PDA

View Full Version : Question about Goodberry

IIzak
2017-02-06, 09:25 AM
Hey, so I'm currently DM'ing a game that has a druid in it, and the party just fought a group of Buckawn, who carry Moonseed berries around with them in order to coat their daggers in the poison from the berries.

Moonseed Berries: Contact or ingested, Fort DC 18, initial damage 3d6 Con, no secondary damage; Price 1,500 gp.

Having these berries got me thinking, if you were to cast the goodberry spell on poisonous berries, would it purify the poison and make them safe, or would the berries still be dangerous to eat?

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-06, 09:35 AM
The berries are the target of the spell and are given additional properties. Nothing in the spell removed the existing properties of the berries. If they are poison to start with they are still poison, they just now heal 1 point of damage and provide a day of nourishment.

That said, berries carried around by a monster are not freshly picked and thus not a valid target of the goodberry spell.

Though the druid casting the spell would likely get a survival or knowledge nature check to identify the berries and failing that would notice that he had to make a fort save from touching the berries during the casting of the spell.

This gives me ideas for an evil druid. I am thinking delay poison and then letting the target eat a bunch of poison goodberries before dispelling the delay poison spell and letting the poison hit them all at once.

Duke of Urrel
2017-02-06, 03:48 PM
This gives me ideas for an evil druid. I am thinking delay poison and then letting the target eat a bunch of poison goodberries before dispelling the delay poison spell and letting the poison hit them all at once.

Baaad berry! :smalleek:

This trick is even easier for a druid of ninth level or higher, who has immunity to all poisons.

Psyren
2017-02-11, 05:07 PM
That said, berries carried around by a monster are not freshly picked and thus not a valid target of the goodberry spell.

This would be my ruling as well

Lormador
2017-02-11, 08:32 PM
The berries are the target of the spell and are given additional properties. Nothing in the spell removed the existing properties of the berries. If they are poison to start with they are still poison, they just now heal 1 point of damage and provide a day of nourishment.

Though the druid casting the spell would likely get a survival or knowledge nature check to identify the berries and failing that would notice that he had to make a fort save from touching the berries during the casting of the spell.

Why, it just so happens that I have a cabal of evil treants and other assorted creatures who could do this trick... with the berries they grow themselves! Mwahahahahaha!

I have a game today and you just made that encounter a whole lot more interesting.