PDA

View Full Version : [3.P][DSP] Expending two Psionic Focuses for an effect

Cieyrin
2017-02-05, 11:39 AM
If a character has two Psionic Focuses currently maintained (via Deep Focus or Psycrystal Containment), it's common practice to expend one while maintaining the other so you can keep your maintain effects while activating an expend. What I'm curious about is if there's any effects out there require you to expend two at once to activate and, if not, what sort of Psionic feat or ability could warrant needing to expend two (and probably require either of the above feats to even qualify to take the ability).
I'm mostly asking towards Soulknives, as they have a couple abilities, like the Dispelling Strike blade skill, that requires expending both psionic focus and psionic strike, so it's a similar idea. If there's other psionic effects outside of Soulknives of similar notion, I'd also be interested in hearing about them. :smallsmile:

Malimar
2017-02-05, 11:42 AM
The traditional use I was aware of for having a second psionic focus is because using a metapsionic feat requires you to expend it, so if you want to apply two metapsionic feats to one power you need to expend two at once.

Psyren
2017-02-06, 01:59 AM
I'm not aware of anything that requires expending two, though I haven't been keeping up with DSP's latest stuff so there may be something I haven't seen. As Malimar noted, it's more of an optional thing that lets you activate two psionic or metapsionic expend abilities (or even psionic + metapsionic) at once. So you could apply both Empower Power and Maximize Power to a single manifestation, or alternatively you could apply Psionic Charge + Deep Impact, or you could do Power Penetration + Power Specialization etc.

Cieyrin
2017-02-06, 10:13 AM
That's kinda what I thought, that there wasn't any single effects where you needed to expend two at once. I realize being able to get two different expend effects is still pretty good. Thanks for the feedback.