PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer spells without Somatic Components

Ryuuk
2007-07-21, 07:02 PM
I'm trying to make an armored Sorcerer//Knight gestalt character. I'm planning on wearing at least Medium armor (Mithril Full plate ftw), so spell failure chance might be a problem. I know I'll get the Still Spell feat, but he's still too low of a level to really take advantage of it so for now I'm trying to avoid spells with Somatic Components.

Could anyone point out some good choices? I don't have Spell Compendium sadly, but I do have access to Races/Completes/Core/PHBII and a few others.

Valairn
2007-07-21, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure if you take the Battle Sorc variant from UA(I believe it grants you the ability to cast in light armor), and then take the feat armored mage, you shouldn't have any issues.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-21, 07:34 PM
Battle Sorcerer is kinda weak.

Go Here (http://www.rpgoracle.com/srd/spellList.html#), select "Spell Search" and check for components "S" "Without", as well as Sor/Wiz. Can also search by level. Checks the SRD for spells.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-07-21, 07:48 PM
Following Jack_Simth's instructions out of pure boredom...

PHB Sor/Wiz Spells Without Somatic Components:
Cantrips: Flare, Light.
1st Level: Feather Fall, Hold Portal, True Strike, Ventriloquism.
2nd Level: Blindness/Deafness, Blur, Darkness, Knock.
3rd Level: Displacement, Suggetion, Tongues.
4th Level: Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Lesser Geas, Shout.
5th Level: Contact Other Plane, Teleport.
6th Level: Geas/Quest, Mass Suggeston.
7th Level: Phase Door, Power Word Blind, Teleport Object, Greater Teleport.
8th Level: Mass Charm Monster, Irresistible Dance, Power Word Stun.
9th Level: Mage's Disjunction, Power Word Kill, Prismatic Sphere, Teleportation Circle, Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee, Wish.

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-21, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to make an armored Sorcerer//Knight gestalt character. I'm planning on wearing at least Medium armor (Mithril Full plate ftw), so spell failure chance might be a problem. I know I'll get the Still Spell feat, but he's still too low of a level to really take advantage of it so for now I'm trying to avoid spells with Somatic Components.

Could anyone point out some good choices? I don't have Spell Compendium sadly, but I do have access to Races/Completes/Core/PHBII and a few others.

If you can, spellsword(Com War) lowers spell failure chance, as does mithral(DMG) and the twilight enchantment(PHB2, under the duskblade). I believe several special qualities from the DMG2 also lower it, but I am not entirely sure( I believe its called feycraft, if that helps)

JellyPooga
2007-07-21, 07:56 PM
Don't forget that you have the option of casting spells with long duration before putting on your armour in the morning...for example, Endure Elements has a 24 hour duration; cast it when you finish preparing/refreshing your spells for the day, but before donning your armour = no ASF. If you're expecting to go into combat in the next couple of hours (in-game time), you can remove your armour, cast a "1 hour/level" spell and put it back on as well...sure, it takes a while, but that buff might mean the difference between victory and death. At higher levels, you can get away with casting just after prepping your spells (as with 24 hour duration ones).

Admittedly, this is only really valid for buff spells, but if your playing a more combat oriented caster, then buffs is primarily what you'll be after (I assume).

Akennedy
2007-07-21, 08:37 PM
If you're a dwarf, you can take one level in The Runesmith (races of stone), replaces all Somatic components with Material ones. - Just a thought.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-21, 08:43 PM

You could stack ASF-reducers.

Thistledown Suit (from RoTW) can be worn under your armor; it increases your ACP by one, reduces your ASF by 5%, and costs a piddling 250 gold.

Feycrafted armor (from the DMGII) also reduces your ASF by 5%, gives you +1 to non-combat Bluff checks, and costs a semi-piddling 500 gold.

I can't find Twilight, for some reason, but it does something similar as well.

EDIT: Hey, ninja'd! Twilight reduces ASF by 10%, and is priced as a +1 enhancement bonus.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-21, 08:47 PM
If you're a dwarf, you can take one level in The Runesmith (races of stone), replaces all Somatic components with Material ones. - Just a thought.
Dwarfs don't make good Sorcerers due to the Charisma penalty.

Would work, though.

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-21, 08:50 PM

Would work, though.

Solution: Be a gold dwarf(in the DMG or the MM), and trade a charisma penalty for a dexterity penalty.

Caelestion
2007-07-21, 08:50 PM
Pshaw! I once played a duergar lich sorcerer... more than once!

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-21, 11:26 PM
Okay... you're trying to cast in Full Plate... there's a way to do this...

First off, +1 Twilight Faycraft Mithral Full Plate. Twilight knocks 10% off, so does Mithral, and Faycraft for another 5%. Now you're down to 10%

Dip a level of Spellsword for 10% reduction to ASF. Congratulations, you're in the clear.

Although if you are wanting to do something like a Sorc//Knight... go Sorc//Pal2/Knight so you can get Cha to your saves. I suggest you go for some obnoxious casting PrC like Iot7V or Incantatrix and switch out Sorc for the PhB II variant which lets you metamagic on the fly.

Zeful
2007-07-22, 12:03 AM
Just some advice I learned from experiance. There a two feats that help any arcane gish build. The first being extend spell, for pushing those hour duration spells long enough to last the whole day, then you don't worry about most somatic components. The second is arcane strike from complete warrior, sacrifice a spell slot to get a +1 for each spell level sacrificed, and +1d4 damage for each spell level sacrificed. Pick up any +10 equivilent weapon--a +1 greatsword/composite longbow and just tack on abilities you'd feel you'd use--and cast extended greater magic weapon on it, instant +14 equivilent weapon, a keen scabbard/ or keen amunition gets you +15 almost instantly.

This is just a thought.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-22, 12:14 AM
I would also like to point out that the Still Spell metamagic obviates somatic spell components. Since you can apply them on the fly with the PhB II variant, have fun with it. Then go Incantatrix so reduce the spell level penalty to 0 so you can apply it to every spell you cast.

Have a nice day.

Anxe
2007-07-22, 12:19 AM
The Battle Caster feat gets rid of Arcane Spell Failure for 1 degree of armor and you can take it multiple times. You'd need proficiency first. I don't know of any good non-somatic spells. I actually don't know of any non-somatics at all that aren't bard spells.

Leon
2007-07-22, 12:42 AM
The Battle Caster feat gets rid of Arcane Spell Failure for 1 degree of armor and you can take it multiple times. You'd need proficiency first. I don't know of any good non-somatic spells. I actually don't know of any non-somatics at all that aren't bard spells.

Where does it say that you can stack it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-22, 03:08 AM
Then go Incantatrix so reduce the spell level penalty to 0 so you can apply it to every spell you cast.

Improved Metamagic (Incantatrix) cannot reduce the "penalty" below 1.

You need Instant Metamagic for that, which is rather limited in terms of daily uses.

Catharsis
2007-07-22, 05:11 AM
You can use the Stalwart Sorcerer class variant from Complete Mage. Its loss of spells known only ever affects your highest spell level, no loss of spells per day, you stay with the weak BAB (like you would care) and get the desired Armored Mage ability that you can expand for Mithral Plate with the Battle Caster feat. Oh, and free Weapon Focus as a welcome gift.

lordhed
2007-07-22, 05:45 AM
You could take 3 levels in the Dragon Devotee PrC from Races of the Dragon, letting you ignore ASF for 0th and 1st level spells. It also gives some fighter bonus feats and some free sorcerer spellcasting levels, and a +2 to STR and CON.