PDA

View Full Version : Strategy RPG creator

Maryring
2017-02-05, 10:11 PM
The recent release of Fire Emblem Heroes reminded me that there's an interesting engine out there called SRPG Studio for the creation of Strategy RPG games. Unfortunately, the engine also seems to be in Japanese only. A name I am very much not familiar with.

So I was wondering. Are there any other SRPG engines out there that is available? I'm looking for a proper engine. Not a FE romhack either. So if anyone has any suggestions beyond twiddling thumbs and hoping that SRPG Studio ever gets a western release, I'm all ears.

Alent
2017-02-05, 10:25 PM
S/RPG Tsukuru 95 was a thing and had a decent english hack, if I recall correctly. It's been quite a while tho'. It didn't work too bad, someone did a FE Gaiden remake in it at one point that looked good, all engine variances considered.

Another prospect that you might look into is Ren'Py. There's an S/RPG engine (http://eviscerate.net/article/rpg-battle-engine-renpy) someone pieced together for it, although I can't offer any commentary on how well it works.

S/RPG Studio is the one that was used for Vestaria Saga, right? If so, getting an official English release is EXTREMELY unlikely, the dev team seems extremely terrified of the west for some reason.

Tono
2017-02-06, 06:01 AM
I think there were also some Scripts in RPG Maker ... I want to say VX? That allowed you piece together something. Cant say specifics, its been years since I even looked at that.

danzibr
2017-02-06, 01:39 PM
Oh huh. Never heard of such a thing, interesting.

I'm going to make an SRPG (someday!), but using GameMaker. Currently working on a different project, which is going well.

Alent
2017-02-06, 08:10 PM
Hmm... I had a recollection after posting that last night, but it seems fruitless. Someone made a fairly good Advanced Wars clone in VERGE years back, but it appears that he never finished it, nor did he release his source. :smallfrown:

Oh huh. Never heard of such a thing, interesting.

I'm going to make an SRPG (someday!), but using GameMaker. Currently working on a different project, which is going well.

We may have to make a "I'm going to make an S/RPG!" club. :smallamused:

danzibr
2017-02-06, 08:46 PM
We may have to make a "I'm going to make an S/RPG!" club. :smallamused:
Hehe, sign me up!

Lacuna Caster
2017-02-07, 06:01 AM
Hanako Games apparently do a lot of work in RenPy, FWIW.

I folks are working on SRPGs, can I get some links?

Gamer
2017-02-09, 02:46 AM
With those app you cannot make a really great game ... mainly because poor graphic and lack of ability to develop hardcore feature.

Alent
2017-02-09, 04:58 AM
Hanako Games apparently do a lot of work in RenPy, FWIW.

Is that the company of another playgrounder?

I folks are working on SRPGs, can I get some links?

I wish I were far enough along to actually give a link, mine's still paper concept stage right now, and I'm going to need to commission 3D artists to do what I want, so for now... I just don't have the money to make it. :smallfrown:

I'm working on a few lower barrier of entry projects to try to fix the funds problem- an arcade shooter, a metroidvania, some VNs, etc. I hope to start a devlog for the Metroidvania soon, I just need to get a little more progress and get some IRL problems squared away.

Lacuna Caster
2017-02-10, 06:13 AM
With those app you cannot make a really great game ... mainly because poor graphic and lack of ability to develop hardcore feature.
I am baffled by how this poster was banned so quickly, but anyway:

I imagine these 'RPG DIY kits' would still be very useful for protoyping, and I'd say a skilled 2D artist could still produce pretty attractive results. You're never gonna draw in the AAA crowd, but maybe something like Darkest Dungeon isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Is that the company of another playgrounder?
Not to my knowledge, but she's known for (http://www.hanakogames.com) producing anime-themed narrative-centric games with some interesting mechanical twists.

I'm eventually hoping to plug in 3D art for my own project as well (largely because navigating 3D space is actually intended as a significant gameplay feature,) but all the advice I've gotten recommends prototyping with simple graphics until you have the core gameplay nailed down and enough user feedback to be confident about it's direction.

Still, no harm in starting small. A metroidvania could be neat.

