PDA

View Full Version : PSA: We have a rage mage! (sort of)

Deleted
2017-02-06, 02:12 PM
Barbarian 2/Sorcerer (Stone) 6
Mountain Dwarf or Variant Human

Sorcerer is essentially a d8 class

AC: 13 + Con (no more reliance on dex and armor!)

Stone Aegis: Not a spell and not using concentration. Do you know what this means? While raging I can fricken teleport!

As a reaction I can teleport up to 60' (some limotations apply) and whack a creature in the face.

Now if I'm sure that I could put rogue 14/stone sorcerer 6 and get more damage out of this but a fricken Rage Mage!

Martials may not get nice things (like a rage mage subclass) but at least magic-users get nice martial things.

Maxilian
2017-02-06, 02:17 PM
For a moment i was like... Stone what? what are you talking about (didnt know the UA was out), another thing that work out for a Rage Mage is the Rune Master (for example: The Fire Rune is not a spell, and its a Hit or Hit -Magic Missile Style-, so its a good way to make sure your Rage won't fade because noone attacked you or because you didn't hit anyone)

Kileonhardt
2017-02-06, 05:33 PM
I think my favorite part of this is how much damage you get on critical boops (that's what I'm calling the teleport attacks). As a Rogue/Sorc of 11th level you critical boop for 2d8 + 6d6 + 2d10. I like it.

Deleted
2017-02-06, 05:47 PM
I think my favorite part of this is how much damage you get on critical boops (that's what I'm calling the teleport attacks). As a Rogue/Sorc of 11th level you critical boop for 2d8 + 6d6 + 2d10. I like it.

I feel like a group of these would be hella fun.

Barbarian /Sorcerer
Rogue/Sorcerer
Paladin/Sorcerer
Wizard (adjuration)

Everyone put their Aegis on the wizard who walks up to the dragon and just dares it to hit him...

Edit===

Holy CRAP

CROWN OF MADNESS

The wizard can make you attack him!

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-06, 05:51 PM

Barbarian /Sorcerer
Rogue/Sorcerer
Paladin/Sorcerer
Wizard (adjuration)

Everyone put their Aegis on the wizard who walks up to the dragon and just dares it to hit him...

Make it a Wizard/Warlock for AoA and Hellish Rebuke.

If not using Crown of Madness, add in Investiture of Flame for even more.

Deleted
2017-02-06, 05:55 PM
Make it a Wizard/Warlock for AoA and Hellish Rebuke.

If not using Crown of Madness, add in Investiture of Flame for even more.

This is too much...

Is there a spell that grants crits that isn't Hold Person (as hold person doesnt actually let CoM work)

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-06, 06:03 PM
This is too much...

"There is no 'overkill'. There are only 'open fire' and 'reload'."

Is there a spell that grants crits that isn't Hold Person (as hold person doesnt actually let CoM work)

Not that I know of, sadly, but I'd love to find one.

And if the three Sorcerers had active Smite spells, using the Stone Sorcerer list, that's even more damage on their attacks.

Now imagine that they all have one-level dips in Undying Light Warlock and are using Searing/Blinding/Branding Smite...

Kileonhardt
2017-02-06, 06:05 PM

Barbarian /Sorcerer
Rogue/Sorcerer
Paladin/Sorcerer
Wizard (adjuration)

Edit===

Holy CRAP

CROWN OF MADNESS

The wizard can make you attack him!

Paladin can also Compelled Duel. Can use a Divination Wizard to try and get at least one crit for a huge smite or sneak attack per day.

Deleted
2017-02-06, 06:21 PM
"There is no 'overkill'. There are only 'open fire' and 'reload'."

Not that I know of, sadly, but I'd love to find one.

And if the three Sorcerers had active Smite spells, using the Stone Sorcerer list, that's even more damage on their attacks.

Now imagine that they all have one-level dips in Undying Light Warlock and are using Searing/Blinding/Branding Smite...

It took them 3 years but they finally broke down and brought back 3.5!

I hope they make the Stone Sorcerer legit soon and dont put a 1 Aegis/target clause in there!

It's only an issue if the FM lets it be an issue...

I've always loved that quote!

Sicarius Victis
2017-02-06, 06:30 PM
It took them 3 years but they finally broke down and brought back 3.5!

I liked that you could do this kind of stuff in 3.5. I just disliked that it was almost mandatory to be competitive.

I hope they make the Stone Sorcerer legit soon and dont put a 1 Aegis/target clause in there!

Yeah. Presumably, sometime soon after all of the classes' UAs, there should be a PHB II or something coming out. And while a 1/target clause might help avoid some stupidity, I feel there are a lot of other things they'd have nerfed if they were going that way. At least here, you have to tailor the entire party to do it well.

I've always loved that quote!

In all honesty, so have I.

Deleted
2017-02-06, 06:45 PM
I liked that you could do this kind of stuff in 3.5. I just disliked that it was almost mandatory to be competitive.

Yeah. Presumably, sometime soon after all of the classes' UAs, there should be a PHB II or something coming out. And while a 1/target clause might help avoid some stupidity, I feel there are a lot of other things they'd have nerfed if they were going that way. At least here, you have to tailor the entire party to do it well.

In all honesty, so have I.

See, this is why so many people took to 4e even though it looked weird (note: book sales are deceptive cause they had an online subscription model that was very lucrative). You didn't have to optimize or make weird builds or groups in order to stay competitive with the game... But hot damn, was it fun to do so.

I want this in 5e. I want the option to nuke the world if my group wants to play that style, but I don't want it to be mandatory.