PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 1 level dip: Monk or UnMonk?

digiman619
2017-02-05, 07:31 PM
I am currently making a character and plan on him starting as a monk before going soulknife at level 2. I'm taking an archetype for regular monks, but have the DM's permission to apply it to UnMonk if so desired (Monk of the Silver Fist if you're curious). Seeing as I'm only going to be there for 1 level, and the archetype trades pretty much everything away, which of the two versions should I use?

TheIronGolem
2017-02-05, 07:38 PM
Personally I'd go UnMonk to keep your BAB intact, but then again I have more attachment to full BAB than is entirely rational.

Sayt
2017-02-05, 08:22 PM
With the archetype exception you've gotten from your GM, uMonk, unquestionably. Better HP, better BAB, easier+better flurry. You lose out on +2 to Wis but... just take Iron will if you feel like you're going to miss it.

digiman619
2017-02-05, 09:28 PM
With the archetype exception you've gotten from your GM, uMonk, unquestionably. Better HP, better BAB, easier+better flurry. You lose out on +2 to Wis but... just take Iron will if you feel like you're going to miss it.

Except MotSF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/dreamscarred-press---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-silver-fist-monk-archetype) trades away flurry of blows.

Geddy2112
2017-02-05, 11:34 PM
Since soulknives have strong will saves, and you want to continue your full BAB trend in a martial class, I would go Umonk.

Eldaran
2017-02-06, 02:18 AM
So the only difference here is +1 BAB or +2 will save. The Umonk has better proficiencies, but since you're going Soulknife that's mostly irrelevant. It's like the difference between Weapon Focus and Iron Will, except that Weapon Focus also gives you more attacks at certain levels. Considering Weapon Focus is a lot more popular than Iron Will, the choice seems clear.

Duskwolf
2017-02-10, 08:14 AM
Consider if you will, the perfectly legal yet amusing MADman monk archetype from dreamscarred press.