PDA

View Full Version : Items for UNDEAD PCs

Basurena
2017-02-05, 01:13 PM
Hi all!

Howdy! I would like to enquire for ideas/sources of official material to create many MANY items for undead PCs, such as ghouls, liches, vampires, ghosts, etc.

I know Libris Mortis has some (very few, in my oppinion) so would be great to get some of your ideas. Feel free to refer me to material in any D&D-like setting or your own. Please bear in mind that they should be low-mid power, rather "fitting" or beneficial for an undead, instead of just overpowered.

Thank you very much!

Jack_Simth
2017-02-05, 01:37 PM
Ghosts especially have difficulties re-equipping. A useful item for them, then, is something that makes it much simpler. So you take an Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists), but give it "Ghost Touch" instead of an enhancement bonus... and then also a Monk's belt, so all of them counts as a weapon. Your ghost is now Ghost Touch, and can manipulate anything they want like normal - theoretically including wearing things (mind you, the stuff they pick up may not become incorporeal, so they may have some problems walking through walls).

Likewise, Ghostwalk has a few useful items for Ghosts as well; a Ring of Manifesting, especially (look up what's meant by "manifest fully" elsewhere in the book). A number of things useful for other undead as well.

A Hat of Disguise is useful for any undead that wants to walk around in polite company.

Eternal Wands (Magic Item Compendium) of useful spells (Disguise Undead, Extended Darkness, Ebon Eyes, Extended Protective Penumbra (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra), Remove Scent, Gentle Repose, and so on) will likely be welcome.

Shalist
2017-02-05, 04:13 PM
BoVD has a cantrip, nolight that prevents normal light sources from illuminating the area. While cantrips make for cheap magic items, the huge downside is that this spell is suppressed by magical light, which could be awkward if you passed by a stray continual flame while walking around during the day.

The (cursed) Amulet of Wicked Darkness (Ravenloft DMG 228; 25,000g) gives the wearer 120' darkvision (or +120'; includes seeing in magical darkness). Tragically, not only does the 'curse' extinguish (or suppress) any magical light within 60' (buh-bye celestial brilliance). It also turns any [light] spell cast within that range to a deeper darkness spell of the same level, which the caster can't see through. It has a few other side affects undead won't care about, such as a sunlight allergy that causes strength damage, or summoning the occasional pack of shadow recruiters.

Really, Ravenloft books in general have lots of interesting material and ideas for undead (or just 'ethically challenged') PCs.

Thurbane
2017-02-06, 05:31 AM
Amulet of Tears (MIC p.70) is a nice source of temporary hit points, which can be handy for undead.

J-H
2017-02-06, 01:08 PM
I have often seen people allow a "belt of negative healing" (same as the one from MIC, but does Inflict Wounds to cure undead).
Lesser Vigor grants fast healing, which works on constructs and undead. Wands of Lesser Vigor are still the best source of non-combat healing.

If you can find a way to get it, Black Sand (Sandstorm) can heal undead.

Zanos
2017-02-06, 04:00 PM
Fast healing works on undead, but lesser vigor targets "living creature touched", so undead are SOL trying to use that. Wands of inflict light wounds are probably the best bet for low level healing, it's hard to beat 2.72 gp per HP with negative energy spells.