battles - must be a greatsword - is clenched in his fist and rests on the shoulder above. His eyes are protected by cheap bamboo shades, probably costing only a silver.

Double move to L13. Round 2, Zephyr's turn.

J-H
2017-02-05, 06:49 PM
Zephyr
Zephyr steps to S20 (putting the caltrops in P18 on an exact diagonal line between himself and the barbarian) and throws a vial of alchemist's fire at his foe. It shatters on impact, bursting into flame that covers the orc.

Ranged touch attack [roll0] (+6, minus 4 for distance penalty - 7x7, pythagoras says that the direct line is just shy of 10 squares or 50'; I get penalties at 10', 20', 30', and 40')

I'm going to call a 21 a hit :) I forgot to roll for the 1d6 fire damage and will let you do that. Alchemists Fire Link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#alchemistsFire)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 07:08 PM
A few clarifications are needed:

- first, a look at the map. Caltrops aren't a hard corner, so perhaps reconsider positioning in order to avoid pounce.

http://i.imgur.com/zzz1k3r.png

- secondly, last action Zephyr threw caltrops. That would have required a hand. I'm presuming he's holding his sword in the other. So if he wants to move and attack, can he draw the alchemist's fire as a swift action? Alternatively, perhaps he started holding the fire and the caltrops, but then he'll be weaponless.

- finally, each range penalty is -2, not -1; still a pretty good roll though

J-H
2017-02-05, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the map. I was looking at empty squares and moving my finger around on my monitor and I got it wrong.

I am not used to being in combat with 0 BAB and being unable to draw a weapon as part of a move action. It looks like I can either not throw the alchemist's fire, or end my turn without a weapon available, and needing to draw a weapon (and not move!) next round. Correct?

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the map. I was looking at empty squares and moving my finger around on my monitor and I got it wrong.

I am not used to being in combat with 0 BAB and being unable to draw a weapon as part of a move action. It looks like I can either not throw the alchemist's fire, or end my turn without a weapon available, and needing to draw a weapon (and not move!) next round. Correct?

Yeah, I guessed you're used to moving&drawing. BAB 0 is strange. But I'm already waiving it for Finesse and I forgot to warn you about announcing what Zephyr holds at start/tracking draws. So as I final option, I can allow for moving&drawing at 0 BAB.

Your choice.

J-H
2017-02-05, 09:03 PM
How about I take the murky-eyed flaw (roll twice take lowest for concealment) and then pick up the Quick Draw feat? Nope, BAB+1 requirement. Darn WOTC.

I guess I should have gone Warblade and taken a bunch of flaws for some extra maneuvers & stances.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 09:13 PM
How about I take the murky-eyed flaw (roll twice take lowest for concealment) and then pick up the Quick Draw feat? Nope, BAB+1 requirement. Darn WOTC.

I guess I should have gone Warblade and taken a bunch of flaws for some extra maneuvers & stances.

2 flaws limit anyway.

J-H
2017-02-05, 09:52 PM
Zephyr

Zephyr steps back to P21 and readies an action to throw the alchemist's fire at the orc if the orc should come into view/range.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-05, 10:25 PM
Zephyr hears the enemy move to somewhere on the other side of the oaken wall. It sounds as just a single move action, meaning the Brute has most likely prepared a Readied Action too.

Your trigger expires and it's your turn again

J-H
2017-02-05, 10:28 PM
Zephyr
Zephyr moves 30' to the east and readies his flask of flaming fluid for flinging.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 06:39 AM
As the Orc advances in sight once again, Zephyr throws the alchemist's fire.

[roll0] (range penalty 4x -2)
[roll1] fire damage

Flames engulf the Brute, but he is not deterred. After his move, he readies a standard attack if the goblin comes into range.

Roll the other 1d6 fire damage on your turn.

http://i.imgur.com/F1bc6Pv.png

J-H
2017-02-06, 08:30 AM
Zephyr backs away while drawing his swords.

[roll0] fire damage.

Move to Y16, standard to draw swords.

Counters: Counter Charge (opposed dex checks with Zephyr at +9 to negate charge attack and reposition the target anywhere within 10' - if I'm successful, I'm going to throw him out of the arena)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 09:11 AM
The Brute frenzies and charges.

Zephyr's counter [roll0] vs [roll1]

(whatever happens it won't be the end)

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 09:17 AM
"Good" snarls the Brute at Zephyr's impeccable martial technique.

"BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!" the Orc yells as foam bursts from his mouth. (The Brute employs Mad Foam Rager to delay the effect of the counter).

Pounce attacks

[roll0] concealment miss on 1-20 [roll1] dmg [roll2]

[roll3] concealment miss on 1-20 [roll4] dmg [roll5]

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 09:20 AM
The Brute's first swing hits only deceptive shadows, but the second one lands true with bone-pulverizing strength. A memory of the Air Goblin will live in yet another scar on the Orc's leathery skin...

J-H
2017-02-06, 10:20 AM
Heh, 0/2. Mad Foam Rager is a handy feat.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 10:31 AM
Heh, 0/2. Mad Foam Rager is a handy feat.

He also had Instantaneous Rage. Even so Zephyr has better chances against the Brute than many builds.

J-H
2017-02-06, 11:04 AM
Yeah, 20% miss chance and counter charge.
If I had been able to strike first, I might have won.

1st level combat is rocket tag, and he had a better rocket.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-06, 01:21 PM
Actually the Champion isn't rocket tag. But that's a story for another time.