PDA

View Full Version : Who gets to know when you roll on the wild magic table?

MustacheManny
2017-02-05, 03:37 PM
If I were playing a wild magic sorcerer and ended up rolling on the wild magic table would I get to see the effects of my roll or would the DM keep it to himself until it came into play? For example, I would know immediately if I turn into a potted plant because the DM would make that clear as soon as I rolled it. However, if I say was immune to the effects of intoxication for 5d4 number of days then would they tell me or would I have to find out on my own?

RSP
2017-02-05, 04:45 PM
I'm afb but I think it states you roll, but correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I'm pretty sure the intent is you know, though if a table likes to RP through unknown situations, you certainly could go that route.

A lot of the effects are obvious, so I think it comes down to whatever is more fun: knowing that you're immune to intoxication, and RPing beating the hardiest dwarves in drinking contests, possibly forcing them to shave their beard; or having nothing happen, and the DM slips in some hints as to the effect?

Wild Magic is already pretty DM dependent so I'd just clarify it with them before rolling a WM Sorc, but I'd say you know.

Dalebert
2017-02-05, 04:56 PM
I don't think it's specified and thus it's as you described. The DM can choose not to tell you if there is no immediate noticeable effect like the intoxication one.

That said, as a DM, I typically have enough to keep up with and I'm not a computer. Odds are VERY good I'm going to forget the effect when the time comes. Even if it's short term I might forget. For instance, if it says roll a wild surge at the start of your turn for the next ten minutes, I might still forget to do that in the heat of juggling many actions during a combat. For my own sanity, I'll probably just tell them everything so they can help me remember.