PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Starjammer is out!

EisenKreutzer
2017-02-05, 07:42 PM
Starjammer (https://www.opengamingstore.com/collections/premier-partners/products/starjammer-core-rulebook) is out! I just purchased it and am reading through it now. I'm only in the race section at the very beginning of the book, but this looks really promising! I'm excited to see how this combines with Starfinder! They are apparently communicating with Paizo so they can update the book and make it as compatible as possible, which I think is absolutely great!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this book yet?

legomaster00156
2017-02-05, 08:26 PM
Haven't purchased it, but my entire online group is very interested.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-05, 08:42 PM
What is this? Is this an adaptation of the Starjammer game setting? Is it connected to Starfinder at all?

Malimar
2017-02-05, 08:47 PM
What is this? Is this an adaptation of the Starjammer game setting? Is it connected to Starfinder at all?

It appears to be a third-party thing capitalizing on both old Spelljammer and new Starfinder. Like the cheapo knockoff "mockbusters" that come out close to big movies to try to fool people.

Not having read it myself, I can't make any judgements as to any actual qualities it may or may not possess.

EisenKreutzer
2017-02-05, 08:55 PM
It appears to be a third-party thing capitalizing on both old Spelljammer and new Starfinder. Like the cheapo knockoff "mockbusters" that come out close to big movies to try to fool people.

Not having read it myself, I can't make any judgements as to any actual qualities it may or may not possess.

Ehhhh.. No.

These guys started working on Starjammer before Paizo announced Starfinder. In fact, this book was originally titled Starfinder before they got in touch with Paizo and hashed out the details of their cooperation with them.
In essence, Starjammer is it's own thing completely unrelated to Starfinder. Convergent evolution, as it were.

However, once Paizo got in touch they came to an agreement. Paizo will let d20pfsrd Publishing get access to their development process, and Starjammer will eventually be updated to be fully compatible with Starfinder with Paizos cooperation and blessing.
Eventually, Starjammer will be a companion piece to Starfinder, sharing rules, systems and design.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-02-05, 09:10 PM
I wonder what the difference will be between it and Starfinder. I'll keep my eye on this.

Psyren
2017-02-06, 12:06 AM
Given that the PFSRD guy(s) worked on this themselves, any chance of it getting uploaded? Or failing that, was there some kind of public playtest you could link me to?

I'm a "try before you buy" kind of person, or at the very least I prefer significant word of mouth before buying something blind.

animewatcha
2017-02-06, 12:45 AM
So Paizo ( 2nd party ) is to WOTC during 3.5 as Starjammer is to Starfinder?

Psyren
2017-02-06, 01:30 AM
So Paizo ( 2nd party ) is to WOTC during 3.5 as Starjammer is to Starfinder?

In publishing, the 2nd party refers to the consumer, aka you. A 3rd-party publisher who has a special arrangement with the 1st-party publisher but remains a separate entity is still 3rd-party.

digiman619
2017-02-06, 03:22 AM
In publishing, the 2nd party refers to the consumer, aka you. A 3rd-party publisher who has a special arrangement with the 1st-party publisher but remains a separate entity is still 3rd-party.

So does that make homebrew 2nd party? :smallconfused:

Zombimode
2017-02-06, 04:02 AM
Yes, that is exactly the meaning of "2nd Party material" (despite how many People misuse the term "2nd Party"...)

Psyren
2017-02-06, 04:18 AM
So does that make homebrew 2nd party? :smallconfused:

Basically, yes.