PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Curse of Strahd Class Assistance

Legato Endless
2017-02-05, 08:26 PM
Greetings. I've just joined my first game of 5e. Build advice for levels 2 and up and Party Composition insight would be welcome.

I'm coming into a game where the last group was total party killed and the DM, adjusting nothing, has started on a new group after they declined to retry. I'm not entirely sure if he amped anything up from the normal adventure, but I'm treating this as a step above the average adventure path, so tactical building assistance would be helpful. After the first session, we're also adding another person to the group, for a 5 member party. Any insight if necessary for a class suggestion there would also be appreciated, the 5th guy is a long term role player but he's new to DnD. Sword Coast is allowed, Unearth Arcana and any third party is not.

My Paladin:
Half Elf (cha bonus and 2 skills, pretty straightforward default choice)
Haunted One Background
Point Buy:

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 9
Wis 10
Cha 16

Trained: Athletics, Insight, Percept, Persuade, Survival

As I'm the only front liner currently, I'm going Sword and Board (battle axe for versatile) and thinking Dueling for lvl 2. Oath is somewhat up to consideration, but RP purposes I won't do Vengeance as I'm already playing an Inquisitor of a similar bent in a Pathfinder game. I'm leaning Devotion, although the Ancient's half damage feature at 7 seems pretty potent. I'd kind of like to multi class, but I'm not sure it's optimal compared to straight levels for game that doesn't go beyond 10. Would Sorcerer 1-3 be worthwhile? If so, how much, and when should I take them?

The group is as follows: A Fiend pact Human Warlock, the returning player from the last game, standard ranged artillery. A Mountain Dwarf crossbow wielding Rogue. I was hoping for melee backstabbing support, but apparently not. And a human light domain cleric who looks and acts more like a Wizard. He dumped Strength entirely, and his Con is 10! Wisdom and Int are his two favored stats. The Rogue and I have decent Con of 14, but the Warlock and Cleric apparently felt they could get a pass with 10. This is usually a terrible idea in previous editions, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

Currently I'm leaning toward asking if the 5th player would take a fighter/barbarian or maybe a bard for the classic 5th, but again as a first timer I don't know what holds true from various previous editions and what doesn't.

Any advice much appreciated.

EDL
2017-02-05, 09:27 PM
You should start with Pal 2, divine smite is to good to ignore it. And if you are a main front liner, I would consider taking Defense instead of Dueling, this extra AC might save your life.
As for further development, there are options. Pal\Sorc is a strong combo, but IMO it starts working pretty late so you might feel falling behind till lvl 8 or so.
Another classic option is taking 2-3 warlock levels. It can give you a decent ranged attack, rechargeable spell slots for your divine smite and some extra spells for more versatility.
Overall for 10 lvl cap campaign i'd recommend going Paladin 6 (7 for Ancients) cause extra attack and aura are great. There you can decide weather you need faster ASI (Paladin 8) or some extra casting abilities.

djreynolds
2017-02-06, 04:47 AM
Devotion paladins get auras at 6th, 7th, and 10th, aura of devotion and courage are huge as is aura of protection... you will need these

My advice is grab shield master, for the shove and pseudo-evasion will help out with your dex score and then plus up charisma

Byke
2017-02-06, 09:15 AM
If you are the sole front liner, Crown has a great channel that will keep baddies off your back line. Highly underrated.

Are you going full paladin or thinking of multi-classing?

jaappleton
2017-02-06, 09:22 AM
Devotion is a great option here. +Cha to attack rolls can be superior to Vengeance's CD ability, since Devotion's applies to anyone as opposed to Vengeance with is strictly one target. Also, Devotion prevents Charms at lv7... In a world of vampires, that's a very solid ability. And they get Turn the Unholy, which in Strahd will be a damn fine ability.

I'm not knocking Ancients, it's a very good Oath. I really adore its flavor, especially.

But for this campaign? Devotion.

Specter
2017-02-06, 09:24 AM
You're missing a skill, half-elf gives you two. Might I suggest Religion?

Go Paladin all the way. All oaths will be nice. Make sure the party is always near you to benefit from CHA to saves and the rest.

tieren
2017-02-06, 09:30 AM
Have the 5th player go barbarian so he'll be safe from the mind control/charm while raging.

jaappleton
2017-02-06, 09:33 AM
Have the 5th player go barbarian so he'll be safe from the mind control/charm while raging.

That's actually a solid idea. Plus, you don't want to be the ONLY frontline fighter; It doesn't take much to have someone get by yourself to get to the casters and squishier characters. Having another character to take some hits is a solid way to go.

Legato Endless
2017-02-06, 08:11 PM
Many thanks for the sage advice.

Another classic option is taking 2-3 warlock levels. It can give you a decent ranged attack, rechargeable spell slots for your divine smite and some extra spells for more versatility.

A ranged attack would be spiffy, unfortunately the DM has kiboshed this suggestion. He doesn't think a Devotion Paladin would form a pact with anyone. Ancients-ArchFey is the only combination he thinks gels thematically. Along a similar line, Crown/Vengeance-Great Old One would be verboten. Crown for the threat to civilization nature, and Great Old One being usually the greater evil for Vengeance being a compromise too far. *shrugs* The DM gives and he takes away.

Are you going full paladin or thinking of multi-classing?

I quite like multi classing, and after switching from 3.5 to 3.P I've missed cramming classes together, but the current consensus leans straight paladin. I'll probably be back here for the next Campaign that does goes past 10.

Devotion paladins get auras at 6th, 7th, and 10th, aura of devotion and courage are huge as is aura of protection... you will need these

My advice is grab shield master, for the shove and pseudo-evasion will help out with your dex score and then plus up charisma

Ah cool. Clarification: Can I shove the enemy prone and then attack, or do I have to shove after making the attack? Bonus actions can normally happen anytime, but the wording is slightly ambiguous here. Does the shove require the attack first to trigger?

You're missing a skill, half-elf gives you two. Might I suggest Religion?

Ah thanks. Missed that.

Yeah, the Half Elf resistance against Charm seemed ideal for this Campaign. I asked him but got shot down. He didn't like the barbarian's flavor and would prefer some kind of fighter.

djreynolds
2017-02-07, 10:12 AM
Yes you may shove first, when you take the attack action you are givenot a bonus action to shove, that bonus action can come whenever.

SPOILERS AHEAD.....

Strahd has high DC, so it's imperative you are always upright