PDA

View Full Version : +3 net: what could it be made of

The Shadowdove
2017-02-06, 01:48 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

My party is level 7 without a single magical weapon. I've given them masterwork weapons up until now, and they've been pretty happy whenever they happen across one.

I'm going to give them a magical net as a loot item from a sideplot triton bbeg.

What should would you have a magical net be made of?

What's the DC to cut through it, if it is at all possible?

If it's cut through, is it damaged forever?

Thanks in advance,

Dove

JellyPooga
2017-02-06, 01:55 PM
It's magical, so use whatever rules you're using for damaging/repairing magic items.

As for material, it came from a Triton, you say? Something appropriately nautical seems the order of the day. Some thoughts;

- Mermaid hair
- Seaweed (perhaps some cool sounding rare variety)
- Man'o'War/Jellyfish tentacles

Douche
2017-02-06, 02:01 PM
A net made of PURE FORCE

or, like, electricity. That'd be cool too

Cybren
2017-02-06, 02:06 PM
Three +1 nets

Joe the Rat
2017-02-06, 02:14 PM
Fine mithral chains.

Either the cut/burst/free move does not damage the net, or the net repairs itself (particularly good for seaweed/ seagrass/ coral/ jellyfish based nets).

So does that +3 add to the escape DC?

Sception
2017-02-06, 02:16 PM
+3's pretty mighty. Maybe the hair of a deity or demigod?

StoicLeaf
2017-02-06, 02:36 PM
LLoth's butt silk.

JellyPooga
2017-02-06, 02:44 PM
Following my earlier post on marine themes;

- Here's an interesting article (http://archimer.ifremer.fr/doc/2007/publication-2607.pdf) on some research done on Eelgrass (a type of sea-grass). Apparently it has similar tensile strength to terrestrial fibres like flax, but much greater flexibility due to its finer fibres; sounds pretty good for a net to me (but I'm no expert) and "Eelgrass" sounds cool! Tack on some fantasy-appropriate "it's rare and expensive" pre/suffix and your golden...hmm, let's see...how about Elemental Eelgrass or Abyssal Eelgrass (from an ocean abyss, not the Plane...though I suppose Baatorian Eelgrass would be appropriate!)?

- Or how about sea-silk (http://www.muschelseide.ch/en/projekt.html). Not really a good material for nets, but magical reinforcement should take care of that. Importantly, though, it sounds cool ("Sea-silk? Badass...it's like normal silk, but better because it's from the sea") and best of all, it looks like spun gold. Sweet!

- It's probably not that appropriate for nets (unless you're looking for some barbs), but Sea-Snail (aka: Limpet) Teeth (http://www.livescience.com/49844-limpet-teeth-strongest-natural-material.html) have debunked spider-silk as the strongest naturally produced substance. A magically treated Giant-Limpet Tooth dagger would sound daft, but have some decent grounding in scientific fact! Ah, bless those little limpets; who'd have thought the tenacious little buggers would come up with something better than our best modern steel-alloys?

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-06, 03:07 PM
+3's pretty mighty.

I know, right?
My party is level 7 and doesn't have a single magical item. I think I'll give them a legendary one to make up for lost time....
I mean, it's only a net, but it's a friggin LEGENDARY net!

NecroDancer
2017-02-06, 03:07 PM
1. Golden thread.

2. Dragon sinew (does 1d4 points of damage for each round the target is stuck).

3. Liquid metal that somehow stays in a net shape.

4. Pure dream-stuff.

The Shadowdove
2017-02-06, 04:14 PM
I know, right?
My party is level 7 and doesn't have a single magical item. I think I'll give them a legendary one to make up for lost time....
I mean, it's only a net, but it's a friggin LEGENDARY net!

Hah!

Well it's going to be a net either way. It's kind of a troll legendary item. You still get disadvantage to all attacks, and I doubt anyone is going to invest into sharpshooter or crossbow expert to negate some of the penalties.

The two meleers in the party use either GWF or sword and board, so seeing who uses it is going to be amusing.

It may be less than underpowered if the +3 applies to attack AND damage for the net.

Someone mentioned the DC. Should the +3 apply to the DC and AC of the net as well?

That aside, thanks for all of the cool ideas so far everyone.

Naanomi
2017-02-06, 04:15 PM
+3 is the strongest nonartifact net available; go for exotic if you like... made of strands of mist, or a living plant's roots, or a constellation like web of stars...

Kane0
2017-02-06, 04:31 PM
You might want to use an aquatic equivalent of the Golden Fleece or something. I think there was a Norse goddess who had a net that Loki borrowed for something, apparently it worked really well on men out on the water.

