PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane Dabbler and Experimental Spellcaster

Hate9
2017-02-06, 01:35 PM
I've been looking at the Arcane Dabbler regional trait and the Experimental Spellcaster feat.

EDIT: For the record, this is referring to the Arcane Dabbler regional trait, not the racial trait.

The Arcane Dabbler trait says
Select two non-harmful arcane cantrips. You can cast these two cantrips once per day each (caster level 1st). and Experimental Spellcaster states:
Prerequisites : Ability to cast spells. This looks like I should be able to take the feat, but in the feat's effect, it states:
Select one class that grants you the ability to cast spells. You can now use the slots from that class to cast a limited number of words of power spells. Add all of the target words to your spell list and your spellbook, familiar, or list of spells known. In addition, add the boost meta word and one effect word of any level you can cast in the chosen class. (inflection mine), which means that I would have to use my nonexistent spell slots for the feat, which is confusing.

Thoughts?

Diarmuid
2017-02-06, 03:14 PM
Yes you meet the prerequisites to select ES as a feat. But to actually make any use out of ES you would need a "class that grants you the ability to cast spells". Without that, you cannot make any use of the feat even though you technically can select it using a feat slot.