Alent
2017-02-10, 08:15 AM
I imagine these 'RPG DIY kits' would still be very useful for protoyping, and I'd say a skilled 2D artist could still produce pretty attractive results. You're never gonna draw in the AAA crowd, but maybe something like Darkest Dungeon isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Agreed. The genre's fanbase is extremely loyal to the genre and from my perception we're starved enough for quality releases that even a well done RPGmaker game would be openly welcomed.

Not to my knowledge, but she's known for (http://www.hanakogames.com) producing anime-themed narrative-centric games with some interesting mechanical twists.

I'm eventually hoping to plug in 3D art for my own project as well (largely because navigating 3D space is actually intended as a significant gameplay feature,) but all the advice I've gotten recommends prototyping with simple graphics until you have the core gameplay nailed down and enough user feedback to be confident about it's direction.

Still, no harm in starting small. A metroidvania could be neat.

Ah, okay. I knew there were one or two people around here that used RenPy, so I thought I'd ask.

Yeah, Grey box prototyping is a good practice, I'm just looking ahead to the larger development cycle. I want to be able to go from greybox to rough art assets as early as is reasonable. Especially since for the kind of 3D I want to do, I think I'm going to need roughs of the player models just for the mood and personality.

For my game, I'm worried about 3D for out of combat as much as in, I want to go with the hybrid RPG+SRPG w/ same UI concept Shining Force had going for it, since I'm worried about player immersion.

All in all, it feels a bit ambitious for a first project, hence part of the motivation for the others.

danzibr
2017-02-10, 10:08 AM
Agreed. The genre's fanbase is extremely loyal to the genre and from my perception we're starved enough for quality releases that even a well done RPGmaker game would be openly welcomed.
I've played several RPGMaker games that I've enjoyed more than commercial (is that the right word?) games.

For my game, I'm worried about 3D for out of combat as much as in, I want to go with the hybrid RPG+SRPG w/ same UI concept Shining Force had going for it, since I'm worried about player immersion.
Love me some Shining Force. Playing through II with my son now, just got Chaz. Going to level him up a bit for some Boltage.

I was intending my game to be similar. Currently working on an RPG (ran into troubles with the world map, but that's all squared away, next up I'm going to do menu stuff, stats, inventory). After this, SRPG. Lots of plans, play as a Necromancer with an army of undead.

Knaight
2017-02-10, 11:07 AM
I've played several RPGMaker games that I've enjoyed more than commercial (is that the right word?) games.

It might be. If you're referring to the category of games sold for money, then yes. If you're referring to the category of games built without tools like RPGMaker, then the various free games that were built in their free engines come to mind. Take Battle for Wesnoth - some of the campaigns push hard on the border of SRPG, and it's a custom system which is free.

Alent
2017-02-10, 04:57 PM
Love me some Shining Force. Playing through II with my son now, just got Chaz. Going to level him up a bit for some Boltage.

Cool, I haven't poked my head in that thread for a little bit.

Yeah, the primary thing I plan on emulating from Shining Force is the ubiquity of the UI. Walking around or in battle, your interface and menu remains the same, and if you factor in the lack of UX from the old genesis/SNES era, it was pretty snappy. I have a bunch of fun ideas for taking advantage of that ubiquity of menu combined with a more modern menu system to cut down on the number of choices and speed up gameplay.

Advance Wars was brilliant in this regard, Wars games before it used the FE menu system and were rather slow paced. (Ken Howard reportedly once had a 9 hour long game of Superfami Wars against one of the NCL highups back when it was new.)

I was intending my game to be similar. Currently working on an RPG (ran into troubles with the world map, but that's all squared away, next up I'm going to do menu stuff, stats, inventory). After this, SRPG. Lots of plans, play as a Necromancer with an army of undead.

If you haven't tried them already, you should play either Langrisser 2 or Der Langrisser. (Same game, sort of.) They have a really fascinating Character + Minion leadership model that I think might give you ideas.

danzibr
2017-02-10, 08:54 PM
If you haven't tried them already, you should play either Langrisser 2 or Der Langrisser. (Same game, sort of.) They have a really fascinating Character + Minion leadership model that I think might give you ideas.
Noted, thanks!