PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Augment Crystal Question

Mai
2017-02-04, 10:38 PM
So I am making a character for an epic game and someone threw out this tidbit, paraphrased, "You could get a weapon Crystal for...."

Wait there are augment crystals? I only just found out about those and none of my information sources mention these at all. Is there a list of place I can go that will help me here? I am totally lost. -.- The only official thing I can find is mundane and deep crystals, but that's just what the weapon or such is made out of, not an augment crystal.

Also... If I had a deep crystal axe could I use augment crystals on it? It would be a crystal already...?

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-04, 10:43 PM
Magic item compendium has them

Mr Adventurer
2017-02-04, 10:44 PM
Magic Item Compendium

Mai
2017-02-04, 10:45 PM
I know but I'm literally on 0 income due to medical reasons... I can't afford books. -.- oh well I guess... Hmm

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 10:45 PM
So I am making a character for an epic game and someone threw out this tidbit, paraphrased, "You could get a weapon Crystal for...."

Wait there are augment crystals? I only just found out about those and none of my information sources mention these at all. Is there a list of place I can go that will help me here? I am totally lost. -.- The only official thing I can find is mundane and deep crystals, but that's just what the weapon or such is made out of, not an augment crystal.

Also... If I had a deep crystal axe could I use augment crystals on it? It would be a crystal already...?

Well, you've been told where they are already.... as to what they are:
Basically, crystals you attach to weapons or armor, and (if the weapon or armor meets certain critera about an enhancement bonus) they add a property to the attached thing.

Mai
2017-02-04, 10:52 PM
Thanks. I understand that part my problem is figuring out how to use something I can't find.

I mean.. I get it, d&d needs to make money... But this is 2 editions back... And it really screws poor players.... Oh well.

Lormador
2017-02-04, 11:02 PM
Magic Item Compendium is a good item for a player to get and loan to the DM. I believe there are fully legal downloads available from various vendors.

While some of the crystals (there are armor versions too) you might find too good and/or cheesy, I think they are a good addition to the campaign. They really help melee and ranged combat characters stay relevant. For instance, there's a crystal that basically replaces Ghost Touch, which was a really overpriced +1 ability.

Mai
2017-02-04, 11:11 PM
How do they work? How many can you use at once per item? Do they only last for a specific amount of time?

(I only have internet on my phone and no sd card. I literally do all my posting via phone. XD Hard, but worth it.)

Lormador
2017-02-04, 11:20 PM
I don't think it's right to give the exact rules, but you attach the crystal to a weapon (which can be done quickly) and then wait for an attunement period. This is to prevent casual crystal shuffling.

There are various levels of crystal available, requiring increasingly enchanted weapons to attach them to. There's a whole can of worms there with the use of Greater Magic Weapon to temporarily increase a weapon's bonus and allow powerful crystals to be attached to average weapons.

Mai
2017-02-04, 11:24 PM
Fair enough, that's understandable, thanks anyway.

Jack_Simth
2017-02-04, 11:25 PM
How do they work? How many can you use at once per item? Do they only last for a specific amount of time?
One each. You just attach it to the armor or weapon (Shield too, apparently; I just re-read that section). They're permanent magic items in general, but you can swap them out. There's a fair number of different ones, each with different effects, and most in different power levels.

Deophaun
2017-02-04, 11:39 PM
I don't think it's right to give the exact rules, but you attach the crystal to a weapon (which can be done quickly) and then wait for an attunement period. This is to prevent casual crystal shuffling.
There is no attunement period. Casual shuffling is even their point:

The “swappable” nature of augment crystals also allows a character to be prepared for more eventualities.