PDA

View Full Version : Non shape-shifting druid

Doomwhispo
2017-02-06, 07:44 AM
Guys please help me out. I was thinking of playing a druïd. But I'm not that much in to the shape-shifting subclass.
How good is the circle of the land option compared to other classes? Does it fair well in damage and versatility? Specially compared to other casters like sorcerer or cleric?
Also any tips on good race or ability combination are welcome... my group is pretty busy with optimisation most of the time so I don't wanna end up with a weakling.

hymer
2017-02-06, 07:53 AM
Land druids are perfectly viable, and for most of the game more effective PCs than moon druids (opinions differ on the specifics, but I think the described is the majority opinion).
As for damage, no druid does particularly well in that department, unless you count minionmancy, or look at damage per spell slot rather than damage per round.
A good race would be a wood elf, and in that case the ability priority would be something like wis>dex=con>int=cha>str. Or to put it in 27 point buy terms (going off memory), Str 8, Dex 14+2, Con 15, Int 10 (or 8), Wis 15+1, Cha 8 (or 10).

May I suggest looking at my druid handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon)?

Cespenar
2017-02-06, 08:00 AM
Summary: Their damage spells aren't so good, but they shine in versatility and challenge-solving spells. Also, their summons may break encounters.

X3r4ph
2017-02-06, 08:02 AM
You could remove Wild Shape and add Metamagic instead. Should be fine.

Or, grab an Archetype from another class along with most (or all) of its features.
That new Primal Guardian thing from the new UA Ranger Archetype. That should be fine flavor wise.
Or maybe a Cleric domain? Or Wizard school?

Kobard
2017-02-06, 09:06 AM

Or, grab an Archetype from another class along with most (or all) of its features.
That new Primal Guardian thing from the new UA Ranger Archetype. That should be fine flavor wise.
Or maybe a Cleric domain? Or Wizard school?Perhaps a spiritual animal companion? And then you could opt that you use Wild Shape feature to alter the spirit companion.

Another option is giving the druid the cleric's channel divinity and the nature cleric's CD feature.

I don't know how any of this would balance though.

JellyPooga
2017-02-06, 10:02 AM
Play a Lore Bard with heavy druidic leanings; their spell list already has a few good contenders and Magical Secrets should round you out nicely. Grab Outlander or Hermit Background (your choice) and an appropriate Race and BAM! One non-shapeshifting Druid.

Also, optimisers like having someone else around who makes them look good; Bards do that, so your fellow players will love you and you secretly get to play more game than them by being involved in every aspect of play; combat, exploration and social.

Seriously, Bards make the best Druids.

Shining Wrath
2017-02-06, 10:07 AM
To offer a different opinion than JellyPooga, just because, consider a Cleric with the Nature domain, or a Beastmaster Ranger. Or even a Totem Barbarian. All have that "outdoorsy" feel without turning into animals.

JellyPooga
2017-02-06, 10:09 AM
To offer a different opinion than JellyPooga, just because, consider a Cleric with the Nature domain, or a Beastmaster Ranger. Or even a Totem Barbarian. All have that "outdoorsy" feel without turning into animals.

These work too :smallbiggrin: As can Fey Pact Warlock and Ancients Paladin (among others).

It depends on what you want out of the "druid" label.

Millstone85
2017-02-06, 10:14 AM
The thread title isn't in harmony with the opening post.

A druid of the Circle of the Land isn't a non shape-shifting druid.

SharkForce
2017-02-06, 02:52 PM

Or maybe a Cleric domain? Or Wizard school?

giving metamagic to just about any primary spellcaster other than sorcerer would not be fine. metamagic is pretty much carrying the sorcerer. in every other way, sorcerer is significantly inferior to other spellcasters, and the only thing keeping them in the game at all is metamagic. give that to a class that already *has* a lot going for it, and you're going to break that class in a big way.

Specter
2017-02-06, 04:59 PM
I believe Wild Shape sould be perfectly interchangeable with the new Revised Ranger's Animal Companion. If anyone tries it, please let me know.

Logosloki
2017-02-06, 05:22 PM
Land Druid has a lot of control options and a good mix of non-combat solvers. The lower ranked beasts still give you good scouting and escape options, or a good option for when you are bereft of spellcasting.