PDA

View Full Version : Path of War gestalt character idea.

sage20500
2017-02-06, 03:21 PM
After reading over some of the feat support for shattered mirror, riven hour glass, and veiled moon, i felt the urge to try and build a character that resembles Oni Lee's power from worm in the idea of being able to teleport almost at will while leaving a clone of yourself behind to cause chaos. Currently trying to do this by making an assura tiefling stalker\\hidden blade rogue, but aside from a few of the style feats to help with the chaos causing, im not sure what else i should be looking at feat or equipment wise to help the character out more.

Currently debating between maining a kukri and having several star knives to chuck as a ranged option for using tempest gale and steel serphent maneuvers on the hidden blade side for more options of debilitating effects, or if i should go bushi stalker to get free prof with the light blade katana (cant remeber its name) and use that and a star knife for the same above effects.

Im also looking at possibly taking 10 levels of umbral blade on the hidden blade side of the gestalt for the prcs benefits.

Maneuver wise, im taking the unorthodox method trait to swap broken blade out to gain shattered mirror on the stalker, and using the stalker to focus on shattered mirror, riven hourglass, and veiled moon.

Hidden blade is picking up steel serphent and tempest gale maneuvers only.

sage20500
2017-02-06, 03:23 PM
I guess gameplay wise, im trying to shoot for the feel of that trickster rogue archetype that uses a now you see me, now you dont method of fighting as a way to mess with her opponents as well as to taunt them.

the_archduke
2017-02-06, 10:17 PM
Why would you take medium BaB initiators on both sides of a gestalt? What is hidden blade rogue doing for the build? Going initiator//initiator is like going wizard//cleric. Sounds good in theory. In practice, you only have one set of actions per round.

Stalker is fine for one half of the gestalt. It gives you all the initiating you have time for. he other half should be something that is complementary to initiating. Something that gives you feats and/or bonus damage. Something that improves your chassis. Aegis, Slayer, heck even Fighter gives you those things.

sage20500
2017-02-07, 02:52 AM
I was looking at rogue mainly for a source of sneak attack damage (a lot of the maneuvers I'm picking up make enemies flat footed) as well as the 8 skill points per level since I have a 0 int mod, and the game I'm applying for seems to be over-saturated with the investigator class, plus I was using the class itself to get access to weapon finesse and adding dex to damage with my primary weapon (GM is allowing hidden blade archetype on unchained rogue). Maneuver wise I was mainly using it to have a few ranged options with Tempest Gale along with mithral current counters since my stalker side is focusing on Steel Serpent, Shattered Mirror, and Veiled Moon. I probably could just go ahead and drop the hidden blade part altogether to just poach 1 or 2 Tempest Gale Ranged Strikes/Mithral Current Counters from Stalker and gain Rogue Talents, but unless I want to drop Disable Device and Escape Artist from my skills list, I need to have ranks in Heal, Perform Dance, Stealth, Perception, Sense Motive, and Sleight of Hand, since Craft Glassmaking and Perform Act are my background skills.

The adventure I'm applying to join is running The Council of Thieves, and the GM has said highly recommended having most of those skills, and since the app's are set for private and he hasn't picked out the other 2 people who are going to be in the game yet I don't know who else might be covering what.

Morphic tide
2017-02-07, 08:09 AM
So, basically, you are taking a Maneuver set that has a bunch of flat-footed inflicting and combining it with Rogue? Is there any particular need for a Maneuver-using Rogue that can't be done better by a different archetype?

the_archduke
2017-02-07, 08:35 AM
Why not ditch stalker then? Hidden blade rogue gives you access to veiled moon and shattered mirror. You can pick up riven hourglass with a trait (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/pow-e-traits/unorthodox-method-regional-any) or a martial tradition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/martial-traditions/lords-of-the-wheel)

Stalker has a bad recovery mechanic anyway. You could combine hidden blade rogue with Aegis, Fighter, or Ranger.

Or go really out of the box and gestalt with Paladin. You said you were considering star-knives. Consider way of the shooting star (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/divine-fighting-technique-combat)