PDA

View Full Version : Romancing the factorum NPC

kingdaughter
2007-07-21, 08:17 PM
Hey all,

The DM (my boyfriend) has created a NPC, a factorum (from the Dungeonscape book... basically a int-based jack-of-all-trades)... and I've been looking for a NPC to flirt with... However, I'd like to make things humerous so that the rest of my party will find it amusing.
My character is a half-elf ranger, werebear.

Here's the problem: I'm fresh out of funny flirting ideas for this situation. All I've come up with is bringing him something I've hunted. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
kingdaughter

cody.burton
2007-07-21, 08:23 PM
"It's that time of the month again..." <turns into giant bear>

Iku Rex
2007-07-21, 08:59 PM
Grizzly bear basics: mating (http://www.canadianrockies.net/Grizzly/mating.html)

Not surprisingly, male and female grizzly bears usually spend at least a few days testing one another before mating occurs. This type of interaction is important when getting to know an animal that is strong enough to injure or even kill you. The two bears may chase each other, play fight or even nuzzle and lick each other once they are aquainted. The outcome of this process may be rejection or the formation of a pair bond that lasts from several days to a couple of weeks.
Attempts to engage in proper bear courtship could be amusing. You could add a humanoid twist by trying to compete with him at everything (testing his "strength") and starting silly arguments (playfighting). Not sure if nuzzling and licking qualifies as flirting. :smallsmile:

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-21, 09:00 PM
Build a mini-dungeon, just for him, to capture his heart...

Or, if that fails, just capture him with it and sing love sonnets through the pit trap's barred window.

Superglucose
2007-07-21, 09:08 PM
I'm going to assume you are playing a female character, and the NPC is male.

Take the old classic (buying a drink for the cute girl) and whirl it arround, so the cute girl is buying the drink for the guy.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-21, 09:15 PM
Try to get the other PCs involved? Act shy around him until they can't stand it anymore and purposely try to hook you up?

I've found that parties have the most fun with romances when they find a way to contribute or, better yet, they think it's their idea in the first place.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-21, 09:22 PM
Bring things you've killed as a trophy :P

Raiser Blade
2007-07-21, 09:24 PM
didnt she already say that in post numero uno

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-21, 09:39 PM
She'd have to do it right. Follow the 3-step gag.

First step is reasonable. "Here's a rabbit I caught. You want supper?"

Second step is a taste of things to come. "Here's a dozen fish. Hope you're hungry..."

Third step is the punchline. "Here's a deer, dear. How much venison you want?"

And, of course, she devours most of it anyway, leaving the factotum to look on wide-eyed.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-21, 09:42 PM
It has come to my attention that I do in fact, suck.

Superglucose
2007-07-21, 09:53 PM
Better yet... if the NPC has a dog, hunt the dog and say "I saw it snooping around your house... thought it might be up to no good"

Granted it wouldn't make him fall in love with you, but it'd be the funniest hting I've ever heard of in DnD :smallwink:

Starsinger
2007-07-21, 09:57 PM
Hey all,

The DM (my boyfriend) has created a NPC, a factorum (from the Dungeonscape book... basically a int-based jack-of-all-trades)... and I've been looking for a NPC to flirt with... However, I'd like to make things humerous so that the rest of my party will find it amusing.
My character is a half-elf ranger, werebear.

Here's the problem: I'm fresh out of funny flirting ideas for this situation. All I've come up with is bringing him something I've hunted. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
kingdaughter

Reminds me of a similar predicament my one Elven wizard was in... Anyways, on to the topic at hand... You should totally growl the next time another female talks to him.

kingdaughter
2007-07-23, 09:42 PM
Thanks for all the help!
Seeing as my party refused to stop trying to kill him when he was merely disarming us, I don't think they'll be much help...

Actually, seeing as we managed to avoid a confrontation by the barbarian mooning a necromacer in broad daylight... they won't be much help.

But... the growling around other women, and the bear courtship behaviours seem rather promising.

And thanks for reiterating my idea, now I have more confidence that it's a good one, Xuincherguixe.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes after next session (which will hopefully be next Tuesday)

2007-07-23, 10:09 PM
Grizzly bear basics: mating (http://www.canadianrockies.net/Grizzly/mating.html) Not sure if nuzzling and licking qualifies as flirting. :smallsmile:

We can wish.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-23, 10:27 PM
Oddly enough, the only character romance any of my characters has had actually went mostly the opposite way. My character ended up falling in love with a girl who in the short version was a unicorn. The long version is both far more disturbing in execution, but far less wrong in actual action. It was a classic story of boy meets girl. The way that one worked out was that:

1. Boy sympathizes with girl's plight of being the only not annoying bimbo in her family.
2. Boy is forced into brief interlude by insane grandma that wants a boyfriend for her daughters.
3. Boy explains sympathy for situation, but explains that as an adventurer, he's not interested in this festival he's in an doesn't really feel comfortable in this situation.
4. Girl makes sarcastic comment.
5. Boy makes sarcastic comment.
6. Boy gets into a LOT of trouble. Kidnapped by Girl's psycho sisters. Sees girl as only intelligent person in village that will help him escape throngs of stupid aggressive girls.
7. Girl agrees... for 500 gold... after the favor...
8. Boy has 107 gold.
9. Girl agrees for a favor then. Girl also tells Boy how to cure his horrendous curse he's gotten... for another favor.
10. Boy tries desperately to win cure for curse in series of carnival games through creative cheating.
11. Girl bests Boy in every category except a battle of wits where the boy ties.
12. Bounty hunter wins cure.
13. Bounty hunter refuses to share cure.
14. Girl tells Boy to find the unicorn to cure him.
15. Boy finds Girl.
16. Boy realizes Girl is unicorn.
17. Boy is slightly flustered when Girl reveals that Boy has been cured since pie-eating contest and he just has some disturbing mental images.
18. Girl gets ambushed.
19. Boy falls unconscious shielding girl with body.
20. Girl heals boy.
21. Boy falls unconscious again buffing party and holding his ground.
22. Boy is indebted to freakin' Girl for entire campaign.

Match made in heaven really.

How does this apply to your situation? Well, I figure you could always intentionally get him into a scenario where he'll get in trouble (even if you have to set it up yourself), and then you can go ahead and agree to help for a favor. Then, you just get to hold him to that favor forever. Have fun.

Matthew
2007-07-24, 10:11 PM
How about flirting with the other Characters to make him jealous?

kingdaughter
2007-08-03, 11:18 PM
Hey, we had a session on Tuesday night.
We tried to work on breaking into to jail.
I ended up with a lot of RP XP... for dousing the mage in cheep bear so no one would believe him if he revealed our plan...
And starting a rumor to draw out a prideful NPC to help us...
But no opportunity for flirting.

I did however, make the DM roll a Knowledge Nature check for his factorum, and then gave him the appropriate amount of information, based on the site to which Iku Rex linked. Because it's spring in our campaign. Whee!
And there's two moons. Double fun!
So, another session in two weeks, and hopefully we'll get (i.e. role-play out) some down-time.

~kingdaughter