PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Human or Skinwalker?

Togath
2017-02-05, 08:28 PM
So I'm making a character...
And torn between a human and a human-looking(when not shifted) bloodmarked(bat) skinwalker.
Anyone have input?
On one hand, I have a human with higher wisdom, the same dex, lower int, and an extra feat...
While the bloodmarked skinwalker has +2 to perception(at night) and fly, lowlight vision, obscuring mist 1/day, and one of four buffs(bite attack, +4 perception, scent, or ignoring the first 20ft I fall), and a feat(that I could select) that lets them beastshape into a bat at will.
Class-wise, I'm an unchained rogue, favoring dex, cha(ki stuff, plus possibly a swashbuckler dip), and int.

Geddy2112
2017-02-05, 08:35 PM
Getting flight at level 1, even if as just a bat, is pretty incredible. Having the claw/claw/bite for a rogue is also good, extra attacks to pile on the sneak attack damage.

Psyren
2017-02-05, 10:34 PM
As noted OP - in order to fly as a werebat you actually need the Bat Shape feat. You can get this at level 1 if you really want to, just note that this puts you two feats behind a Human (no bonus feat, and then using your starting feat on your bat form instead of having it available for prereqs etc.)

This form however doesn't seem well-suited for combat. It works as Beast Shape 2, meaning you'll be Tiny (which is a bit odd, since bats are actually Diminutive, though that would be even worse) - which means you have 0 reach. Without reach, you can't flank, which makes Sneak Attack that much harder to pull off.

Now, I'm not saying that being able to turn into a bat at-will is a bad idea for a thief - rather, getting that to start with rather than picking up things like Skill Focus: Stealth (necessary for HS/DP) more quickly may not be the best use of your feat progression from the get-go.

Togath
2017-02-06, 05:49 AM
That's honestly the conclusion I came to too, Psyren.
The big feat cost of trying to fly that way(when I'm already slightly behind on feats due to my odd step up/press to the wall/combat stamina/possessed hand build) is really too much. Especially since if I really really ever need to fly somewhere, our cavalier has a burly griffin.