PDA

View Full Version : One shot/Once per day ranged attacks?

Zzachary37
2017-02-05, 02:58 PM
I am currently DMing a game with several newer players, and one of them wants to replicate the "Golden Gun" from Destiny, which is basically a once per day ability that deals massive damage as a ranged attack as far as I understand (having never played Destiny). Are there any Item or Feats that could be used to replicate this? I was thinking the Ranged Smite Evil feat from BoED but the character is a rogue and the party faces neutral/good enemies just as much as they do evil ones (being your typical murderhobos and all). I would possibly be open to an ability usable multiple times per day and I could just up the damage and cut the number of uses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2017-02-05, 03:23 PM
Well, you could be an arcane archer and wait for Arrow of Death...

The only downside is being an arcane archer who's waited for Arrow of Death.

Lord Haart
2017-02-06, 06:16 AM
What class is he? A spellcaster (or a psion) can easily prepare a certain description-matching spell in just one slot (or cast it just once oer day, using other slots/PPs on different spells).

Twurps
2017-02-06, 07:08 AM
You could go Peerless Archer (Silver Marches). It has ranged sneak attack, but more importantly: at 3rd level offers a ranged kind power attack.

We can do better, but it will require quite a big part of your build resources:

1)There are some nice spells to improve your ranged damage output:
-hunters mercy(ranger1) turns your next hit into a automatic critical
-find the gap (ranger 3) lets you ignore armor/shield/nat armor for 1 attack.

Ignoring most forms of armor means you can crank up the power attack, but you're still limited to 30ft range to sneak. But:
-snipers shot (ranger 1) lets you sneak attack regardless of distance
-guided shot (ranger 1) lets you ignore distance penalties.
If you can squeeze al these spells into 1 attack (which I believe you can) It's basically an auto-crit at a long distance.

All spells are on the ranger list (I don't think there's another class with all of them on their list), but you could take archivist instead as it can learn all divine spells and has full progression rather than half progression.

finally: 2 levels of deepwood sniper give a ranged form of improved critical, increasing your crit multiplier by 1.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-06, 07:39 AM
After a quick google search, I believe the "Golden Gun" skill from Destiny to be a big gun that shoots big booms of fire.

An eternal wand of fireball (MIC) goes kaboom for 5d6 fire damage 2/day, halved by a Reflex save with DC 14. Therefore, while it would replicate the skill, it sucks.
An eternal wand of scorching ray (MIC) is slightly better while being actually cheaper, if only because you can apply sneak attack to it and offers no save.

Zzachary37
2017-02-06, 12:09 PM
An eternal wand of fireball (MIC) goes kaboom for 5d6 fire damage 2/day, halved by a Reflex save with DC 14. Therefore, while it would replicate the skill, it sucks.
An eternal wand of scorching ray (MIC) is slightly better while being actually cheaper, if only because you can apply sneak attack to it and offers no save.

Huh, that's an interesting idea, I hadn't considered using wands, and being a rogue with UMD it would be perfect for him :D Thanks a bunch!

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-06, 01:21 PM
I would do it as a once per day custom magic item of a single meteor from the meteor swarm spell with the explosion radius reduced to 10ft. I place it roughly at a level 3 spell. It would pair better with his sneak attack and is more of a focused single hit than a giant sphere of fire.

2d6 touch attack, 6d6 explosion damage, no save if the touch attack hits, reflex for half otherwise. 10ft radius on the explosion.

Aetis
2017-02-06, 01:27 PM
Have him take Sudden Maximize.

barakaka
2017-02-06, 10:42 PM
Give him a Command Word cannon that casts Launch Item (FIRE!). Most of the stuff in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?191835-3-5-Land-Mine) is launch-able. Explosive Packs can be launched to take down structures if made right.

Rerednaw
2017-02-07, 01:22 AM
I am currently DMing a game with several newer players, and one of them wants to replicate the "Golden Gun" from Destiny, which is basically a once per day ability that deals massive damage as a ranged attack as far as I understand (having never played Destiny). Are there any Item or Feats that could be used to replicate this? I was thinking the Ranged Smite Evil feat from BoED but the character is a rogue and the party faces neutral/good enemies just as much as they do evil ones (being your typical murderhobos and all). I would possibly be open to an ability usable multiple times per day and I could just up the damage and cut the number of uses. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Is it inate ability tied to a spell? Then the aforementioned feat sudden maximize fits.

Is it an item? Then custom magic item. Spell level x caster level x 1/5 (1/ day) x 2000 gp. So it could be anything from snowball to meteor swarm...as long as he has the gp.

ShurikVch
2017-02-07, 07:04 AM
Dragon #321 have two PrCs: Infused Warrior and Infused Spellcaster - they are mostly the same, except Infused Warrior have full BAB, d12, and good Fort., and Infused Spellcaster - 3/4, d8, good Will, and 5/10 CL progression
So, Celestial Power IV (at capstone) - if "your" Celestial is Solar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar), then you will be able 1/day to make one of your arrows count as Slaying Arrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#slayingArrow).
(Keyed creatures for Slaying Arrow designate when you use Celestial Power IV)
Reminder: unlike numerous other SoD effects, Slaying Arrow works just fine against Constructs and Undead (but not against living creatures who are under magical protection)