Callin
2017-02-06, 04:37 PM
Insert Nauticle Oceanic Name here

This +3 net requires attunement. Its a seashell on a bracelet that when you use the attack action you can substitute an attack to have strands of Sea Kelp (or insert Eelgrass or exotic material here) wrap around your opponent. You may make the attack using either dex or str. The DC to break out is 13 and it has 8 hp. As a bonus action the user can make the net go back into the shell ready to be used again.

That way if its broke or cut they dont lose the item an attunment because its more powerful than a standard net, but you did say legendary!

edit- clarification and it sounded weird to me.

Logosloki
2017-02-06, 05:19 PM
It really depends on how the item is being sold to the party. Just a +3 net? Stick to exotic material sources like Silk from High CR spiders, Materials from the bottom of oceans, Hair from magical beasts, Rare Material plane Metals. Going all out? Filaments of from the elemental plane of lightning, Hair from a lesser deity, As StoicLeaf said "lloth's Butt Silk", Universal Solvent.

Cybren
2017-02-06, 05:24 PM
+3 is the strongest nonartifact net available; go for exotic if you like... made of strands of mist, or a living plant's roots, or a constellation like web of stars...

Or three +1 nets. Come on guys, this is just basic math!

Yagyujubei
2017-02-06, 05:49 PM
I like the idea of the jellyfish tentacles! maybe give the net a paralytic property with a DC. aside from that Mythril first popped into my head as one of the substances that is strong yet flexible enough to pull that off, maybe it could be made of ropes woven from mythril, platinum, and man o war tentacles with ornately carved barbs made of deep sea coral at the intersections meant to imbed themselves into the flesh of victims and make it harder to get out of the snare.

Drackolus
2017-02-06, 05:55 PM
I third the butt-silk.

I would apply it to the ac and dc as well as the attack roll. It feels analogous.
But what would be COOLER if it were simply indestructable, making beating the dc the only way out of it. And if you want to make it especially strong, still increase that dc.
Come to think of it, are magic items still indestructable (barring magic)? I'll have to check the dmg. If it's indestructable, then logically it could not be cut through by RAW.

Drackolus
2017-02-06, 06:00 PM
Most magic items are objects of extraordinary artisanship. Thanks to a combination of careful crafting and magical reinforcement, a magic item is at least as durable as a nonmagical item of its kind. Most magic items, other than potions and scrolls, have resistance to all damage. Artifacts are practically indestructible, requiring extraordinary measures to destroy.
There you have it; resistance to all damage. Effectively doubles it's health. Of course, if it does not regenerate, then it will stink to lose your one magical item after a single use.

Akolyte01
2017-02-06, 06:23 PM
Drider silk!

Insert Nauticle Oceanic Name here

This +3 net requires attunement. Its a seashell on a braclet that when you use the attack action you can substitute an attack to have strands of Sea Kelp (or insert Eelgrass or exotic material here) wrap around your opponent. They must make an attack using dex or str. The DC to break out is 13 and it has 8 hp. As a bonus action the user can make the net go back into the shell ready to be used again.

That way if its broke or cut they dont lose the item an attunment because its more powerful than a standard net, but you did say legendary!

That's a good idea too. Spiderman web shooter! xD

Hrugner
2017-02-07, 03:19 PM
Making a magic net out of a non-regenerating material would seem pretty wasteful. Troll hair seems a little too plain for a +3 item, but I'm not sure whatever regenerating monsters are out there. Átahsaia hair maybe? Though really, the players wouldn't know what the stuff was made out of other than "regenerating hair", so it probably doesn't matter.

Dalebert
2017-02-07, 05:44 PM
LLoth's butt silk.

This made me LOL, but then inspired me. The net is spider silk and the spiders who spun it are still crawling all over it and constantly laying eggs and reproducing. When it's destroyed, the spiders repair it in X rounds. If you kill all the spider, eggs hatch and make new spiders in X rounds.

Squibsallotl
2017-02-07, 08:59 PM
2. Dragon sinew (does 1d4 points of damage for each round the target is stuck).

Dammit, someone beat me to it :(

Need anything thread-like that is super strong, super rare, or super magical? Dragon sinew.

TripleD
2017-02-07, 09:56 PM
Memories and self-reflection.

Upon being hit with it enemies realize that the real "net" they're trapped in is the decisions they've made up to this point in their life. They reflect on all the people they've hurt and stepped on to reach where they are now. That's when they realize they don't want to be the bad guy anymore. They can change! The net can be broken! They can resolve to escape and become better monsters!