PDA

View Full Version : Prices on building materials

The7thBobba
2017-02-05, 04:19 AM
Hi everyone:smallsmile:

I'm currently playing a wondrous mansion building wizard, but I'm comming up short when it comes to pricing materials.

The last few weeks I've scoured the internet for any tangible records of prices on building materials in the middle ages/rennaisance.
Specifically, I'd really love to know just how pricy glass, marble, and granite was. Lumber and metals can be crudely estimated from items in PHB, but stones and glass completely elude me.

Got any knowledge on this subject?

Hugs and thanks from The7thBobba

Uncle Pine
2017-02-05, 04:48 AM
As a "wondrous mansion building wizard" you'll absolutely love the Stronghold Builder's Guide book. I'm not sure exactly what you need those prices for, but it should get you covered.

Maybe A&EG also has something, but in general you want to remember that in d&d the prices of the materials for any finished good is just half the buying price of that item.

The7thBobba
2017-02-05, 05:07 AM
Hey, Uncle Pine - love the name, btw.

I love that book :) unfortunately t actually holds very little information pertaining to prices of raw materials. There's a section about walls and cost in relation to their material, but not really enough to satisfy me.

I need the prices because this fella procures his raw materials himself(various shape spells, shrink item, and teleport makes for transporting large quatities over long distances very easy), and bases the prices of his services, in part, on the materials(and of course the spells he uses).

Hadn't thought to look there. Thanks :)

Uncle Pine
2017-02-05, 06:03 AM
I remember a section detailing how much % discount you could get with free magical aid (for creating the material, transportation or even shaping the material into the actual building). Assuming for example you'd get a 20% discount on a 10,000 gp wall for having someone conjure the material for free, we can guess said material was worth 2,000 gp. I don't know if this is of any additional help.

The7thBobba
2017-02-05, 06:07 AM
That's a very astute observation! Thank you, my man. That's very usable.